Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Doc's foam work + new Mark 42 glove vid

Amazing work as always Doc!

Working on a new build in time for C2E2 end of April here in Chicago. As always, watching your finishing methods with great interest. Tried a test coat of the SET and it does seem to present a more flexible surface without the creasing during inward flexing. So, how does this all line up in the overall finish method? Still using all the steps with Elmers, Mod Podge, etc?

Let me know when you get a second and as always, keep up the great work man. I'll be posting shots of my new suit in progress soon.

This is what I was thinking of using for the fingers: Split Loom Tubing
CW-BK1-PVC.jpg

Yes i posted that somewhere in my thread already. Yes that is what I use but alot more goes into that. If ya just slap a piece on the finger will be hard to move and be tight. I use heat and lots of elastic to make sure its comfortable and move easily.

As for my process this is the rundown for painting

1. heatseal
2. 4-5 coats just modpodge give time to cure
3. 4 coats or even 5 if need be of LET spray and let cure in between coats and after last coat let dry even for 24hrs
4. make sure piece is clean that no dust or anything is on it if so water n dish soap, Make sure no lint is left when drying
5. the most critical part adhesion promoter. Follow directions exactly how the brand your using says to. I put 4 coats. But cant stress enough to follow instructions cuz theres a window to apply paint and if not done right the adhesion promoter is useless.
5. I paint immediatly after last coat of adhesion promoter but first coat very light for as is called the tack coat. It helps the paint adhere better. Apply no more than 2 coats. Let cure
6. krylon fusion clear. gollow instructions and apply 2-3 coats.

Pretty simple huh? So if done right you'll get the finish I get. Im showing my process to help out my fellow members that asked how I get a nice finish. It took me alot of time n effort to find somthing that worked for me to get a more durable finish for my stuff. I showed more than enough proof of the results I get and now you guys can get the same results. So if you dont achieve same results its cuz you didnt follow instructions. Perform nail scratch test after paint has been cured which is scratch it with your finger nail pretty good and if paint can be scratched off you did somthing wrong that the paint didnt adhere well. Like I mentioned I taped it for painting with really hard to remove masking tape and if it didnt bond it wouldve peeled of with tape but it didnt at all. So good luck and Enjoy:) That reminds me need to get better tape:lol

Last edited:

From most automotive autobody repair folks I've talked to, they say the window is to let the promoter 'flash' for 30-45 minutes or so. Then primer or paint as required. =)

Nice job on the LET, by the way... I'm going to go pick some up and see what I can finagle with it. =)

Yes i posted that somewhere in my thread already. Yes that is what I use but alot more goes into that. If ya just slap a piece on the finger will be hard to move and be tight. I use heat and lots of elastic to make sure its comfortable and move easily.

As for my process this is the rundown for painting

1. heatseal
2. 4-5 coats just modpodge give time to cure
3. 4 coats or even 5 if need be of LET spray and let cure in between coats and after last coat let dry even for 24hrs
4. make sure piece is clean that no dust or anything is on it if so water n dish soap, Make sure no lint is left when drying
5. the most critical part adhesion promoter. Follow directions exactly how the brand your using says to. I put 4 coats. But cant stress enough to follow instructions cuz theres a window to apply paint and if not done right the adhesion promoter is useless.
5. I paint immediatly after last coat of adhesion promoter but first coat very light for as is called the tack coat. It helps the paint adhere better. Apply no more than 3 coats. Let cure
6. I then spray 1coat of adhesion promoter then let flash then immediatly put krylon fusion clear. gollow instructions and apply 3-4 coats.

Pretty simple huh? So if done right you'll get the finish I get. Enjoy:)

6. I then spray 1coat of adhesion promoter then let flash then immediatly put krylon fusion clear. gollow instructions and apply 3-4 coats.

When you say "let flash" what exactly do you mean? Also, are you using cans of spray paint or are you mixing your own with thinner and spraying with a spray gun?

From most automotive autobody repair folks I've talked to, they say the window is to let the promoter 'flash' for 30-45 minutes or so. Then primer or paint as required. =)

Nice job on the LET, by the way... I'm going to go pick some up and see what I can finagle with it. =)

yup but It depends on which adhesion promoter you use. They have different instructions.

When you say "let flash" what exactly do you mean? Also, are you using cans of spray paint or are you mixing your own with thinner and spraying with a spray gun?

Flash time is....The time needed to allow solvents to evaporate from a freshly painted surface before applying another coat. If you watch close you'll see when it happens.
I use all spray cans. I dont try to complicate things and use the K.I.S.S method lol if you dont know what that is it tands for Keep It Simple Stupid:) try to keep all the same brands of spray. like the bulldog is awesome but can get spendy so duplicolor is fine. So make sure you follow instructions and the product you use .

To let something 'flash' means allowing the solvents within the paint or compound to evaporate.
In lay-man's terms it gets a bit 'tacky' but isn't completely dry.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but that's how I've come to understand it.

To let something 'flash' means allowing the solvents within the paint or compound to evaporate.
In lay-man's terms it gets a bit 'tacky' but isn't completely dry.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but that's how I've come to understand it.

It will come to look cloudy and do not touch it with hands to see if its dry:lol

Flash time is....The time needed to allow solvents to evaporate from a freshly painted surface before applying another coat. If you watch close you'll see when it happens.
I use all spray cans. I dont try to complicate things and use the K.I.S.S method lol if you dont know what that is it tands for Keep It Simple Stupid:) try to keep all the same brands of spray. like the bulldog is awesome but can get spendy so duplicolor is fine. So make sure you follow instructions and the product you use .

OK. That makes sense. I'll do some tests on scrap foam and see how it goes...Thanks!

Re: Doc's foam work + new Mark 42 glove vid and steps of my painting process

Awesome build Doc, i was looking at the liquid electrical tape and i was wondering if it mattered if i used the clear or the black?

Awesome build Doc, i was looking at the liquid electrical tape and i was wondering if it mattered if i used the clear or the black?

I dont think so but to be honest never tried the clear. But that doesnt mean it doesnt work. So if ckear is all you can get go ahead n use it but if theres black stick with that one.

want a right off the assembly line finish this is what I did. I let the clear coat cure fir more than a week. I very lightly wetsanded with 500 grit till it dulled it. Cleaned it thoroughly. Dry it very good. then I used modpodge super shine I found at hobbylobby. Its supposed to give durable finish that will stay flexible. Sprayed 3 light coats and thats what you get. It does not look like a foam piece at all. My methods I shared have little to no labor at all. No rondo, smooth on or epoxy resins. Just take your time also don't handle for 24hrs. It feels pretty durable like its been gelcoated. Im trying to create an easy affordable way to get a finish that looks like a million bucks that you all can acheive too;)

Last edited:
Doc's foam work + new painting method for even shinier finish

Hey guys just was wonder how you guys connected the forarm to the bicep did you use Chicago screws like stealth does or Did u use another method I go my arms done just wondering how to connect it View attachment 152066

Re: Doc's foam work + new painting method for even shinier finish

Doc I got a question for you that you might know the answer to. Can you sit when wearing foam armor?

Re: Doc's foam work + new painting method for even shinier finish

Doc I got a question for you that you might know the answer to. Can you sit when wearing foam armor?

To be honest I really havent even tried to sit in it. Mayb just have cod easily removable. Just make sure ya wear somthin underneath:lol i know dumb joke:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back