Star Blazers Yamato Model - 2 years to make !

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
No, it didn't take me 2 years to build it, only 2 days .... it took 2 years of putting it off UNTIL I decided to make it :lol

Got this off the bay a couple of years back for 20 bucks. I enjoyed making it, and its not so bad looking :)

The movie coming out in December inspired me to finally do this small build ... in preparation for the props I'll have my eye out for thereafter :love

yamato1.jpg

yamato2-419x600.jpg

yamato3.jpg

yamato4-530x600.jpg

looks great I have one started in the back room, good idea to start it with the film coming out.
Top Job....

I've got a 1/350 and a 1/500 in storage (both built) and I keep a 1/700 on display.
The 1/700 has awkward proportions... the nose is too big, like a semi forced perspective look to accentuate the wave motion cannon. The 1/350 is absolute perfection, but there are so many delicate parts on it and it was so freaking expensive... am just looking forward to when my kids are a little older and less destructive around delicate objects so I can put it out on display again.

I also have a pair of those tiny 1/2500 (or whatever they are) ones on my desk of both Argo and Andromeda.

I'm not too concerned about the proportions. The one and only thing I 'don't like' about the 1/700 is that the hull plates become indistinguishable after the paint is applied. They are way to subtle on the raw plastic. So the hull ends up looking like a whole piece. Still, I like it :) ... which doesn't detract me from thinking about getting a small diescast model to sit beside it :love

I have yesterday started the 1/144 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon, and have already applied the base paint. NO details were lost. Matter of quality & what you pay for I suppose.

Alancastillo1, yours looks way better than mine, Then again I had to strip mine down 3 times and I had to recast some of my own parts. Also I said forget it with the gun ring decals.

yamato.jpg

I have a questions for you Yamato fans;
I will most likely ask this again in the general modeling forum but I wanted to get some of your thoughts. I really wanted to get a 1/350 scale space battle ship Yamato to build as well. The Bandi one can be found for around 300.00 that is a huge chunk of change; however, it comes with lights, and motorized turrets.
Here is a youtube vid:
YouTube - my 1/350 Space Battleship Yamato - Built

However I think it comes pre painted and is more a toy (like gundam stuff) rather than a model.

I was thinking about scrap building one, but after seeing this guys 7’ one, how can I ever compare to that? I mean that this guy built it from wood? Holy fraking crap!
http://www.geocities.jp/dourakuoyadi/newpage1.htm

So I was considering getting a 1/350 WWII battle ship Yamato and adding to it to make the space battle ship Yamato. I am not sure what is involved in this but I figure it will be a good bath of fire for scrap building. Your thoughts???

I cant wait for the movie!!!

the 1:350 is prepainted, but it's not finished... you still have to do quite a bit of work to it to complete it, and since it's unassembled it's a good platform for lots of subtle mods and detailing. I've seen some builds that are unbelievable compared to mine. I just did a little weathering to mine.

Alancastillo1, yours looks way better than mine, Then again I had to strip mine down 3 times and I had to recast some of my own parts. Also I said forget it with the gun ring decals.

yamato.jpg

I have a questions for you Yamato fans;
I will most likely ask this again in the general modeling forum but I wanted to get some of your thoughts. I really wanted to get a 1/350 scale space battle ship Yamato to build as well. The Bandi one can be found for around 300.00 that is a huge chunk of change; however, it comes with lights, and motorized turrets.
Here is a youtube vid:
YouTube - my 1/350 Space Battleship Yamato - Built

However I think it comes pre painted and is more a toy (like gundam stuff) rather than a model.

I was thinking about scrap building one, but after seeing this guys 7’ one, how can I ever compare to that? I mean that this guy built it from wood? Holy fraking crap!
http://www.geocities.jp/dourakuoyadi/newpage1.htm

So I was considering getting a 1/350 WWII battle ship Yamato and adding to it to make the space battle ship Yamato. I am not sure what is involved in this but I figure it will be a good bath of fire for scrap building. Your thoughts???

I cant wait for the movie!!!

That wooden one is nice but it doesn't look 7 feet long to me. 5 feet max. That or the guy has some huge furniture and really small
hands. He is holding it in some pictures. Looks to small to be that big.

Nice job on both of them though.

For those who may be interested, the official movie site for the Yamato live-action film now has released the full trailer:

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO

To say I'm excited about this is an understatement. Here's hoping they'll have a few screenings here in North America!

There is a lot of work into making the 1/350 scale one.It's worth every penny,and I'm sorry I had to sell mine.DoDo models are all 1/500 scale.Oh,forgot about that one..........the guy's a master.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back