data-ad-slot="8074082067">
Page 1 of 69 1234561151 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 10:27 AM - Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #1

Hi folks,
    I'm a pretty new user, and I wanted to post the project I'm currently working on. I realize the forum is dedicated to real models, and believe me I wish I were making a real model of this, but I feel like you guys will appreciate this model. I also sort of hope to use this model as a basis for a real version, either scaled down or, the real dream, a full scale version.

I'm attempting to make the cockpit as screen accurate as possible to the ANH version, which has many differences from the rest of the trilogy--working from production blueprints, many screen grabs and behind the scenes stills.

My biggest roadblocks at the moment are the two largest side panels on the Han side of the cockpit, which are temporarily symetrical with Chewie's side. very few images exist of that side without Han's grinning face blocking all the juicy details. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had some images.

The model is also available on sketchup for anyone who wants to take a look: Cockpit of the Millennium Falcon by stince - Google 3D Warehouse

any feedback or critiques is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. data-ad-slot="0616422165">
    data-ad-slot="7126682982">
    Dec 8, 2010, 10:50 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #2

Love it! Look forward to seeing it develop.

Is there room for the second row of chairs?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 10:54 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #3

Thanks Treadwell!

Absolutely, although I agree that it looks like it's going to be cramped. The basic construction of the cockpit for Empire was almost identical in design to this one, except that there's about a foot or more extra room added to the back half, no doubt to address this very problem.
  5. RPF Premium Member Alan Castillo's Avatar
    From
    Malta
    Dec 8, 2010, 11:01 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #4

That's pretty cool ! I like it
    From
    High River (Smallville), Alberta
    Dec 8, 2010, 11:09 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #5

You should try to sell it to Playstation. They have the cantina as a location you can interact with other PS3 people so if they could extend it to the hanger bay and have the falcon..that would be fun!
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:12 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #6

This is really awesome. I'm looking forward to watching this thread develop. I'd love to see you or somebody take these plans and build a 'real-world' mock-up of the Falcon's cockpit. Who know's, once you finish I might even try to build a full-scale mock-up one of these years! Although I think I'd rather have the extra room of the ESB or ROTJ cockpit. Good luck!
  8. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:37 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #7

Did we ever see a good shot of the pilot's side instrument panel and actual hand controls?

I think Leia was "steering" something in Empire if memory serves.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:41 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #8

Just so long as you build it in the US and I can come visit the thing.

I agree that the ESB dimensions would be preferable for a real build, especially since I see hanging out inside with friends
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:42 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #9

Great work.
    I like it.

Al
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:49 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #10

there are few good shots of the steering columns, but they only feature in the ESB and ROTJ cockpits

there's a better one in black and white the shows the whole panel and those controls very clearly but I'll have to dig it up again
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:56 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #11

Thanks for all the comments guys, I look forward to posting more progress
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Dec 8, 2010, 2:59 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #12

Doesn't the cockpit have four chairs instead of just two?
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 3:09 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #13

Found it.

@ Laspector
    You're right there are four chairs. The rear seats are pretty complex and I haven't got to them yet. They're similar to the Nav Chair in the main room of the falcon, with a few differences, but still a little tricky to reference. There's a lot of little stuff going on that's obscured by cast members or other objects/angles. rest assured that they'll be there in when I done though.
  15. Banned
    Dec 8, 2010, 5:42 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #14

Looks amazing
  16. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    Dec 8, 2010, 6:02 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #15

What the heck did they make those control yokes out of!?
    From
    Docking Bay 94
    Dec 8, 2010, 7:33 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #16

Awesome Work Sir!!

I look forward to more of your work, being ANH Falcon fan myself!
    Kershner made those changes to the cockpit in Empire because of how cramped it was, Much to Lucas's dissastifaction! He wanted it cramped like a real Cockpit!

Again, Nice Work!
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    Toronto
    Dec 8, 2010, 7:59 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #17

Hi SteveStarkiller, I was wondering if you've ever seen Ozzyguanche's work? The control panels have fantastic detail and it includes the front control panel, the side panels, the backpanel and the gun turrets. It's a flat view though - Unlike the perspective drawings you are coming up with It's really meant for super-detailing the scale model cockpit. They're the drawings you'll find in this link.

1/6th Millennium Falcon Cockpit - Page 5 - Sideshow Freaks

And Dorgmal Snow at Sideshow Freaks used the same drawings to detail the panels for his sick 1/6th cockpit, aside from his own greeblies - with fantastic results: 1/6th Millennium Falcon Cockpit - Page 41 - Sideshow Freaks
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 8, 2010, 9:12 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #18

@crackerjazz

Yes, I've seen their work. Dorgmal's model is what actually inspired this project. I started out copying his in sketchup and using Ozzyguanche's textures, but started all over from scratch when I saw a few things I would change or tweak--plus I wanted to go for the obsessive photo matching.
  20. Banned
    From
    Sunny Socal, Lancaster to be exact
    Dec 8, 2010, 9:23 PM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #19

SteveStarkiller said: View Post
    Found it.

Hey, look at those volvo dash panels LOL
    Dec 9, 2010, 12:11 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #20

slave1pilot said: View Post
    Hey, look at those volvo dash panels LOL
    The back seats are based on/made from modified Martin Baker Mk 4 ejector seats.
    http://www.martin-baker.com/getdoc/2...ESCAPE_03.aspx
    Pics here http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/seat5.JPG (Mk 4P), here (Mk 4P) PUBLIC COLLECTIONS
    and here ejection seat (Click on "other images..")
    Cheers, JT
  22. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:23 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #21

Rats -

Cool links. I hadn't seen those.

I'm currently building the NAV chair and have a MK4 seat as the base. One thing surprised me and has me frustrated. The defining feature of the seat in Star Wars is the upper headrest. My MK4 headrest is slightly different. I didn't notice it until I really got into building the chair. The Star Wars head rest has a wider angle to it and points to the sky at about 20 to 30 degree angle. My headrest points forward at about 0 degrees. All the MK4s that I have seen look like mine.

You can actually see this in this picture Rats posted...

Another Star Wars mystery perhaps.

I would love to find out why this is.

Also, Stevestarkiller - what are the differences between the Nav chair and the 2 cockpit chairs? I cant say I really noticed any other than the tupperware lid/circle seems to be recessed more on some of the seats.
    From
    Surf City, USA
    Dec 9, 2010, 1:57 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #22

Great build and cool photos! I was happy to see control yokes in ESB; I've always hated those "flying complex maneuvers with random unmarked switches" scenes ("Forbidden World" is a particularly stellar example). During the ANH Death Star escape/TIE battle, Chewy looks like he's rocking out on an electric piano.
    Dec 9, 2010, 8:40 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #23

Stormy320 said: View Post
    Rats -

Cool links. I hadn't seen those.

I'm currently building the NAV chair and have a MK4 seat as the base. One thing surprised me and has me frustrated. The defining feature of the seat in Star Wars is the upper headrest. My MK4 headrest is slightly different. I didn't notice it until I really got into building the chair. The Star Wars head rest has a wider angle to it and points to the sky at about 20 to 30 degree angle. My headrest points forward at about 0 degrees. All the MK4s that I have seen look like mine.

You can actually see this in this picture Rats posted...

Another Star Wars mystery perhaps.

I would love to find out why this is.

Also, Stevestarkiller - what are the differences between the Nav chair and the 2 cockpit chairs? I cant say I really noticed any other than the tupperware lid/circle seems to be recessed more on some of the seats.
    I agree, I thought that the Mk4 upper headrest was slightly different too and initialy thought the seat looked more like a Mk 5 (?GU5A), but Martin Baker's own newsletter should get it right (you would think?).
    The hole in the side of the headrest (where the parachute straps go) looks like it's in a different position in the Falcon to all of the Mk 4 pictures I've seen online. There are a multitude of variants of all the MB seats though...

Maybe we should email MB and ask which variant they think it is??
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 8:52 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #24

Stormy320 said: View Post
    Rats -
    the clearest difference is the absence of the 'second' head rest. A sort of skullcap shaped deal above the ejector seat part (see attached)

the cockpit chairs also (I suspect) have no arm rests. It's difficult to say, but I can't imagine they would with the limited space, especially in the cramped ANH cockpit.

I just went over the movie with a fine toothed comb looking for screen grabs I could use for referencing, and the cockpit chairs are never seen fully or clearly below the headrest. There's a possibility that their dimensions, aside from the ejector seat head, are smaller, but I won't know until I try to fit them in. They'll probably be the last part I build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails navchair1.png   navchair2.jpg  
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dec 9, 2010, 9:00 AM - Re: Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model) #25

got some panel work done last night, but all my renders turned out for crap. I'm still trying to figure out the render software I'm using (indigo) and it's making me pull my hair out. I left my machine rendering while I'm at work today, so hopefully I'll have something good when I get home and I'll post them.

Stay tuned, same falcon time, same falcon channel.
Page 1 of 69 1234561151 ... LastLast