Scratchbuilt Nostromo Bridge

Isnochys79

Hello from France, just starting a new project with remaining cardboard (a lot of !!) from a previous model :

http://www.therpf.com/f11/scratchbuilt-6-feet-alien-nostromo-177228/

Still related to this incredible spaceship, I am now working on its bridge. I have always been fascinated by the art
and the sophisticated design of this set.... but at the same time it always seemed too difficult for me to reproduce it
with the the only thing I am able to work on : cardboard !
Luckily, Steve from England already did the job,spending huge amount of time on this bridge, and I would not have started anything with his great computer renderings as reference.

Well, back with cutter and glue for my second scratchbuilt project....

The first problem in my mind was the seats. I cannot built them entirely from cardboard. I started with a base and add plastiline, trying to create the particular design.

My first try :

DSCN0059.JPG

.. not really satisfying
icon_confused.gif

Trying to improve the cardboard base and plastiline design...

DSCN0002.JPG

The main bridge base (with printed rendering as reference).The final dimensions should be around 23"x23" (60x60 cm).

DSCN0089.JPG

First difficult cuttings, for me
017.gif
, the seat framework.Work in progress with the new seat design ( It will be the original one, I will have to cast it 6 times for the model... something new for me). Eight seats total on the bridge but two rear ones with a different design)

DSCN0093.JPG

Another rendering as reference : the side view

DSCN0098.JPG

Some progress on front and back panels (with one of the monitor).
The first test assembly with the seat.

DSCN0164.JPGDSCN0270.JPGDSCN0388.JPG

Here are some new photos whith the side cockpits on their ways and a first intermediate floor level...

DSCN0386.JPGDSCN0394.JPGDSCN0399.JPG

Working now on the second and third level...

DSCN0431.JPGDSCN0434.JPGDSCN0436.JPG

To improve the model,I always refer to many photos of the original set and particularly the two most known ...

nostromobridge.jpgDSCN0451.JPG

nostromobridgeset.jpgDSCN0453.JPG

Thank you Greg,next step the 1:1 scale ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Osmotic. Moulding seem very difficult from cardboard.But might be possible from another project
from this forum :

http://www.therpf.com/f62/progress-1-18-scale-nostromo-galley-diorama-project-alien-1979-a-148880/

Well done bud... It really begins to look like one of these Art Department paper models !

Can't wait to see more of this (already) awesome project !!!

:cool

For sure Willie ! this project is absolutely fantastic...far far from cardboard.
So many details... I don't know if it will be recast for sale ?

Thank you for your interest and kind words guys

I'm sure you already have lots of reference, but I have a BluRay copy of the extended cut which features some deleted scenes where they analyze the alien transmission on the bridge. If you need more screenshots I could get you some.

Thank you Grey, I have already refer to these scenes for the rear parts.It helps me a lot for this section as it is not visible in the movie from this particular angle.

Glad to see you here mon ami de Propsummit. It's looking very good indeed and that window is spot on. Keep up the excellent work, you're the only one who tackled that cockpit:cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back