Scratchbuilt Research Vessel WIP - New Member Introduction!

I've decided to put a fork in this build and call it done, lol. I got some beauty shots of it, and even made up a custom profile sheet. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement with this build! I have a lot of video footage to edit for this as I recorded the whole build process and will be posting it on my YouTube channel. I'll let you all know when the video is done. I am also looking forward to the next build, which will be a diorama of the first planet surface this "crew" will explore. I also included an N-scale couple on the base to show the scale of the vessel. Here is a quick link to a 30 sec video I made of the ship "hovering" near Fallon, Nevada.

Pathfinder Profiled - 8x11tif.jpg
20231029_130154.jpg20231029_130219.jpg20231029_130233.jpg20231029_130314.jpg20231029_130320.jpg20231029_130359.jpg20231029_130359.jpg20231029_130438.jpg20231029_130445.jpg

Well done Russ.
Thank you!!
Very good:cool::cool:(y)(y)It's almost an "Out of the factory" type of vessel (not much wear & tear;)) As for the video; I would've liked to see the ship better and bigger. It would've been impressive compared to the humans (y)
Thanks Joberg! I totally agree on the video part too. My wife and I actually headed out to do some video of it on Saturday but it was so windy that the ship almost blew over on its filming stand . I'll definitely be doing some more video for the forced perspective aspect soon!!

Hey all!! I just finished my first model construction video and put it on YouTube, if you all would like to check it out :) If you do end up watching it, let me know what you think. I'm totally open for constructive criticism as I would like to make sure my future videos are enjoyable to watch!! Just click on the Youtube link below!
Research Vessel Scratch Build

Last edited:
Hello Mr cosmic quest, this is brilliant, just what the doctor ordered great scratch building, from paper to to plastic sheet to full buiold keep up the great work and get more post on the site, the people on this site are great, always have good positive comments and encouragement. They will also help you in any way they can, there is a wealth of exsperience on the site. Keep that imagination flowing, I am really looking forward to the HERO shots of your craft.

take care keep safe, if you need any help just ask

best regards Barrie ( the old guy )

CosmicQuest,
Went through your thread. Incredible detail wok. What amazes me is the clean / crisp construction work. Takes some real skill that many on this site have. The expert’s trademark. Great build.
I have little success in the smaller size models. Always terrible on plastic & styrene even as a kid. Needed to “go large” and stay with familiar balsa, wood & metal for structure as well as detail.

Hello Mr cosmic quest, this is brilliant, just what the doctor ordered great scratch building, from paper to to plastic sheet to full buiold keep up the great work and get more post on the site, the people on this site are great, always have good positive comments and encouragement. They will also help you in any way they can, there is a wealth of exsperience on the site. Keep that imagination flowing, I am really looking forward to the HERO shots of your craft.

take care keep safe, if you need any help just ask

best regards Barrie ( the old guy )
Thank you Barrie! Your words are very kind! I truly look forward to sharing the rest of my builds as they move along. This is a great group to learn from for sure!!

CosmicQuest,
Went through your thread. Incredible detail wok. What amazes me is the clean / crisp construction work. Takes some real skill that many on this site have. The expert’s trademark. Great build.
I have little success in the smaller size models. Always terrible on plastic & styrene even as a kid. Needed to “go large” and stay with familiar balsa, wood & metal for structure as well as detail.
Thank you Searun!! Your words are so nice!!

Well done on your video.
Do you have any experience with internal lighting for your models?

The model is beautiful as is though!
Hey Carlb. I don't really have much experience... yet :) That is for sure in the future works though. I am starting small with that. My current satellite build has four pulsating blue led's in the core area. That was an experiment as I made the circuit from a diagram I found online. As I learn more about how to do lighting though, the future builds will be more substantial in the lighting area.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back