Ralph Mcquarrie elegant millennium falcon

painting the interior cockpit details 20131125_191442.jpg20131125_191458.jpg

20131217_201633.jpg20131217_195430.jpg20131220_090519.jpg

Snow speeder skimming trees
This is a paper model, made many years go. Just decided to make a small diorama for it .

Sorry I am not sure I know what the Mos Eisley version is . I saw a sketch of the Falcon with out all the extra hardware, from Ralph McQuarrie . What a beautiful design . So decided that was what I was going to do ..

I am now starting to add the minor detail grid lines on the hullgrid lines on saucer penciled in.jpggrid lines on saucer 1.jpggrid lines on saucer.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I am not sure I know what the Mos Eisley version is . I saw a sketch of the Falcon with out all the extra hardware, from Ralph McQuarrie . What a beautiful design . So decided that was what I was going to do ..

I am now starting to add the minor detail grid lines on the hullgrid lines on saucer penciled in.jpggrid lines on saucer 1.jpggrid lines on saucer.jpg

dry fitting the engine vanes on the main bodyengine vanes 2.jpgengine vanes.jpgAny ides of what kind of adhesive I should use to fix the styrene to Bondo?

thanks

Contact adhesive like UHU should work nicely if you spread the layers thinly and follow the instructions. Superglue might be alright, or if you scribe grooves into either side you could even use more bondo

Almost complete cockpit , I think it has a heavy feel. From the drawings the cockpit has a much lighter feel.
Let me know what you guys think.almost complete cockpit.jpgalmost complete cockpit top view.jpgalmost complete cockpit side view.jpgalmost complete cockpit front view.jpgNot quite a perfect perfect cone.

I am thinking of using epoxy, clamp everything down and let it dry overnight. I am not sure anything bonds well with Bondo. Maybe resin?

The problem with Bondo is that it's not a structural material. It's A, brittle B , porous and C, relatively soft. Epoxy will work, it's just slow and messy. If the resin you're talking about is polyester resin (ie: fiberglas), same comment as epoxy only slower and messier plus stinks to high heaven (we're talking respirators here, toxic) The way you're going about your model is fine. Here's something I do: I use water thin superglue as a primer for Bondo. Just paint over styrene and the bondo will stick to that. It also helps if you sand the styrene before applying Bondo. Sanding gives Bondo something to grab on to. Finally I brush Water thin super glue over to seal and give it a nice candy shell. Or more correctly, acrylic shell.

Do you thin out the super glue with water? Have I got it right?
The Engine vanes or styrene piece will have only primer and then paint. I was thinking of not only rough sanding the styrene and bondo but maybe drilling a few holes to try and get the glue to anchor into the Bondo.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back