Good Imperial Star Destroyer Model?

Jm419

Sr Member
Hi everyone,

Like many others, the ISD has been one of my favorites from the Star Wars saga - the other being the X-Wing. Though the X-Wing has been modeled over and over and over again, with everything from Revell Kits to Studio-Scale replicas, I can't seem to find a good model of the ISD.

I'm aware of the ERTL/AMT model, but from what I understand, that's not a good way to spend my rather limited college-kid funding. Is there a good model of the ISD, somewhere around 12"-24", that I'm simply not aware of?

Any suggestions?

There are accurizing kits for the crappy Ertl/AMT out there.
But not so cheap though...

ARVEY Model Products - Ther Standard of Excellence

Use some styrene squares to busy up the hull and people have made some nice build ups.

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery8/sg_isd.htm

F-Toys will have a 10cm completed one out soon.
They are the Fine Molds people and their previous SW trading toys have been amazing
but 10cm is pretty small.

I think everything else is smallish garage kits or the big expensive ones that can be hard to come by.

Last edited:
This is the MPC/ERTL kit!
sfpaperistE38080AsfpaperistAjpg.jpg

An awesome job of detailing, more here.

Thanks everyone. So it's detailing the ERTL kit, or waiting for the Finemolds one?
To my knowledge Fine Molds hasn't announced a kit of the ISD in any scale, so you might be waiting a long time for that. And most resin kits of this ship are either long out of production or the producers have stopped making them because of C&Ds, which makes the AMT/Ertl kit the only one that's easily available. The one good thing that can be said of the AMT/Ertl kit is that it's so simplified it's not difficult to improve on. :D

To my knowledge Fine Molds hasn't announced a kit of the ISD in any scale, so you might be waiting a long time for that. And most resin kits of this ship are either long out of production or the producers have stopped making them because of C&Ds, which makes the AMT/Ertl kit the only one that's easily available. The one good thing that can be said of the AMT/Ertl kit is that it's so simplified it's not difficult to improve on. :D

He's refering to the F-Toys version coming out, which is made by FineMolds. But still, at 10cm that's pretty darn small!

Should have been around earlier this year when the 28 inch Star Destroyer from Ani was still available. It was an awesome model.

He's refering to the F-Toys version coming out, which is made by FineMolds. But still, at 10cm that's pretty darn small!

Should have been around earlier this year when the 28 inch Star Destroyer from Ani was still available. It was an awesome model.

Oh? Is there anywhere else I can look for one of those?

Oh? Is there anywhere else I can look for one of those?

It's rare to find for sale and it would be expensive.
They got a cease and desist order so the kits that got out the door are commanding high price. This was like a 300 dollar range kit at the time.
Which was a very good price for what it is.

Short of a Randy Cooper kit which was even more expensive, and larger.
The Anigrand was a godsend for Star Destroyer fans and a manageable size.

Now it wasn't super accurate, though heavily detailed they did a great job, they did deviate from the studio models in a lot of areas. Nothing that screams at you unless you've been staring at studio model pics all day long. It's definately based on TESB and not ANH destroyers.

If you really want one, I would start posting at places like Resin Illumanti or Starship Modeller seeing if anyone wanted to part with one.

It's rare to find for sale and it would be expensive.
They got a cease and desist order so the kits that got out the door are commanding high price. This was like a 300 dollar range kit at the time.
Which was a very good price for what it is.

Short of a Randy Cooper kit which was even more expensive, and larger.
The Anigrand was a godsend for Star Destroyer fans and a manageable size.

Now it wasn't super accurate, though heavily detailed they did a great job, they did deviate from the studio models in a lot of areas. Nothing that screams at you unless you've been staring at studio model pics all day long. It's definately based on TESB and not ANH destroyers.

If you really want one, I would start posting at places like Resin Illumanti or Starship Modeller seeing if anyone wanted to part with one.

Oh. That's unfortunate...are there any decent kits out there? Lol. I'm hoping not to have to get an ERTL, and do the detailing.

Oh. That's unfortunate...are there any decent kits out there? Lol. I'm hoping not to have to get an ERTL, and do the detailing.

It is sad.

The Star Destroyers are the flagships of the Empire.
The equivalent of the Enterprise on Star Trek.

Yet Lucasfilm has never licensed a single worthy of the subject kit in a proper scale fit for the large size of the ship for over three decades.

Makes no sense.

Hopefully they will get around to it soon.

You can always scratch one up. However, the old MPC/Ertl kit does seem appealing, although still a little small for a ship that should be built large to reflect the might and superiority.

It is sad.

The Star Destroyers are the flagships of the Empire.
The equivalent of the Enterprise on Star Trek.

Yet Lucasfilm has never licensed a single worthy of the subject kit in a proper scale fit for the large size of the ship for over three decades.

Makes no sense.

Hopefully they will get around to it soon.

Exactly. But God help you if you make a Star Destroyer garage kit! :rolleyes

Randy hasn't had a C&D, has he? Though that kit is a bit on the challenging side for even experienced modellers. Financially challenging too.

God it's gorgeous though. :love

Huh? Fine Molds stuff is all licensed. Or am I reading you wrong?

Yeah, I need to be more clear.
Fine Molds is licensed, Anigrand was not.
I think Anigrand was under the radar until Fine Molds saw some of it's new SW products would be competing with a non licensee.

It's the curse of the Falcon! If Anigrand had not advertised a Falcon kit then FineMolds would not have cried foul. As it were, Anigrand was selling a 1/144 Falcon, then FineMolds announced they were going to be doing a 1/144 Falcon. After that, Ani got hit with the C&D.

Its not exactly a model but its an upgrade form the MPC. There is a toy Star destroyer collectors fleet series IIRC. they also have a blockade runner and SSD. They are not "replica" standard but they are pretty nice. look for a used one out of the box on eBay boxed ones are rare and usually like $100, used ones you can get for $20 or so and are nice. IMO these are a better starting point for modification and superdetailing than the MPC ERTl one and they are almost exactly the same size...

Have fun.

Is it confirmed that the F-toys are doing a SD? I had not heard a wisp of that??? I picked up teh F-toys series 1-3 and frankly I'm shocked at how good they are. Worth every penny ;)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back