63 inch BSG Viper

Rick H

This is my first time at a large scale scratch build. Some cockpit photos of the rough fit. I am building it as components so that I can access all areas for electronics and lighting.
DSC03994.jpg

DSC03986.jpg

DSC03984.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Mate you got my attention!!63"!! Will defy make a great display.. Sounds like a fun project!

If you can please show pics of how to cut the pieces and put them together!! It is very inspiring and maybe folks like me can learn a few things :)

Thanks for sharing...!

Thanks all for those that have looked and posted. Yesterday was a quick post to see if there would be any interest in this project. I normally don’t post my builds because I don’t feel there up to the standards of the Master builders here.

Some additional information. I chose 63 inches because I was trying to get as close to a 5 foot finished model as I could. This is so I can add the controllers and servos I plan on using. I am using a 2 ¼ inch per foot scale. This is the MKII Viper using a mix from both the old and new series. My plans are to have it look as though it would work in the real world. (May be a bad description on my part). I will be using a small photo display screen as the cockpit display screen. A lighting kit for the exterior and interior lighting and for engines.

As for my tools. I am using home shop tools. Drill press, table saw etc.

From the reading I have done, it seems that the viper is capable of both space and atmospheric flight. So it seems that operational flight surfaces are a must. Rudder, flaps etc. I also plan to add an air/smoke system for the thrusters.

Some may be rolling there eyes about now, thinking yea right, another over ambitious builder. But since I am semi-retired, and have a back ground with RC aircraft and air powered controllers I do believe this is a project that is well within my skill set. Of course I have been wrong before.

. I will try to post better photos and a comprehensible build thread. Again that’s for looking. Rick

From the reading I have done, it seems that the viper is capable of both space and atmospheric flight. So it seems that operational flight surfaces are a must. Rudder, flaps etc.

Just a comment on flight controls. (and I'm no BSG expert)
I don't remember ever seeing a traditional aileron, elevator, or rudder ever moving on a Viper. While the Viper Mk II seems to have panel lines that might suggest a movable control surface, the original Viper and Mk VII don't. To explain the lack of a visible trailing edge control surface, the entire airfoil could pivot slightly at the base, like the stabilator on a modern fighter jet.

Another possibility is reaction control jets, which are seen working on-screen in space flight. They could also work for attitude control in atmospheric flight and explain the lack of visible control surfaces.

Regardless of what you do, I can't wait to see it :)

I agree with you h3pilot. I don’t remember seeing any moving surfaces during the shows. This is more along the lines of builders interpretation. :) This is one of those things that my friends and I love to nit-pick over. Like why does the viper have wings and a tail? The Raider didn’t have these, but seemed to be able to fly in atmosphere.
I agree that the thruster were deemed good enough for landing on a planet.
My thoughts on this is. If the viper were designed based on what I know, (which is limited) for real world application, that they would have a Master control that fixed the Stab/aileron and tail rudder in place during space operations and upon entering in to air operations be switched to planet operation mode. Probably not cannon to the die hard fans. But I think it would look cool to be able to switch them on and off.
This is more of an exercise for me. Can I do it and make it look believable.

Todays work.
DSC03995.jpg

Just out of curiosity what did you use for the pilot's seat? It reminds me of an old kit that was out of an F15 (or was it f16) cockpit back in the 90s.

Wes it’s the ACESII ejection seat. I believe it came out in the mid 70s, and is used in the F-15, F16, and A-10. I used Brenda Make’s full sized plans and scaled them down to 1:5 scale. I used Sentra for the build.
I will add some pads to match the viper seats.
DSC03886.jpg

DSC03888.jpg

Ambitous job and an excellet subject. I'll definitely be checking back regularly to see your progress. Post lots of pictures it you want - I know I'll look at them.

Really looking forward to seeing more of this build. I was a huge fan of the original series but for one reason or another have not caught much of the new one although it looks good. Subscribing!

Thanks again all. And thanks for the link Evan. I will help on the engines.
Small up date. Built and test fitted the engine cradle. With this installed I am right at 5 foot in length.
DSC04015.jpg

DSC04014.jpg

DSC04021.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back