Studio Scale TIE Interceptor

Alonzo Fonzo

I just started working on the Tie Interceptor, my first studio scale model. Kitbashing and identifying the model kits is new to me, but I think I found parts of the following model kits which were used on the wings:

Tam. 1/12 Tyrell 6 Wheeler
Tam. 1/12 JPS Mk III
Tam. 1/20 Ferrari 312T3
Tam. 1/20 Tyrell 6 Wheeler
Haseg. 1/72 Mörser Karl
Tam. 1/35 Flakvierling

Tam. 1/20 JPS MK III

I still have difficulties to find all those small parts especially on the wing edges (some are from the Mörser Karl) and which ship(s) were used (1/700 Prince of Wales) Maybe someone of the pros here at the Studio Scale Forum could give me some hints which kits are missing in the list above :) Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Kit List for Tie Interceptor Wings?

Hey nice start.I think I see a couple of parts from the 1/20 JPS MKIII.

Dave

Thanks Dave!
I was first thinking of the 1/20 Mclaren M23, but you are right JPS MK III is the right kit
:)

Not much progress on the Interceptor wing. Its a little too large. I think I have to start again :(

DSC_0110.jpg

In the meantime I started with the cockpit ball and the standard Tie Wing :)

DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg

Wow! I just realized I started this scratch built almost 2 years ago! Here are some photos of my progress so far.
cast1.jpg

most of the hull parts are finished, the cockpit is currently under construction.

protowing.JPG

I am happy with the overall dimensions of the wing, the kit parts fit quiet nicely on the styrene parts but the wing dihedral looks wrong :-(

Yes it seems theres two camps 5" or 5 1/4". The front of the internal cockpit when built should help in determining the size I think.

Rob

The correct size is 5" for the ball.
here is my wing list:
Tam. 1/12 Tyrell 6 Wheeler
Tam. 1/12 JPS Mk III
Tam. 1/12 Yardley M23 (damalo)
Tam. 1/20 Ferrari 312T3
Tam. 1/20 Tyrell 6 Wheeler
Tam. 1/20 Ligier JS11
Haseg. 1/72 Mörser Karl
Tam. 1/35 Flakvierling
Tam. 1/20 JPS MK III
Tam. 1/350 Bismarck

Yes I know about the discussion about the right size (5, 5.125, 5.25) The underside of the cockpit interior is almost finished (unfortunately not 100% original kit parts)
Here a quick photo how it looks:
sphere.JPG

oh and I really hate camera distortion :(

A 5" ball is too small (no need to take any measurement, just put the parts on a 5" ball and you'll see it wont fit well).
Dont have the measurement from an original cockpit ball but from an original ANH cockpit hatch, and it doesnt fit a 5" ball (got the diameter of the pipe they used for the wing support from an original ANH TIE too, Im not at home so I cant check what was the correct diameter).

Alonzo Fonzo's cockpit confirms that's a bigger ball looks better with all the kitparts on it. Awesome job so far ! Cant wait to see more :)

Last edited:
Thanks MonsieurTox!

Does anyone know the right angle of the wing? I built it with 30° which fits with the height from the Chronicles book, but it looks too "flat". It´s incredible difficult to measure the angle from photos or screenshots.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back