1:48 scale Orion III from 2001: ASO

CaptCBoard

bigo.jpg

This model is 42 inches long with a 21 inch wingspan and will be departing in June! Questions? Please email me! No PMs, please.

And, yes, this is Studio Scale!

Scott Alexander
Atomic City Models
AtomicCity@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Payment sent.

I'v already collected some old decals and kit parts as I had planed to make my own SS scale Orion.
But now with Scotts kit, I'v got an accurate fuse already done for me, and at a reasonable price to boot!

Oh boy, I'm gonna accurize the snot out of this thing!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to doing a simple build.
Clean up, assemble, dark primer, paint, panel, decal.
Light weathering. Launch!

ShowCraft-- If you know what decals were used on the Orion, would you mind sharing? I'm putting the artwork together for my decal sheet and I was just going to make things that looked right, but if you know these things that I don't, I'd be most appreciative. Please email me if you are inclined to enlighten me!

Scott
AtomicCity@gmail.com

What markings I can make out on the Orion may come from the 1/48 Monogram P-61 Black Widow.
The decal sheet is in the original issue of the kit, not the current offering by Revell.

Update - turns out to be a false lead. Kit release date is too late. However, decals from this kit may still be a suitable replacement if the correct markings are not found.

ShowCraft-- If you know what decals were used on the Orion, would you mind sharing? I'm putting the artwork together for my decal sheet and I was just going to make things that looked right, but if you know these things that I don't, I'd be most appreciative. Please email me if you are inclined to enlighten me!

Scott
AtomicCity@gmail.com

Last edited:
All the evidence I can find about that kit shows it was produced by Monogram in 1974. Could the same decals have been used when it was an Aurora kit? I believe that's the origin of the kit in the 1960s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think your right Graham. The Monogram kit is too late. Problem is, the Aurora kit decals don't have the markings needed either.
The info I have on the Orion was from some modeling boards a number of years ago and those guys had ID'd parts from the Prestwin 00 Silo kit and the Airfix B29 along with the Black Widow decal claim. I got the decals and some of the markings do seem to be a match. The segmentet circular bits in particular.
So now I'm scratching my head over these. The markings sure do look right and they are the correct size but just not possible cuz of the release date :unsure

All the evidence I can find about that kit shows it was produced by Monogram in 1974. Could the same decals have been used when it was an Aurora kit? I believe that's the origin of the kit in the 1960s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
The segmented circular bits in the decal sheets are either fuel filling ports or logos that went on the propellor blades (depending on which circular decals you were referencing). As such, they should be available in many different kits of similar aircraft/scales.

Gene

Atomic City Orion

Hi All... with the 2001: a space odyssey Orion now announced at Atomic City, I am trying to find out how close the model is to studio. I've never seen a picture of the real model near anything that provides a good reference. The new kit is supposed to be 42" and change. Is that anywhere near what the real Orion probably was? If anything, I'm thinking it must be a bit on the small side, but honestly, I have no idea. I wish there were more/better production images from 2001! Too bad Stanley was such a secretive man.

Re: Atomic City Orion

I know your new here and want to find out as much as you can, but if Scott releases a model and says it's SS, then there's a pretty good bet it is. He has been doing stuff like this for a looong time.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back