Death Star door control panel

JSS

I'm going to make this door control panel.
Any suggestion for these round buttons with crome surround?
Originally probably automotive/industrial parts.

full
full

There were some kids shopping mall coin operated rides that have this sort of chrome surround coloured lights. They look like they must be from the 50's, to house very large mians voltage warning lights on electrical plant gear. Also pinball or fairground stuff?

Yep, they have me fascinated also.

They must have bought hundreds of them for Star Wars. They dot all the door controls, the Guard rooms, the Falcon,the X wings and Y wings..
Must be from a UK electrical supply place back in the 70's.

Led's and transistorisation kind of killed that sort of product.

I have seen this exact light in an old 70's BBC kids drama. I'll run it up and do a screencap.
I figure they're pretty large, about an inch and a half across?

I have a box of them in the garage some where or at least something very, very close. About ten years ago the old LA All Electronics location had them. They are just colored plastic with the bezel. The indicator lamp is a separate assembly just as seen above in Blip's picture. Some are smooth, others have jewel type geometric shape, some a circular pattern...

I have a box of them in the garage some where or at least something very, very close. About ten years ago the old LA All Electronics location had them. They are just colored plastic with the bezel. The indicator lamp is a separate assembly just as seen above in Blip's picture. Some are smooth, others have jewel type geometric shape, some a circular pattern...

That's interesting. Any pics?

THe Star Wars X-wing and Y-wing cockpit ones have the concentric circles imprinted into the plastic, they act like a lens, to spread the light from the bulb more evenly.
I'm surprised they're in the UK and also in the US.

9154-light2.jpg

You can see how the light is fairly round and sits out from the panel. (red arrow).

PS. Is that the back of an artoo deetoo eye I see there? (green arrow).

THe Star Wars X-wing and Y-wing cockpit ones have the concentric circles imprinted into the plastic, they act like a lens, to spread the light from the bulb more evenly.
I'm surprised they're in the UK and also in the US.

Are the circles on the inside or outside of yours? After checking many hi def screen caps the circles are def on the outside -- you can see the white reflective highlights on the ring ridges. The lenses I found in have the rings on the inside, but they would do fine in the close enough category just need to add the bezels.

Link to lenses:
http://www.empirechromeshop.com/p-33...us-colors.aspx

The lenses themselves are 1-9/16" in diameter -- add a bezel and they'd finish out at around 2".

Doug

9154-light2.jpg

You can see how the light is fairly round and sits out from the panel. (red arrow).

PS. Is that the back of an artoo deetoo eye I see there? (green arrow).

Yup (two of them there) def the back side of R2's holo projectors.

Those cockpit lenses are smaller versions of the door panel lights and seem to have a more pronounced curve to them.

Doug

Wannab, the Peterbilt truck indicator lenses are too flat if I recall. The reason I bought a cache of the items in question was for a work project unrelated to this topic. Truck and emergency indicators were my second go after basic video game/pinball versions but lacked the height of vintage indicator lenses.
My garage is jam packed and the weather isnt forgiving enough to tear things out to get to the area I think these are stored in.

Wannab, the Peterbilt truck indicator lenses are too flat if I recall. The reason I bought a cache of the items in question was for a work project unrelated to this topic. Truck and emergency indicators were my second go after basic video game/pinball versions but lacked the height of vintage indicator lenses.
My garage is jam packed and the weather isnt forgiving enough to tear things out to get to the area I think these are stored in.

Send in... THE UNDERMINER!

underminer.jpg

Doug

Where did this picture come from. I've never seen it?

I think it's from a mag called SFX collection. 2005 edition.
Since I've used only a small fragment of the entire publication for educational reasons, I figure I'm within the copyright guidelines.

Speculating , I figure that back in 1976 John Barry or John Mollo went for a drive to an electrical store or parts surplus house not that far from the Elstree in the UK. Probably got a big box full of all the colours. They did have a buyer, but still most of the set stuff came from close by.

Are the circles on the inside or outside of yours? After checking many hi def screen caps the circles are def on the outside -- you can see the white reflective highlights on the ring ridges. The lenses I found in have the rings on the inside, but they would do fine in the close enough category just need to add the bezels.

Link to lenses:
http://www.empirechromeshop.com/p-33...us-colors.aspx

The lenses themselves are 1-9/16" in diameter -- add a bezel and they'd finish out at around 2".

Doug

9179-lights3.jpg

Hi Doug, I don't have any matching lenses as of yet. I could get them made up, but I'd prefer to I.D. the real part.

Some observations after reviewing Star Wars, with a focus on control panels.

1) They used a pile of these lights, maybe even up to five hundred.
We see them all over most sets.

2) This means it's more than likley that they just went into a local electrical supplier and cleaned them out of their stock of lights. Junk piles don't tend to yield up that many of the same thing.

3) The lights used on the two scenes above don't match. Seems the set makers for the Revenge of the Sith had the same problem we're having.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back