SW Panel Lights revisited (PICS)

wannab

Sr Member
OK, now that I have a few better pics, let's see if we can track these down.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

You get a pretty good sense of shape size and some detail. I notice that they seem to have a circular pattern as opposed to a jeweled pattern that was thought before.

I think the first step is to get the proper name for these then track down where they were used the most (real world) and then try for manufacturer. Or if you know of some place that makes/has some lets hear it.

Possible names for searching...
Pilot Light, Indicator Light, Control Panel Light, Etc.?

Ultimately, I am trying to make a few panels for a display and sourcing these would be a huge step.

Also does anyone have an idea on the square buttons?

Doug

Last edited:
wish I could offer some help...I always thought these panels were cool too. Would be neat to have a replica on the wall. Perhaps our British colleagues can shed some light as I suspect the parts are of UK origin.

I have been looking for these on and off for a long time. Like you, I want to use them on some panels. The closest brand name I have found is Dialight; which turned into Dialco if memory serves. Unfortunately I dont see anything too close in any modern stocks.

Also I dont think these were exclusive to the UK. I was surprised while watching an episode of the Muppet Show to see a red and green version of these same lights used on a robot in a sketch.

I'll look forward to seeing if anyone turns up anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I dont think these were exclusive to the UK. I was surprised while watching an episode of the Muppet Show to see a red and green version of these same lights used on a robot in a sketch.

The Muppet Show was filmed at Elstree Studios...same place the original trilogy was filmed.

--Don Bies

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen those on pre Vietnam War military electronics panels. Used to scour scrapyards around Washington DC after they tossed out old display equipment, and I do remember many of these lights getting retasked as running lights on various small vehicles.

Ditto that on the fairground rides use as well - have seen those on rides on both coasts and in Hawaii. Very common back in the 70's and 80's.

The Muppet Show was filmed at Elstree Studios...same place the original trilogy was filmed.

--Don Bies

Yep and sections of Death Star control console were used in 'The Great Muppet Caper' as part of the museum's security system when Charles Grodin and his gang attempt to steal the diamond!

I have a couple of red indicator lamps along the lines of the ones used on the SW sets although not quite the same. They were studio 'On Air' lamps from a radio station I used to work at, made by 'Crabtree' but that's all I know about them sadly. So far I haven't been able to find any others.

London Underground use red and green lamps just like these as signals for the drivers at the side of tunnel entrances, the lenses are the correct shape and proportion but they're much bigger of course and are set in different mounts.

As to the blue and white square buttons, they could be lift (elevator) buttons. I have a couple of square frosted white lenses from lift buttons made by 'Otis' I'll see if I've still got them tonight.

Jeremy

Man! I've been digging like crazy -- no luck so far. I plan on following up with that vending company after the holiday to get a better idea what it is they have.

Any idea on approx size?
I'm thinking around 2-2.5 in. dia on the chrome bezel?

Found these, but no idea what size they are. If they are close, could do as a "filler" 'till the real ones are found just need to scrounge up some bezels for them.
http://www.empirechromeshop.com/p-3...tic-round-dome-light-lens-various-colors.aspx

WE CAN FIND THESE!

Doug

The pilot lamps look like industrial Allen Bradley or Square D indicator lamp of sorts. See the lower left hand side...

pushpilotow9.jpg

Last edited:
Just got word back, empire chrome lenses are 1-9/16" in diameter. So with some sort of bezel these would finish out at around 2". I can't really say if 2" is correct, they may have been larger -- I think we need to nail the size down best we can somehow.

Doug

Last edited:
The pilot lamps look like industrial Allen Bradley or Square D indicator lamp of sorts. See the lower left hand side...

Yeah, I came across those too, the size is too small and the lenses are not right. They may have made larger in the past but I can't find any yet. I believe that the star wars ones may be pilot lights as well -- the main problem is that all the pilot lights now that I have found are too small so maybe they really are somthing else?

I think on the star wars ones, the circular pattern texture in the lenses is on the outside and not the inside -- at least on the blue ones.

I have tried the tail light king site thinking they may be auto related, but I have only found "close" lenses in red amber and clear. So I think these are not auto related. BTW, they have some cool light stuff there.

Doug

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back