Death Star door control panel

I think you're on to something with the cap. This one is close and seems to support the theory. However I can't find any after looking at Google images for hours that have the five on the outside of the circle.

Distributor caps do seem to have potential.

Mercedes
103distributorcap.jpg

Audi has a 5 around 1 configuration:
03239.jpg

I also wonder whether there's an engine cover involved, not this particular one but along these lines.

frontcover.jpg

The pic from the auction says the thing is about 12" in diameter. We could also be looking at either an engine fan or maybe ever a boat prop.

I think you're on to something with the cap. This one is close and seems to support the theory. However I can't find any after looking at Google images for hours that have the five on the outside of the circle.

I spent a few hours too trying to find some off the radial engines. The inline 5 car engine didn't become readily available until the late 80's/early 90's. I can't find any references to the inline-5 previous to then.

@smoothrat: Nice find on those pics! That Audi one is really close.

I looked at Volo only because I thought maybe they stripped one down since they had the dash panels for the carbonite block. :)

It's also possible they were more available in Europe in the 70's. There has always been a huge difference in what is available there as opposed to the States.

Maybe a communication "tube" like what Han talks into in the detention block next to the control panel.
Scott

It's a Pencil holder with several (5-6) beveled tubes in assorted diameters and lengths.
I had one for many years and realized what it was 2 weeks after I got rid of it.:facepalm
Mine was made of a dark smoked clear plastic.
The tubes just slid into the hollow round base.

Like this.

Last edited:
It's a Pencil holder with several (5-6) beveled tubes in assorted diameters and lengths.
I had one for many years and realized what it was 2 weeks after I got rid of it.:facepalm
Mine was made of a dark smoked clear plastic.
The tubes just slid into the hollow round base.

Like this.

My sister had that exact same one when I was kid. Smoked acrylic and everything.

I always thought those black wall sensors looks like vac formed plastic. Did they just use one real part and make lots of castings?

That's a cool part but I don't see anything it matches when compared against the original prop (unless I'm missing something).

12729.jpg

I should have been more specific. I don't it matching anything specifically. Is it similar to the overall shape? Yes. Is it exact. Not from my viewpoint. On the original prop, the edges are less rounded. The corners are obscured because there is obviously another part sitting on top.

Also, do we have the dimensions of the Bosch part? And how do they compare with the overall prop size?

Edit:
After doing some more research on the part. It's a distributor cap from a Mercedes Benz M119 engine. The engine required two 4-port distributor caps which are visible here:

M119-V8.jpg

This engine dates back to 1989. Also, the original prop is approximately 12" in diameter. I estimate the Bosch M119 distributor cap is about 4 to 6" in diameter.

Last edited:
The part is identical. i.e. cast from the same source. Even the little dings match up.

If the edges don't match then it's just been trimmed differently. It's only vacformed plastic.

I should have been more specific. I don't it matching anything specifically. Is it similar to the overall shape? Yes. Is it exact. Not from my viewpoint. On the original prop, the edges are less rounded. The corners are obscured because there is obviously another part sitting on top.

Also, do we have the dimensions of the Bosch part? And how do they compare with the overall prop size?

Edit:
After doing some more research on the part. It's a distributor cap from a Mercedes Benz M119 engine. The engine required two 4-port distributor caps which are visible here:

M119-V8.jpg

This engine dates back to 1989. Also, the original prop is approximately 12" in diameter. I estimate the Bosch M119 distributor cap is about 4 to 6" in diameter.

I'm having trouble following what you guys are talking about. Kurty, are you referring to an actual found part that you've indentified and matches?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back