First Pics of Captain American, and Emma Frost from X-Men: First Class

As for Emma Frost, does the film take place in the 1960s? Why is she dressed like a Connery-era Bond girl?

Yeah, X-Men First Class is apparently set in the 60's. No idea if the WHOLE film is in the 60's or not but apparently much of it seems to be.

From here on Superherohype.com <http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/106051-major-x-men-first-class-details-emerge>

First Class is said to take place in the 1960's and will heavily play with the style of the day. Audiences will see John F. Kennedy as President and the parallel storyline of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X will play in the background. Overall, the look is said to emulate the original X-Men costumes far more than previous films have, though the films' chronology pre-dates the First Class story in the comics, meaning that many of the expected characters (Cyclops and Marvel Girl are listed by name) will not appear.

The villain of the film is, as rumored, Sebastian Shaw (played by Kevin Bacon). January Jones' Emma Frost will appear as the Hellfire Club's White Queen as well.

The central focus of the film is the friendship between Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Eric Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) and how it falls apart. Xavier will not be depicted as bald or in a wheelchair for the majority of the film, though we will learn what cripples him.

AICN's article makes frequent James Bond comparisons, noting that the film will heavily play up the '60s style, but with retro-future technology in a setting that spans the globe. Russia (a.k.a. the U.S.S.R.) specifically is mentioned.

I'm sure the suit will look better than that in the flick, but the modern features of it are really disappointing. Why couldn't they have just kept his look era-appropriate? There are pads built into that thing that aesthetically would look too modern in a movie about the 90's.

I totally agree...Ugh, film isnt turning out the way I was hoping it would

It's the Marvel version of WWII. Super soldier serums, nazi robots, human androids that shoot fire and fly, atlantian princes, Skull faced leaders with cosmic cubes... etc. The ridiculous and the realistic mixed together are what Marvel history is about.

I have no problem with cool Retro futuristic Hydra soldiers and vehicles. It's like James Bond but WWII. Implausible but fun.

That stunt double sure looks goofy though. :)

Count me in none the less.

Nick

Let's keep two things in mind:

1.) A "stunt" costume is going to be less detailed, or to the extent that they want to highlight details, will be more overt in how it draws attention to those details. That's because the stunt costume will be used while there is much rapid movement on the screen. You won't notice the imperfections, because he'll be too busy whizzing by on a bike for 0.8 seconds in that one shot.

2.) I expect it'd be a bit "blousier" so that it moves more easily for action sequences. This could either end up being not particularly noticeable (depending on how the action plays on screen or is framed), or might be CGed to correct it.

I'm less worried about the doofy look of a stunt costume than I am about a doofy looking "hero" costume.

Good point!

I bet that the stunt man's helmet has an actual protective shell and padding to it and perhaps wider eyeholes for visibility.

Nick

Is the Captain wearing a CODPIECE or is he just happy to see the girls? :lol:confused
article00b18d2ba000005d.jpg

Is the Captain wearing a CODPIECE or is he just happy to see the girls? :lol:confused

I'm going to guess some sort of protective 'cup'? He is a stunt double after all... wouldn't do to have some stunt go awry and their stuntman wind up curled up on the ground whimpering for his mommy... :angel

I'm going to guess some sort of protective 'cup'? He is a stunt double after all... wouldn't do to have some stunt go awry and their stuntman wind up curled up on the ground whimpering for his mommy... :angel

It must not be seated very well, look at the lady's hand. She looks like she's adjusting *something*! :lol

It must not be seated very well, look at the lady's hand. She looks like she's adjusting *something*! :lol

Yeah, his jacket... both of HER hands are up near his head and shoulders area. The hand down near the waist level belongs to the guy standing behind them! :lol

Well you do know that stunt guys need baggy costumes to move around so that may explain that situation but as far as the pinstripes???? WWII Cap didn't have pinstripes!

Also how do they explain the "round" shield vs. the shield shaped shield....? Especially since S.H.I.E.L.D and Stark Industries had something to do with the construction of said round shield.....?

Well you do know that stunt guys need baggy costumes to move around so that may explain that situation but as far as the pinstripes???? WWII Cap didn't have pinstripes!

Also how do they explain the "round" shield vs. the shield shaped shield....? Especially since S.H.I.E.L.D and Stark Industries had something to do with the construction of said round shield.....?

Well, they did state in the first Iron Man that Howard worked with the Manhattan project... it's not inconceivable that he created the shield (though I'd prefer it wasn't the round shield as well). S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't exist back then. They were just being known as that when IM1 ended.

Yeah, I think they just tossed the Cap shield into Iron Man to tease the fans. I'm sure they will probably backtrack and figure out some explanation for it being in Stark's lab.

Funny that in the concept pics there are no wings on the helmet and now there are painted ones that looks like the ones I painted over the concept images and posted here...:lol
But I'm sure it's just a coincidence:)

I still don't like that suit that much (and yes I know it's a stunt suit in the pics, I mean the design shown in the concepts).
But I like the "rocketeer" look they seem to aim for, at least for the villains!
But I'm absolutely not sold on it yet.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back