I need Batman box ideas for kryptonite

SirJediKnightTim

There is a seller on e-bay selling this, Batmans Kryptonite. He dyed it a transparent green somehow. My daughter has always collected rocks, and has a HUGE quartz rock.

Any ideas as to what this guy used to do it?

Either he painted it. Or made a mold of the real one and cast it. I don't know how you could possibly dye stone through out.

Raw green beryl crystals could be used to as a replacement for Kryptonite, or if you're very wealthy buy raw emerald crystals. They are growing like the shape of Kryptonite...

you can dye quartz, but its a pretty expensive chemical bath.

i researched this a while back. you can go the chemical route, the heat route, or the radiation route and end up with green quartz. or red, or blue, or yellow, depending on the chemicals.

ive talked (emailed) with the seller, and he went the chemical route. while it isnt much per piece, the setup and finding someone to do it is hella expensive.

chris

I don't know... Looking at those images I can see what appears to be a painted surface. The image on the left almost appears to have a hair or somehting in the paint. Just doesn't look very smooth.

I would suggest going with translucent glass paint. This stuff drys hard and can be handled. Here's a link but there are a multitude of brands out there. Check your local hobby store.

http://www.deltacrafts.com/Paint/PermEnamel/xGlassPaint.asp

One in the UK
http://www.glasspaintingmaterials.co.uk/sh...ransparent2.asp

Find a piece of quartz that you like, size and shape wise. Make a RTV mold of it and then cast it in green tinted clear resin. Viola.

I never heard of it. Glass paint sounds like it would work best. I knew you guys would know.

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jul 2 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]1272649[/snapback]</div>
I don't know... Looking at those images I can see what appears to be a painted surface. The image on the left almost appears to have a hair or somehting in the paint. Just doesn't look very smooth.

I would suggest going with translucent glass paint. This stuff drys hard and can be handled. Here's a link but there are a multitude of brands out there. Check your local hobby store.

http://www.deltacrafts.com/Paint/PermEnamel/xGlassPaint.asp

One in the UK
http://www.glasspaintingmaterials.co.uk/sh...ransparent2.asp
[/b]

If you've ever had one of the crystal kits as a kid you'd remember that they are very fragile. You can grow green crystals but you couldn't really handle them, just for display.

<div class='quotetop'>(b26354 @ Jul 3 2006, 04:16 AM) [snapback]1272798[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Darthmagpie @ Jul 3 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]1272766[/snapback]
This could be the other half of a cryp. kit
http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/QuartzCrystalMiniKit.cfm
[/b]

If you'd looked a little further you would have found a green one - grow your own Kryptonite:

emerald crystal kit
[/b][/quote]

:p That's what I said. The green color comes from the beryllium atoms that bounded to aluminium/silicondioxide [Be18)]. The atomic bounding structure forms a hexagonal grid, which let the crystal grow in a similar shape like the kryptonite minus the pointy tip. It comes also in various colors: red, blue, golden-color.

Well, they certainly dye a lot of geodes, so there is probably a relatively cheap way to do it.
Perhaps once you are set up to do it, it is easy and cheap, as the seller says.
You could probably google for someone that does it too or check a rock/gem trade show.

I'd go the casting route, then you can make several and they would be durable, lighter than quartz and you wouldn't be worried if it got dropped or broken, it'd be easy enough to replace.

The method SurferGeek mentioned is probably the easiest. I wanted to make a Jedi saber crystal, so I took a quartz crystal and painted it with blue glass paint. It worked perfectly, and when you look at it, you can barely tell it was painted.

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Jul 2 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]1272934[/snapback]</div>
The green color comes from the beryllium atoms that bounded to aluminium/silicondioxide [Be18)]. The atomic bounding structure forms a hexagonal grid, which let the crystal grow in a similar shape like the kryptonite minus the pointy tip. It comes also in various colors: red, blue, golden-color.
[/b]

:eek I have no idea what the heck you just said, but with that much technobabble, I say you are absolutely right.

;)

I think that the transparent paint would be the most economical route to go... it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on the project. If you are talking about a display, go the surfergeek route and grow emerald crystals, but like he said they are super fragile... otherwise you have painting, casting or what could potentially be an expensive little venture, dyeing.

Just my 2 cents

-Bryan

I think the seller is protecting his/her rice bowl when they say they "went the chemical route". I doubt that seriously... I clipped some of the images from the auction and enlargened/enhanced them to prove a point.

The image on the upper left is clearly a hair in the paint, the one below it shows how the paint has settled in a recessed area of the xtal and the image on the right shows a mottled appearance of the paint.

s22424xtalsd219.png

I would love to see someone's attempt to paint/dye some xtals.

painting works out ok. the only "igh" factor is the paint strokes in the glass paint, and the lack of non matte finish spray paint that is transparent in the US. im sure there is some, but green is hard to find. stained glass spray paints are all (cept red i think) a matte finish.

here are some quick n dirty pics of a gem i made by painting glass paint over it, its green/gold. looks pretty nifty :)

[attachmentid=8873]
[attachmentid=8872]
[attachmentid=8874]

chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back