I need Batman box ideas for kryptonite

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by SirJediKnightTim, Jul 2, 2006.

1. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

There is a seller on e-bay selling this, Batmans Kryptonite. He dyed it a transparent green somehow. My daughter has always collected rocks, and has a HUGE quartz rock.

Any ideas as to what this guy used to do it?

2. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Either he painted it. Or made a mold of the real one and cast it. I don't know how you could possibly dye stone through out.

3. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

why don't you email the guy and ask him how he did it?

4. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

I'd say it was a cast of actual crystals. If you look closely, the edges aren't sharp enough to be real quartz.

5. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Raw green beryl crystals could be used to as a replacement for Kryptonite, or if you're very wealthy buy raw emerald crystals. They are growing like the shape of Kryptonite...

6. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you can dye quartz, but its a pretty expensive chemical bath.

i researched this a while back. you can go the chemical route, the heat route, or the radiation route and end up with green quartz. or red, or blue, or yellow, depending on the chemicals.

ive talked (emailed) with the seller, and he went the chemical route. while it isnt much per piece, the setup and finding someone to do it is hella expensive.

chris

7. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know... Looking at those images I can see what appears to be a painted surface. The image on the left almost appears to have a hair or somehting in the paint. Just doesn't look very smooth.

I would suggest going with translucent glass paint. This stuff drys hard and can be handled. Here's a link but there are a multitude of brands out there. Check your local hobby store.

http://www.deltacrafts.com/Paint/PermEnamel/xGlassPaint.asp

One in the UK
    http://www.glasspaintingmaterials.co.uk/sh...ransparent2.asp

8. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What he said....

Transparent glass tint/paint.

9. BB43MAN

BB43MAN Well-Known Member

Find a piece of quartz that you like, size and shape wise. Make a RTV mold of it and then cast it in green tinted clear resin. Viola.

10. SirJediKnightTim

I never heard of it. Glass paint sounds like it would work best. I knew you guys would know.

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jul 2 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]1272649[/snapback]</div>

11. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

12. b26354

b26354 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. SurferGeek

If you've ever had one of the crystal kits as a kid you'd remember that they are very fragile. You can grow green crystals but you couldn't really handle them, just for display.

14. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

I know on the old Superboy series they used to take green dye ( food coloring) and mix with with Mog podge then paint it on to the quartz.

15. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(b26354 @ Jul 3 2006, 04:16 AM) [snapback]1272798[/snapback]</div>
    If you'd looked a little further you would have found a green one - grow your own Kryptonite:

emerald crystal kit
    [/b][/quote]

:p That's what I said. The green color comes from the beryllium atoms that bounded to aluminium/silicondioxide [Be18)]. The atomic bounding structure forms a hexagonal grid, which let the crystal grow in a similar shape like the kryptonite minus the pointy tip. It comes also in various colors: red, blue, golden-color.

16. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Well, they certainly dye a lot of geodes, so there is probably a relatively cheap way to do it.
    Perhaps once you are set up to do it, it is easy and cheap, as the seller says.
    You could probably google for someone that does it too or check a rock/gem trade show.

I'd go the casting route, then you can make several and they would be durable, lighter than quartz and you wouldn't be worried if it got dropped or broken, it'd be easy enough to replace.

17. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

The method SurferGeek mentioned is probably the easiest. I wanted to make a Jedi saber crystal, so I took a quartz crystal and painted it with blue glass paint. It worked perfectly, and when you look at it, you can barely tell it was painted.

18. Walter

Walter Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Jul 2 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]1272934[/snapback]</div>
    :eek I have no idea what the heck you just said, but with that much technobabble, I say you are absolutely right.

;)

I think that the transparent paint would be the most economical route to go... it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on the project. If you are talking about a display, go the surfergeek route and grow emerald crystals, but like he said they are super fragile... otherwise you have painting, casting or what could potentially be an expensive little venture, dyeing.

Just my 2 cents

-Bryan

19. SurferGeek

I think the seller is protecting his/her rice bowl when they say they "went the chemical route". I doubt that seriously... I clipped some of the images from the auction and enlargened/enhanced them to prove a point.

The image on the upper left is clearly a hair in the paint, the one below it shows how the paint has settled in a recessed area of the xtal and the image on the right shows a mottled appearance of the paint.

[​IMG]

I would love to see someone's attempt to paint/dye some xtals.

20. hydin

painting works out ok. the only "igh" factor is the paint strokes in the glass paint, and the lack of non matte finish spray paint that is transparent in the US. im sure there is some, but green is hard to find. stained glass spray paints are all (cept red i think) a matte finish.

here are some quick n dirty pics of a gem i made by painting glass paint over it, its green/gold. looks pretty nifty :)

[attachmentid=8873]
    [attachmentid=8872]
    [attachmentid=8874]

chris

21. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a thought: Could you grow green crystals on top of the quartz?
    I have never grown any crystals. Anyone who has used a crystal growing kit who could say if this would be impossible or not?

22. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Might want to try this...as with any paint, the results have a great deal to do with the user.

23. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The seller in question is a recaster and a liar. Dont take anything he says as truth.
    He is currently recasting one of my ship keys from smallville.
    I asked him where he got the key and he told me he bought the mold from someone else. I searched my PayPal account for his email and sure enough I found he had purchased the key from me and lied about it.

24. SurferGeek

Over the weekend I was working on a model plane and was finishing the canopy. I use Future floor wax to make the plastic look almost like glass and have tinted it in the past.

If you want a real cheap way of doing the xtals, use some green food coloring with Future, it's water based and takes the coloring well. Nice thing is that if you want, you can remove the wax with a little ammonia and water.

25. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have googled a little on dyeing quartz. First, the gem has to have a porous surface for the dye to flow into. You can get cracks in quartz by heating it up and then quenching it in cold water. However, I have not found a guide for this yet, and I am afraid that it is quite easy to crack it too much. Cracks are also visible to closer observation.
    Next, for getting color into the cracks, you can use dyes, but dyes can fade with UV exposure etc. Better to use chemicals that are not vulnerable. Here is a guide for dyeing gems with chemicals: http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/inde...tone-dyeing.htm

26. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(tekmage3000 @ Jul 3 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1272930[/snapback]</div>
    What is Mog podge?

27. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Decoupage glaze. For decorating objects with decals, photos from magazines, etc. Personally, I'd use tinted clear Tamiya acrylics. They airbrush well, and they're great for tinting efects.

28. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Aug 7 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1295991[/snapback]</div>
    It's that stuff that elderly ladies brush on their jigsaw puzzles to keep 'em together. :p

As for the Kryptonite crystals, I really like the suggestions I'm reading.
    It's kinda funny, but back in 1981 in 7th grade shop class, I made a wooden 'Master Crystal' out of pine on the belt sander and used Testor's bright green model paint to paint it.

I know it didn't look right, but I was way ahead of my time. Hey...I was only 14.

29. SirJediKnightTim

Well, it's been a while, but I got the batman symbol, and a very nice piece of green fluorite which makes a nice piece of kryptonite. The only thing I need now is the box. But believe it or not, I'm having the most trouble in finding a plain box like the other person used.

Does anybody have any ideas where I could find a nice plain box, similar to what the guy used in my first post on this thread? I have looked EVERYWHERE. Or possibly something that looks more like what Batman would have? But I want a flat top so that the bat is more flush, or possibly put the bat on the front instead so that you can still see the bat when the box is opened.

30. hydin

any local hobby store should have em. hobby lobby or michaels probably has a few variants on em.

chris

31. SirJediKnightTim

Michaels is the one place that I didn't look yet. I will check there tonight. Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Nov 15 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]1358586[/snapback]</div>

32. hydin

[attachmentid=11106]
    [attachmentid=11107]

the last pic looks a little weird, but it was the camera. the box is actually a rectangle shape.

thats my micheals box :) (and my nifty green K)

chris

33. SirJediKnightTim

That's cool. Do you know if Michaels would have a metal box? I want it to resemble lead. I want to paint on the bottom something like "mfg in Gothem City, CAUTION: box contains lead"

I also have my Batman symbol to go on the top or front. So I want the box to look like something Batman would own.

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Nov 16 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]1358969[/snapback]</div>

34. hydin

nah , they would only have wood boxes.

you can paint em pretty easily to resemble lead though.

heres a pic of one i did a while back :). it was a quick and dirty black paint and silver rub n buff job. took maybe 20 mins total work time, most of that because of the rub n buff :lol

[attachmentid=11108]

the flash made it come out more silver than it is though. maybe i need to get one of those light tents :)

chris

35. SirJediKnightTim

Here is a photo of my box I'm working on. It's hard to see the batarang on the top of the box in my dark photo, but it's there.