My Conan swords - [more new swords]

In regards to improving the Barbarian II sword....here's some thoughts:

1. Handle Wrap: I like leather wraps. You can get 1/8" craft leather in spools at Walmart , Hobby Lobby, Michaels, online, etc... In the picture above of my first version of the Atlantean Sword... i wrapped a base wrap of black leather with each wrap snug against each other (no gaps). Then the second wrap of brown leather was spaced 1/8" for each wrap. It gave it a nice textured grip.

For your sword, I would sand down the diameter of the wooden handle about 1/4"... and remove the hour glass hump. The wooden core should be undersized compared to the guard and pommel so when the handle is wrapped with leather..the gripping diameter remains the same (just my preference).

2. In regards to the handle rattle... that's very common.... due to the tolerance of the pieces being fitted together. The goal is to fill those gaps internally. If you can get the sword apart (the pommel is probably threaded on and glued.... referred to as a rat-tail design). Then you can take it all apart and put in gap fillers easily that will stay hidden. I've used pieces of leather and steel epoxy putty to fill gaps. If I can't get it apart... i've dripped hot wax or expanding foam insulation.

3. If you want to replace the pommel, I can make a casting for you and drill and tap it so you can screw it on.

THANK YOU, DAVID !!! :D

I had been kind of intimidated to mess around too much with modifying (improving) my cheapo Barbarian II sword ... even though it really didn't cost me that much. :behave

Since I've been reading through and learning here at the RPF, my intimidation factor has diminished significantly .... so I think I will give your suggestions a shot a.s.a.p. I may even try "weathering" or "bronzing" the upper hilt - as soon as I figure out the best method for this. :confused

As for the pommel ... I may very well take you up on that offer.
Let me see how I make out with the first parts of the modification.

That's the spirit!!

I learned how those inexpensive swords were made the hard way. I went charging into forest to whack a small branch...and WHAM!!! The blade went one direction, the shattered hilt pieces went the other direction and I was left holding a broken handle with a real stupid look on my face....:confused :cry

HA HA!! First step in a long journey. :angry

CaptainMarvel like David said your sword is what a lot of people call an SLO sword like object. They are made cheap with a rat tail tang ( a thin rod welded to the shoulder of the blade) to screw the pommel to. It's not meant to swing etc just to place on the wall and be admired. So i think honestly Davids suggestion is better then taking it to a knife shop. It's still in my opinion not safe to swing but you can for sure make it look better.=) Good luck and have fun.

Hi, I'm new here. I came across this forum and David's work whilst trying to find information on the Windlass Conan swords and feel like Arnold stumbling across the Atlantean Tomb and discovering it's priceless contents inside. I made a comment on another thread in the junkyard without realising that those threads are deleted regularly and wished to state it here, again, on the record and for posterity, that the level of patience, skill, time, intelligence, care and indefatigable will that David has demonstrated in the production of these swords is absolutely amazing to me.

Truly inspiring work. Bravo, Sir!

Hi Tom , I actually own Arnold's hero Kalidor Sword from Red Sonja and you are right, it is an awesome sword. clearly inspired by the Atlantean. it has an amazing weight and is solid metal.

I IMG_0947.jpg

Skyball that is so cool. But i thought ALL the swords for Red Sonja were made of fibre glass as to for Conan the Destroyer? That what i read in one of Arnold's interviews anyway.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back