Shots of Original Trooper Helmets at LFL Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a very interesting (but now locked) thread on FISD concerning the Lucasfilm Archive Photos taken by Matt G as part of the LFL v SDS Case

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11267&pid=140392&st=0&#entry140392

I mention it here since although a number of us have had these photos for a few years, it now appears that following the FIST thread (and another similar one on MEPD) that the photos have effectively entered the "Public Domain" .

Since the cat is now out the bag I think its worth people on the RPF seeing them as well as they contain some superb shots of hardly seen helmets and armour from the OT.

I hope I've not gone against any of the RPF rules. If so I'll gladly remove this post and link.

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for pointing it out....much to study there....

The bottom line is not all helmets are created equal, in spite of what we've been led to believe.

Interesting...he was supposed to send me one of those DVDs but never did (not out any money though thankfully). Cripes, you think there's enough drama around Vader and it's nothing compared to the TKs.

Yeah stuck it to Matt and everyone else. Those of us who have had these pictures and paid for them are screwed over as well. So I can be happy that they are free to everyone I guess but Not happy at all that it was done in this way.

Yeah stuck it to Matt and everyone else. Those of us who have had these pictures and paid for them are screwed over as well. So I can be happy that they are free to everyone I guess but Not happy at all that it was done in this way.

I do understand your frustration - after all you paid a significant sum for something thats now been made "free". However I do think that the circumstances behind Matt selling these shots in the first place was somewhat unsavoury.

It seems that one of the original buyers felt so ripped off that he decided that to go "public" on them was the best revenge. It is a shame that others lost out though....

Cheers

Jez

i really understand your feelings about this but isn´t this just a small part of the original DVD?
i don´t want to justify this but if i understood it correct the original DVD was much bigger than just the helmet pics including original ANH suit pictures.

Hi Jez,

I know you and Matt don't get on very well but if this had not been Matt and it was somebody else from this forum the members would have been up in arms about it.

Matt had permission to take these photos they are his property I would think (not being too legally minded) he can do what he wants with them.

I personally think the guy posting the pics is out of order but that is just my opinion. He clearly had a hard time of it with Matt and sees this as the only way to respond.

I also don't think the guy who posted the pics stuck it to Matt at all. All he done was stick it to the people who paid for the pics - which is me as well :unsure

There are loads of pics missing and the resolution is not quite the 9 Meg tif files Matt supplied but either way some are up and that isn't going to change.

Is the guy who posted them a member here? If so please remind me never to share anything with him.

On a positive note - nice to see the 'Look Sir Droids' helmet is still kicking about :)

Chris

i really understand your feelings about this but isn´t this just a small part of the original DVD?
i don´t want to justify this but if i understood it correct the original DVD was much bigger than just the helmet pics including original ANH suit pictures.

It was much larger than that, Matt ripped me off, so i threw it back in his face by posting all that I had on my photobucket and making it public.

NICE pics!! Nothing like Troopers and drama......it's like peanut butter and chocolate. Two great tastes that taste great together:lol

Yeah, just because you are allowed to photo something does not mean you can make a profit on it. He was allowed in the archives because he was an "expert" and the pictures were likely for the court case against Ainsworth. The pictures REALLY dismantle any claims that Ainsworth has made about original molds handily.

Hi Jez,

I know you and Matt don't get on very well but if this had not been Matt and it was somebody else from this forum the members would have been up in arms about it.

Matt had permission to take these photos they are his property I would think (not being too legally minded) he can do what he wants with them.

Chris

Hi Chris

Does Matt get on with anyone? Seriously though I think he's wronged enough people on this forum (as well as others) that its bound to influence peoples opinions of what the guy did. If this was a one-off instance then I'm sure people would be more sympathetic - but in reality is just another example of a history of dodgy behaviour.

I agree with you though that its unfortunate that others have lost out - but at the end of the day it sounds like the guy was ripped off so this was how he thought he could best get back at Matt. Like you said thought theyre not of the same resolution - nor are of all the shots Matt provided - so the people who bought them still have something different.

I too am not sure of the legal position regarding this, clearly if he took the photos then normally he would own the rights to reproduce them. However the "history" to these photos was that Matt was invited to LFL to help the with the SDS case (hence the comparison photos with the SDS helmets and armor) - it would be interesting to know whether Lucasfilm were aware that he would be taking photos so he could sell them on to others for $500 a set. If they were happy with that then I would presume they signed a waiver?

Cheers

Jez

Jez, I think all of the old timers here have seen the lengths LFL will go to protect their IP. I do believe if they found out he was turning a profit from being allowed in the archives, he will catch hell for it....in more ways than one.

Hi Jez,

I kind of think if I was the guy who posted the pics I might well have went down another route of stating his grievance on this forum and the others he frequents and taking a bit more of a diplomatic route.

If after this I had gotten no response then I might have done something more drastic.

Just seems like he jumped in with two feet without really considering his actions.

I see that in the post at whitearmor he said he could not get in touch with Matt through facebook. If you look at Matt on facebook the guy who posted the pics was making positive comments about Matt's ROTJ helmets to Matt. Five hours later he is on a public forum posting links to the pictures and having a go at Matt.

Must have had a spot of TK rage,

Oh and by the way I am not saying that this guy hasn't been ripped off or cheated I just think he could have done things a little differently.

Doesn't matter now what is done is done.

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back