Anyone really buy DVD's anymore

propologist

Sr Member
I was looking through our modest dvd collection of a few hundred yesterday and maybe 40 are still sealed. we got off on a tangent of why buy them anymore. I mean how many people actually re-watch them after they buy them.
I'm not talking about special ones like i have the BG cylon version, the POtA set etc. I'm talking about just the basic Dvd's .
I still have my Robotech cartoons I recorded on VHS, yes VHS back when it came on the BOZO show many years ago. Now I can pull up the complete series and download them for free.
I remember the days of going to the video store on Tuesdays and waiting in line to rent a copy of the new release. man i miss those days.

I do. I've cut down quite a bit... mostly due to trying to budget myself (and the realization that I really don't watch that many).

I Netflix - but even a lot of those movies I don't watch.... or they just sit around until I finally send them in for a new one.

With Red Box and now Blockbuster rentals for a buck a piece, there are other option.

....and I bought the Robotech: Macross DVD set years ago. :lol

I stopped from day one. I bought my first DVD player back in 1997 for $700.00. They had a deal that if you buy one, you get 5 movies free. The downside, there were about 7 movies on the market, so I picked out five and ook them home.

Well, i learned quickly that I did not rewatch movies that I wasn't completely in love with. So I proceeded to only buy classic films that I loved as a child. Movies I knew I would watch again... along with a few TV series that I loved as a child as well. If I fall in love with a new movie, sure I will pick it up, but that has been few and far between.

I do. I have a very meager collection of just favs that I know I'll watch from time to time. Could be years in between for some, but when I'm in the mood, out they come. Sometimes I just need a John Wayne/Humphrey Bogart/Cary Grant/ Cagney film, a horror film, The Godfather, etc.

I do, as well. I won't watch TV on my computers, because I'm on my computers all day, so the last thing I want to do is Baron Harkonnen into my office chair. I have five good ones on my iPad now, though, but that's when I'm out and about.

I learned back in the VHS days that I rarely ever watch anything from my collection except for a very select few of the most favorites...

So even when DVDs rolled out I had already stopped making the purchases, there has never been a shortage of video stores by me to grab just about any movie I wanted on a whim to watch that night... And with Netflix and on demand downloads and PPV it has even become easier...

I do browse the clearance racks ever so often, I did it the other day at Big Lots they had a bunch of DVDs for $1-$3 and for that price it's worth the purchase vs even a single rental...

Usually when I can get them cheap... say on sale after they've been out a while or picking them up used. The only new movie I bought was Zombieland when it first came out. The reason was because there wasn't a copy available to rent anywhere and I really wanted to see it.

Also when I compare the prices at Blockbuster or my local, privately owned video store, it's not that much cheaper to rent it.

I don't watch TV since without cable or sat I get 2 channels and ones in spanish so yes I watch my DVD's over and over again.

I still buy them.
I'm always looking for bargains on the good stuff, but even pick up some not so great titles if they're cheap.
Haven't had cable for almost 4 years and just moved into a place that includes DirectTV. But since most TV shows still suck, pretty much every night is "movie night".

Many of the older titles I pick up are to upgrade from the VHS copy I've had for way too long.

Some of the ones I picked up in the last few weeks:
- a perfect used copy of Season 1 of The Soprano's for $6.50 in a second hand shop. Not even any signs of shelf wear.
- Heat for $3 shipped
- Outpost new for $3.99
- Get Shorty SE new for $3.99
- Exiled for $3 shipped
- Scanners new for $2.50

I'll still even pick up VHS if it's cheap and something that isn't cheap or readily available on DVD.

Picked up 4 pristine anime tapes in original Japanese w/ subtitles for a total of 2 bucks when I got the Soprano's.

O yea I still buy DVD's since I love watching movies. Though I constantly go through and weed out what I'm not watching anymore. Really I should since sometimes I go back and see said movie I sold off and start liking it again and end up buying it again.

Once I'm out on my own again I probably won't even get cable. the few shows I do watch I'll either watch online for download them if there isn't a place to watch them.

I mostly just buy them used on amazon.

I haven't been buying as many DVDs lately, since I'm going to be switching to blu-ray relatively soon. But I rewatch stuff. Plus, I like having an available library of films and TV shows to suit my mood or to show to other folks when they come over.

Jeez... I bought a few VHS videocassettes just the other day!!

I still watch all of my (approximately) 500 DVD movies.
I also watch all the TV series DVD box sets.

I have a few downloaded films.
Half of them I have on DVD too, but want to be able to watch them on my phone :lol

In 2009, the average price of a used dvd at the trade-in store was 7.99 to 12.99. Now it seems, it's 3.99 to 7.99. Even at Best Buy, they have numerous new dvds for sale at 3.99. While I like those prices, it's been my ipod I'm most concerned about filling up. I still have 92 gigs of room on it and I know I'll listen to music over and over.

I don't hold onto any DVD's unless they have re-watch value to me, and in most cases I use my wife's 'fashion' rule: if I don't watch it in a calendar year, out it goes (actually, I usually donate it to a children's hospital or library).

It leaves me with around 100 DVD's I rotate all the time, because I cannot - and WILL not - watch television (except for LOST). :) any new films I buy 9and they are few) are Blu-Ray.

We use Netflix for the curiosities and transient interests and also to catch up on obscure foreign films or classics, but our own stash is very modest.

:)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back