Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Update 4/5/12 Convention Pics Added

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Progress Update 1/24/11 Cowl Finished!

.... Are you going to weather the armour to give it a used look, what sort of colour scheme?

As for now it will all be a matte-ish black. I was intending to try to do some weathering or try some different colors but I've been working on this one for over two years now and I'm eager to start on a new project once I get all the pieces for this finished.

That's not to say I won't come back to this. The other day it struck me that I don't think anyone has done a Green Lantern Batman yet and I thought that would be very unique, funny and fun.

Last edited:

So does anyone have any advice/input on making a 2 part silicone mold using a brush on method? I know I could mold it all in one piece and cut the mold into two pieces but the lines won't be as clean as I'd like them to be.

I did a search on the forums here but had little success. I bet there's a gold nugget of info on the forums here that would answer my question but I have no idea where it would be.

Smooth-on recommended the use of Mann's Ease Release 200 but from my one time experience using it to keep a two part brush on mold from fusing to itself, wasn't successful.

You're trying to make it two silicone pieces right? not a 2 part mother mold?

I'd suggest making it a 1 piece and cutting a slit along the back so you can get the cast out with a 2 piece mother mold. A 2 piece silicone mold is usually a box mold where no mother mold is needed.

for urethane or foam/rubber cowls, most people use stone molds don't they?

Wow, now THAT is a killer Bat suit!

In regards to your question, if you're simply trying to keep the two silicone mold halves from sticking, I'm assuming you're talking Rebound 25 judging from your other pics, you can use Vaseline. Just brush it on liberally and you should be fine. I actually followed up with a spray coat of store-brand olive oil spray, but I know guys that just use the Vaseline.

Plenty of pics with descriptions in this album. You will need to scroll down a bit, before you get to the molding pics. Just look for orange, lol...

Classic Predator Right Hand Sculpt pictures by darthpinhead - Photobucket

I will say this: I'll NEVER do stone mother molds, again. Free Form Air over a coat or two of 300, all the way...

After having read this thread, I have a couple questions. For your waist/thigh armature, that was made via the plaster bandages over spandex/vaso, correct? And after you filled with expanding foam, pulled the bandages off, smoothed the foam and coated in resin, correct? What kind of foam did you use? Also, I've tossed around the idea of grinding up silicone left after doing a job but couldn't think of what to use. What did you use? Garage sale blender? Thanks!

Last edited:

This thread is amazing, bravo!

I'd suggest making it a 1 piece and cutting a slit along the back so you can get the cast out with a 2 piece mother mold.

Yeah, that crossed my mind but it's tough to get a clean straight line cutting silicone (at least in my experience) and I want as clean a line as possible in the flashing.

for urethane or foam/rubber cowls, most people use stone molds don't they?

I think so and I was considering this but I have no experience with this method and I don't want this project to be my first attempt at making a stone mold. But if it is truly be the best or proper route, I will do it (reluctantly).

I'm assuming you're talking Rebound 25 judging from your other pics
Yup!

you can use Vaseline. Just brush it on liberally and you should be fine.
Do you heat up your vaseline or cut it with anything to thin it out for brushing? What about mixing food coloring in it to see where you have put it on?

Plenty of pics with descriptions in this album. You will need to scroll down a bit, before you get to the molding pics. Just look for orange, lol...
That is some great step by step work there, thanks for posting the link. Do I see you laying down already cured bits of silicone about 3/8" thick so you can gauge the thickness of your mold as your brushing on the layers? :) I do this with almost every mold I make now.

I will say this: I'll NEVER do stone mother molds, again. Free Form Air over a coat or two of 300, all the way...
I'm sorry, what do you mean by Free Form Air over a coat or two of 300?

For your waist/thigh armature, that was made via the plaster bandages over spandex/vaso, correct? And after you filled with expanding foam, pulled the bandages off, smoothed the foam and coated in resin, correct? What kind of foam did you use?

Yeah, I did use a spandex suit. Can't remember if I used vaseline or not. I think I risked it without using vaseline (if I remember right). Pulled on some hairs but it wasn't too bad. I used expanding foam that I picked up at my local tap plastics. Their X-30. And it worked great. I did do about 2 small batches for each leg instead of one large batch for fear that a large batch, as it would cure would create too much pressure outward on the plaster bandages. At least with a couple small batches, I knew it would primarily clime its way up without putting too much pressure on the plaster bandage negative. But it may have worked fine if I did one or two batches. Dunno.

Here's the X-30:
TAP X-30 Polyurethane Foam: TAP Plastics

I did intend to peel off the bandages and resin coat it but it became too much of a hassle and I just sanded the bandages down some. I know the dimensions make it slightly larger than mine but for what I'm doing with this project, it should be fine.

Also, I've tossed around the idea of grinding up silicone left after doing a job but couldn't think of what to use. What did you use? Garage sale blender? Thanks!

I picked up a hand powered meat grinder. This was recommended to me by multiple people. I don't think a regular blender would be too successful in getting the job done.

Grinding silicone can get kind of messy. As you grind, the silicone builds static electricity and you have all this teeny bits of silicone trying to jump out of the container as you pick it up and move it around.

I first had an old one I got for free but bought a new one that cut and ground much more easily. It's still a slow process though. Silicone is not conducive to being ground up at all! You can get a pretty good workout in. ;)
Here's an example of one:
Eastman Outdoors #10 Meat Grinder 38213

Again thank you everyone for following my work and please keep the questions and comments coming!

eeeeepic man, so i dont have enough time to read the whole thing (unfortunately) but i was wondering why you went with black, and now grey?

eeeeepic man, so i dont have enough time to read the whole thing (unfortunately) but i was wondering why you went with black, and now grey?

All black is easier to do. It better hides the straps and what not and it's easier to find black under suits.

My original intent was to do a grey, which some day in the future I do want to do a grey iteration.

Bro, you've got some wicked skills! Another thing in your favor I think is that the shape of your face looks good in the cowl. I learned the hard way that I have to be really careful with what cowl I use or it looks awkward on me.

do you just prime right onto the clay? :confused it looked like that for your leg sculpt
also how do you get it so smooth? :D i use nsp chavant too

Do you heat up your vaseline or cut it with anything to thin it out for brushing? What about mixing food coloring in it to see where you have put it on?

I did not, just brushed it on out of the jar, though I do not see why you couldn’t put it in the microwave to liquefy it. As for mixing in food coloring, you could try, but I’m not so sure it would mix; isn’t food coloring water based?

Do I see you laying down already cured bits of silicone about 3/8" thick so you can gauge the thickness of your mold as your brushing on the layers?

Yeah, same thing you did. I also scored a line along the clay wall.

I'm sorry, what do you mean by Free Form Air over a coat or two of 300?

Sorry, reading that again, I realize it’s pretty much gibberish, lol. They are both Smooth On products:

NEW Free Form® Epoxy Putty | Mold Making and Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More
Smooth-Cast® 300, 300Q, 305, 310 Product Information | Smooth-On

I just spoke with a buddy of mine whose company has been doing their mother molds this way. Initially I was going to just do a layer of the FFA on top of the Rebound 25, but he told me they had a number of molds where the FFA actually adhered to the silicone and they had to break them off. So the solution is to do a thin coat of resin (Could probably get away with cheaper 3M polyester resin from Home Depot) and then back it up with the FFA. The FFA is just uber light (About 1/3 of the weight of PlastiPaste from the measurements I took at Reynold’s a month ago) and super strong. It’s also pretty cheap, not as cheap as doing just a glass mother, but cheaper than PP. Smells like Fritos, too, lol. The only downside about it from my experience, is that it takes 24 for full cure, so something to keep in mind.

do you just prime right onto the clay? :confused it looked like that for your leg sculpt
also how do you get it so smooth? :D i use nsp chavant too

Yeah, once I can get it as clean as possible with my sculpting skills, I usually use a high build primer then fill in the dings and dents, highs and lows using drywall joint compound. Sand it down and repeat until it is to my liking. But I'm getting better at sculpting and am needing this step less and less.

I did not, just brushed it on out of the jar, though I do not see why you couldn’t put it in the microwave to liquefy it. As for mixing in food coloring, you could try, but I’m not so sure it would mix; isn’t food coloring water based?

I went back and tried the microwave again. Worked pretty well to thin it out. It just took longer than I thought it would. And yeah the food coloring didn't mix well since it's water based. But smooth-on's so strong tints for urethane plastics worked really well. Just did some tests and waiting for the silicone to cure. So far everything looks good.

Sorry, reading that again, I realize it’s pretty much gibberish, lol. They are both Smooth On products:

NEW Free Form® Epoxy Putty | Mold Making and Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More
Smooth-Cast® 300, 300Q, 305, 310 Product Information | Smooth-On

I just spoke with a buddy of mine whose company has been doing their mother molds this way. Initially I was going to just do a layer of the FFA on top of the Rebound 25, but he told me they had a number of molds where the FFA actually adhered to the silicone and they had to break them off. So the solution is to do a thin coat of resin (Could probably get away with cheaper 3M polyester resin from Home Depot) and then back it up with the FFA. The FFA is just uber light (About 1/3 of the weight of PlastiPaste from the measurements I took at Reynold’s a month ago) and super strong. It’s also pretty cheap, not as cheap as doing just a glass mother, but cheaper than PP. Smells like Fritos, too, lol. The only downside about it from my experience, is that it takes 24 for full cure, so something to keep in mind.

Cool! I think I'll have to give this a shot for my next project. I'd love to lighten up those mothermolds!

I tried working on the neck piece today, building templates and what not but realized the clay cowl is just too fragile to work around. I'll have to make my mold of the cowl first before I tackle the neck cover.

1st pull from the mold!

It turned out pretty well. I needed to add about 1" of foam in the back and 1/2" at the brow for fit and comfort. Haven't cleaned off the flashing yet.

I made it out of Smooth-On's Task 13 plastic. It has some great properties. It's resilient and flexible. But the problem is it doesn't stretch. So as I was test fitting, it started splitting at the chin strap and by one of the ears. For my next piece, I'll probably split it little way up the jaw/ear line on both sides and run some elastic on the inside to keep its shape.

Has anyone used Smooth-On's Task 16? It looks pretty flexible and if it has some stretch to it, it might be perfect for this.

2012-02-20_18-59-50_515.jpg

2012-02-20_19-02-58_586.jpg

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Progress Update 2/22/11 1st Cowl Pull

I didn't take as many photos as I thought of the process.

Here's the first half ready for the support shell.

420552_10150613553604522_501684521_8770510_1073656736_n.jpg

The second half ready for molding.

422847_10150613553849522_501684521_8770513_148506310_n.jpg

420188_10150613555444522_643275518_n.jpg

Second half support shell curing.

431454_10150613557249522_501684521_8770532_1339755585_n.jpg

Mold finished!

398482_10150613559309522_501684521_8770539_173758377_n.jpg

I thought I could get away with building a two part support shell and separate it all when finished. I was very wrong. Sadly, I had to break the life cast out to free the mold.

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Progress Update 2/22/11 1st Cowl Pull

Here's the neck piece, ready for molding.

P3040136.JPG

P3040137.JPG

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum Armor Progress Update 3/4/11 Neck Piece Ready for Molding

what did you make your final gaunlets out of & what kind of mold technique did you use?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back