Back to the future... Screen used???

Moviefreak

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, I went to yourprops.com, and browsed the Back to the Future items. Now, while I know they make duplicates of props for films, and always prepare back up for the back ups, how many real props are actually out there? It seems that everyone has a "screen used" Marty cowboy hat. They have a screen used Oh La La magazine. There were a couple screen used Sports Almanacs and a few screen used Phone book pages.

So my question is, how do you know?? COA? Those can be made at home and don't really tell a true lineage of an item....so how do you know what you are getting if they ever come up for sale?

Is it me, or do others have a hard time believing that so many "screen used" versions of the same porps are flaoting around out there?

Yeah, I think there are some props out, and of course they made some more props for different scenes.

But of course there are a lot of relicas out, and some people sell them on ebay with a selfmade COA and these people believe they got a screenused prop...

At the moment there are lots of burgees battery labels out, of course every label is screenused... :rolleyes

I know. You see the battery labels flat as a pancake, and in mint condition, but they were "screen used". I have seen screen used items, and the word "used" is an understatement. They are usually beat up to a cetain point from the use. I think "screen used" and "made for the production" are getting confused. It can be made for production, but never be seen on the screen or held by the main actors.

I've seen alot of fake or misleading screenused posts on yourprops.com . They are ok with most post and leave it up to the members to settle disputes about the items as far as screen used vs replica status. Recently someone posted 5 or 6 Michael Myers/Halloween masks on yourprops as screen used and then in the item title or descrption admited that the masks are simply reproductions from questionable production molds (yet when I pointed it out them they just insulted me and my legit colletion like a baby and thier items are still posted as "screen used" to this day). I'm not knocking yourprops in any way all my screen used post on there are legit and I'm greatfull to that site for providing a place for me to show them off, and 99.9% of the posters on that site are honest as far as I can tell. It all boils down to how each poster feels about thier items. I've been ripped off a few times so I can understand sticking to your guns, but if I know for sure I've been taken I would not try to make another person fall for the same BS that I did

Thanks. I am just curious as I saw a "Sreen used" Orange slice bottle from BTTF on Ebay last week. I was hesitant to bid since there was no good COA or letters. They all seem to have the same story... "I got this from a prop master on the film, or a friend who worked on the set, therefore, I do not have any COA with this as it was just a gift...." So I cannot see dropping HUGE bucks on something like that. So many high quality replicas are being created today, it is getting hard to distinguish the good from the bad, and unless you are dealing with a 100% honest seller, I cringe.

Thanks. I am just curious as I saw a "Sreen used" Orange slice bottle from BTTF on Ebay last week. I was hesitant to bid since there was no good COA or letters.

I saw that Slice Bottle also but since I have been around and seen how the real ones are made, I know that one was a screen used bottle.

Other than doing years of research on each prop you are interested, there is no way to know if you got a screen used prop.

Yes, I wasw wondering about that bottle. And it sold well over a grand. I feel bad for anyone duped into that.

Well Brad did say it was really screen used unless it was a typo :lol. I would def. trust his judgement when it comes to these bottles as he has done the research.

At the same time, we know that THREE def. screenused bottles sold for much less combined. BUT, prices and worth are subjective!

Oops... I misread that. My bad. I thought he said it was not. I am still a novice, so I am afraid to buy anything right now. i need to beef up my knowledge of props before I get into the big ticket ones.

^ Smartest thing I have read all day!

It def. pays to be an educated buyer. The problem is that sometimes those quick fingered purchases can pay off big time and sometimes they don't- that's the gamble!

>>>clip<<<
Other than doing years of research on each prop you are interested, there is no way to know if you got a screen used prop.

Unfortunately, that is one of the few surer ways. Other than that, always deal only with known reputable people and always ask here on the RPF and other forums with members in the know--about the item and the person trying to sell it.

Right now there is a Jack Sparrow frock coat coming up in an auction.
http://www.profilesinhistory.com/it...e-caribbean-the-curse-of-the-black-pearl.html
I have studied this coat for over two years and have made two replicas of it and I just last week got to see one on display in FL. I know Jack's frock coat like I know my own child and there is no way, no how the coat in the link above is a from any of the three POTC movies.

The waters are so muddy with replicas, it's a brave man/woman nowadays who lays down the hard earned cash for what is called a screen used item. You see all the stellar things made by the members here--most actually better than the screen used or production made items. Yep, it's foggy out there and "Buyer beware" seems a totally inadequate warning!?

Shylaah

Last edited:
I have studied this coat for over two years and have made two replicas of it and I just last week got to see one on display in FL. I know Jack's frock coat like I know my own child and there is no way, no how the coat in the link above is a from any of the three POTC movies.Shylaah

Yeah but it says "Jack 5" on the inside so it MUST be real...:$

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back