New Doctor Who trailer

Wow I'm a devote Who Fan, and well... That certainly didn't do much for me...

Although I still have faith in the series and writers, so I will hold out judgment...

I like it. It's just a fun little promo. It's not clips from an actual episode. Though it will be hard to get used to a new Doctor after loving DT as prob my favorite Doctor. I just hope that we are not going to go back to the "companions having the hots for the Doctor" plotline. After Rose, Martha and Captain Jack, lets go back to (a favorite con quote from the 80's) "Theres no hanky panky in the TARDIS".

That was one lame teaser. No structure. No hook. No sense. Hope it's going to be better than someone screwing around on their student film.

Wow, talk about a brutal reception. It's a teaser, guys. It's meant to get people to look into it further, not explain the plot. I'm hoping the time vortex looks exactly like that in the show starting next season, it just looks too cool.

Tennant was my favorite Doctor as well, but I think Smith will do alright. Even if he doesn't I think the writing will blow the Davies era episodes out of the water.

So is Neil Gaiman really writing an episode? He's one of my favorites and would be cool to see his take on the Doctor.
After seeing the "original" trailer introducing Matt Smith, I think I will like him. It's just I really wanted DT to stay on a bit longer.
Geronimo!!!

Wow, talk about a brutal reception. It's a teaser, guys. It's meant to get people to look into it further, not explain the plot. I'm hoping the time vortex looks exactly like that in the show starting next season, it just looks too cool.

Tennant was my favorite Doctor as well, but I think Smith will do alright. Even if he doesn't I think the writing will blow the Davies era episodes out of the water.

I think it's not that appealing even as a teaser, really.

Let's hope the actual new series doesn't need defending and that it'll speak for itself as well-done.

I think it's not that appealing even as a teaser, really.

Exactly I know it's a teaser but it's not 'teasing' me... I have watched all the Who teasers I can get my hands on over the years and IMO that one simply had nothing going for it...

Just watch say for example the BBC indents around X-mas that featured Tennant/Reindeer and the Tardis knee deep in snow, even at a whooping 4 seconds long they were entertaining, catchy and made me want more Who, this new teaser, not so...

Show me a 4 second clip of him in the new Tardis, sliding/slapping/pushing whatever control it takes to get the Tardis fired up and hear the 'engines' kick in now that would tease me...

Last edited:
I'm a long-term Who fan, been watching it since Castrovalva, but it this period of moving on from the Powell estate and all that good stuff makes me really sad.
Plus Matt Smith has a horribly middle-class, Tony Blair accent.
That said, new Doctor Who on the way, hurray!

Er, he sounds not much like Tony Blair. (No idea whether it is his real accent - not really relevant, but David Tennant was putting on a fake accent, he's Scots.)

Powell Estate? Ugh. Rose's mum and (early) Mickey were the absolute worst things in the revived show. Can't stand RTDs various agendas. It's not that they're PC, it's that they're freakin' unsubtle, smack-you-in-the-face stuff.

My take:

I think what we're seeing here is history repeating itself.

In 1981, Tom Baker was still everyone's favorite Doctor ever. I suspect that the announcement that Peter Davison would be coming on rather disappointed a lot of people and/or left them skeptical. However, I think Davison's turn as the Doctor is an excellent one. (Yes, Adric sucks, and the other companions were a bit irritating, but Davison was a good doctor.)

Fast forward to 2010. Tennant is everyone's favorite Doctor currently, and the new guy (Smith) is looked on with suspicion and skepticism. Totally reasonable, but just bear in mind he could end up being pretty good. I'm definitely picking up on the "old man in a young body" thing, and I think his costume style really reflects that. He's not an emo doctor, he's more sort of a schoolteacher (at least from the look).

As far as the teaser itself...eh. Nothin' special. Daleks are back (what a stunner...), weeping angels, too.

I do agree that the whole mooney-eyed "oooh Doctor, I luuuurv you" thing needs to go, but I'm hopeful they'll keep that to a minimum. I hope they don't go in the opposite direction, too (a la Peri and 6 at the beginning of their run...).

The only thing that makes me wary is some of the facial expressions in the teaser. They looked a bit.....goofy. I hope that doesn't mean the show is trying to skew younger.

The Doctor is facing off the Weeping Angels from "Blink" again? That'd be awesome. My mom and dad actually liked "Blink" and said that should have been a story for a movie instead of a "Doctor Who" episode because of how good it was.

Er, he sounds not much like Tony Blair. (No idea whether it is his real accent - not really relevant, but David Tennant was putting on a fake accent, he's Scots.)
That is Matt Smiths real accent, after Eccleston?Tennant/Tate/Piper etc., it's a bit jarring for me to hear someone who sounds like a first year student from the home counties. Not that I hold that against him but it wasn't what I expected.

It was quite interesting to see the line about "I thought I'd fixed that." That's a very RTD-era thing for the Doctor to say. I'm starting to feel that the Moffatt era might not be that different in tone from Russells, at least not for the first season.

The best thing about it is that it gives a start date (4/4), i'd read elsewhere it was 5/31 which is nearly 2 months later. So, I like 4/4 much bettter. Hopefully BBCA is 4/11 or 4/18.

I watched it and thought, "Hmmm; I don't know about this new guy..." and realized I'd thought that every single time they swapped Doctors since Tom Baker. :lol

Ditto on that, I thought it was fine for a teaser and I am looking forward to the new Doctor, every single Doctor has had awesome episodes and stinkers...Timelash anyone? anyone?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back