Question: Time-Turner from Harry Potter

talyn

G'day!
So I'm new around here and I'm looking for some info. I did a search and couldn't find any info, so I thought that this would be a good place to ask my question.

I'm thinking of buying a replica the Time-Turner from the 3rd Harry Potter movie. So far I've found that the Noble Collection make one and also that WB Japan make one as well.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me which is the better one to buy ? and also if anyone has some out of the box pics, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, I though so as well, but it's hard to find info, let alone good close up pics of both Time-Turners, so here I am. lol.

And I'm happy to be here mate! lol.

Some pics that may help:

Noble..
69667333d.jpg

25450514.jpg

Japan..
291675264o.jpg

291675444o.jpg

harrymisskeytimeturner3.jpg

Thanks very much for the pics mate! I have to admit, both really do look great!

I think I need more info though before I can decide which one to buy, both seem great, but I've heard that Nobles doesn't last long ? However, I don't know anything about the one from WB Japan.

I have the Japanese one. I haven't seen them side by side to tell the difference, but I really like the Japanese one. When I first got it is was put together so tightly it wouldn't move, but after a while of fidgeting with it, I finally got it to rotate. I get a lot of compliments on it at events, too. :)

Good luck with your decision!

I got the cheap plastic sticker one and I like it. granted I'm planning on putting some work into it (the rings are thick, the paint is the "plastic copper" color, there's too few stars on the inner ring, etc) but for the money I spent and what I plan to get out of it, it's a great deal.

Dear All,

I want to buy a time turner for a friend's birthday in six weeks.

Does anyone know if the japanese one for 2800 yen is the same as the $125 USD ones now available from Noble Collection - or do we now have 4 different models to choose from!?

Noble Collection Time-Turner ($49 USD)

Noble Collection Time-Turner Sterling Silver gold plated ($125 USD)

Noble Collection Time-Turner Sterling Silver ($125 USD)

From http://www.harrypottershop.co.jp

HP JP Time-Turner ( 2,800 Yen = 30 USD)

HP JP Time-Turner (Noble Import Time Turner? 5,565 Yen = 59 USD)

How did people purchase from the japanese website? Did they use google translator?

Grateful for any replies!

Joe.

Joe,

As far as I know, the $125 version is exactly the same as the cheaper version in design, but it just has gold plating or is in a better metal. The words are not engraved/recessed like on the Japanese version, but painted instead.

For my Japanese Time Turner, I ordered it from someone on eBay, who I can pass along if wanted. It arrived in about 7 days from Japan after paying.

What others have said. I've got both. The Japanese version feels more solid and has better detailing. However, the joints are also stiffer and harder to turn (although neither one spins freely, at least not right out of the box). I got the Japanese one from ebay seller 'misskey' She wasn't actually listing one at the time, so I just messaged her and she sold me one direct; easy paypal transaction and she shipped from Japan the next day. I see she has two listed on the bay right now.

Time turner

I did finally get both the Japanese version and the Noble collection one.

The Japanese version I got off ebay and the Noble Collection one I just got from WB as they had a restock.

I got interested in the Time Turner after seeing the traveling HP Prop exhibit and seeing the actual prop

Of course no photographs were allowed at the exhibit so I have to go by memory of what I saw.
I noticed that the rings on the real prop were fairly thin compared to the ones offered for sale. I recall thinking how delicate the prop looked. I guess to make the piece more durable for sale the rings were made thicker. I do not remember if the words around the outside were engraved or not.

The middle section with all the stars look like a photo etched item as it was fairly thin and the stars were well defined.

Japanese version
Good points
Engraved words around the ring is nice
Better hourglass compared to the Noble one
Better chain. Longer and smaller links

Bad points
The middle section is cast and looks rough
The rings are stiff to turn when you first get it
The rings are thicker then the Noble one

Nobel Collection
Good points
Thinner rings compared to the Japanese one but still thicker then the prop
Better middle section where the stars are
The outer ring rotated well on mine. I know others have complained about how stiff their’s was.
The case is a nice touch. It is cheaply made but for the price I will not complain too much

Bad points
A very short chain and the links look large
Words around the ring are printed
The hourglass sand falls too fast

I would rate the Japanese version slightly higher then the Noble one.

You can get the Japanese version on ebay

I got the sticker kit with the Time Turner and there is no way you can beat the price. However it is made of plastic (Except the chain) and much larger then the other 2

Thanks, man! As you say, the price makes this an unbeatable "close-enough" item!

You think it would be possible to modify the sticker kit to accept a "real" hourglass part?

DSC02201.jpg

I just received the Time Turner (WB Japan version) from eBay. It certainly looks nice.. but I expected that the rings would not look oval and the engraving would not be truncated at some places - this flaw isn't very noticeable when the rings are opened up though. Still, as many others have mentioned, it spins well and looks slightly more durable than those offered by Noble.

Guys...in my opinion, if you want to buy a time turner for accuracy...The Noble Collection is the way to go...remember at Comic-Con, how they had props there? And I know it's not the Noble Collection copies, because the locket actually had a small chain around it rather than the "notches" on Noble's version, well one of the props there, was the Time-Turner...in the movie the words are indeed PRINTED, not engraved on the rings...the japanesse one is far too gold, and by far too gold i mean it looks briht, shiny, and new, which is not how it's supposed to look, and the middle section looks awful in my opinion, not to mention how thick therings are. Noble's is more accurate...take a look:

timeturnercomparison.jpg

Sure, Noble's chain may be shorter, but i'm using mine for accuracy and display, and besides the chain in the movie itself grows a ridiculous amount during the Third Act anyways. So, if you want accuracy Noble is the way to go, because looking at this prop at Comic-Con (Which is NOT Noble's Time-Turner) you can clearly see the words printed, NOT etched or engraved (which IMO is better, because on those pictures of the japanese one i can barely read the words) It seems to me that the Noble one has more pros for accuracy than it's cons, the japanese one, looks FAR too golden, the engraved words on the rings are inaccurate (which also in turn caused the rings to have to be thicker), so yeah Noble's is better and closer to the actual prop. That's my verdict.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back