Finished Warhammer Bolter

C0mmand3rC0dy

Sr Member
So this is my third time painting a resin model, and I'm learning a bit more everytime I do one of these!

I started with plain white primer and then proceeded to do a 6 stage color scheme, just wanted to share the final product with y'all. I wasn't sure how to go about any weathering, so I kind of put that off :lol

The final touches were filling the insides with Great Stuff expando foam and then added 16 pounds worth of steel sand (the kind in spare ankle weights you don't need). Now it weighs as least 20:thumbsup

Please comment with any suggestions, or randomness!

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! While making it 30 pounds definitely makes it more accurate I can't imagine carrying it around. :confused Can the handle even support that much weight?

I was just going for a little extra weight for realism (maybe the gross weight is more in the 20's range). The handle can actually take it (albeit the inside was reinforced with the foam). This way I can get a workout playing with the thing.

Last edited:
Did you make this or get it somewhere. I am a long time 40k player and love this. I agree with what's been said about the weight but I don't think that it would hold me back from wanting one of my own.

Cleanse, purge, kill!

Awesome job. I'm a huge 40k fan, with the Astartes being my army. Looks like you did your homework on it, because it looks totally codex. Look forward to seeing the weathered job.

For the Emperor!

I think I may take it back to work with me when I go back to San Antonio in August :love This would look kick-butt in a custom display case.

I used a crap load of masking tape, and a whole bunch of spray paint.

I have no real idea about how to go weathering it, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It looks really really cool.

But I think you could have spent more time doing your prep work getting the surface imperfections cleaned up a bit more, but that said it looks pretty darn awesome. Where did you get it, or is it all custom?

While i like this a lot, i think it might benefit from ( as stated befor) better surface prep and maybe use more muted/metallic colours. Also it's screaming out for a bit of weathering!!!!!

Rich

Wow, that piece really is quite uneven - shame! But for a general fun thing it's pretty cool.

Weathering it will REALLY make it work tho. If it's weathered, the uneven surfaces won't matter as much. If it looks factory-new, they stick out.

If you're new to weathering then go with something simple this time. Pastel weathering powder in black or grime colour is your friend! Just get a stiff paintbrush (large model brush, or small edging housepaint brush), dip it in the powder and scrub it into crevices, corners and recesses. Feather it out onto flat surfaces. You could add some paint chips with silver paint as well, or even some rust with rust-coloured weathering powder.

Hit it with a matte clear coat after you are happy with the powder or it will come off on your hands. Will give you a 100% improvement with an hour or two of work. Would love to see this weathered!

Last edited:
I will DEFINITELY do that! It'll have to be in a week or two though, have to replace 500 computers in a month at my work :sleep I really can't wait to make it look 10 times better.

I think it was the primer that kind of went on a little rough, is there any specific kinds that are best for resin models?

All said and done, i think you've done a stand up job on this, great work!!

Weathering would finish it off nicely, plus it would help mask any uneven parts or small imperfections easily.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back