Too big for Darth Vader?

Quick search found these as well:

543151482_b21abceb19_o-vi.jpg

Can't help but think... "Haters gonna hate" :lol

OK, so you can be the perfect size, perfect outfit, every detail up to standard; and some guy comes up to you and says, "Which one of these buttons do you push to call your Mom to pick you up" (insult dog)

I love seeing people in costumes they don't belong in. It means they are living the fantasy. Fat spiderman, short predator, muffin top Leah, tall hobbit. God bless them.

Be Darth Vader damn--t.

On second thought, maybe not Spiderman, Vader yes though.

Short storm trooper? Just think blue harvest;)

How important is body type to a costume? This is something that i have been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while.

personally, I believe it's very important.. I am 5'5 and would love to be Darth or Jason, but will never because my height ruins the authenticity of the costume.

then there are loop holes like Indiana Jones and Han Solo (both played by H.Ford who is 6'1) but I don't believe the general public thinks of those "characters" as being tall.

Fully agree!!:)
I always thought costuming should be for people who love it, not for people who look like the character. I mean, there's never going to be a person who looks like Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford. The point is to have fun and be as accurate as you can with what you have. Sure, I may not enjoy seeing a 200 lbs Harley Quinn, but she's having fun with what I'm only going to assume is one of her favorite characters.

I'm not the skinniest person, but I can cheat. If you can cheat for accuracy, wonderful. If not, just have fun. That's why we're all here, right? No-one twisted our arms to join here. We're here because this is what we love.

it unnerves me to no end when someone keeps their beard when they wear a costume that the character they portray does not have a beard. it unnerves me to no end to see someone dressed in formal clothing and wear sneakers. it unnerves me to no end see someone who is out of shape wear a costume they should not be wearing.

fat batmans give comic book fans a bad name. its the very ANTITHESIS of batman. while im not going to say "screw you! to you people saying more power to you! you have great courage!" because you do considering what you will be facing in an overweight darth vader costume, but really, bottom line you should be aware of your limitations, and you should be very aware that i and many others will point, laugh, snicker and make all kinds of fun of you.

i echo you should get on a regimine where you become more healthy, lose weight and then you can be your favorite character.

ive said it many times in the past how much i would absolutely LOVE to be a superhero for an event, and that superhero would be BOOSTER GOLD. now, i know im not in the best shape(im too damn skinny), and i have a very very difficult time getting my body in tone(i can work out until im blue in the face, change my diet, do what i need to do, yet i still dont gain any muscle mass or weight). ive come to the conclusion, there may not be a chance for me to do that no matter how hard i try, so i adapt.

i wear costumes i know i can get away with with characters i am very interested in. i still however do my best to keep myself in shape. another form of adaptation is altering a character, another dream costume i have is a DIESEL PUNK BOOSTER GOLD, because i love pulp heroes.

so, you know, get in to exercising, dont run right to the gym, but do atleast TRY to get into shape and then maybe think about it

I guess its also your mindset, if you're doing it for halloween, for fun, for levity or for irony.. then I guess its ok. But a serious costumer, would figure body type into the costume equation.

"the man" reminded me that I would love to pull of spiderman, but won't... I don't have his his build. (I am a good enough height and weight, but my gut wont' look good in tight clothes.)

and if you want to get technical on "beards" I would throw "glasses" in there as well. I don't remember Princes Leia wearing glasses as slave leia. If you're going to fork out the fifty bucks for a costume, go the extra step and wear contacts that night.

i was very ashamed of myself when i wore glasses for my first joker costume. had i known how much better i look with contacts(outside of costuming), i would have done that alot sooner. never again. i would like to echo glasses as an addition to the list of costume no-no-ery. at the time i knew i was aware me wearing my glasses while in my joker costume looked dumb, so it makes me wonder if fat batmans know it looks dumb to do that. that fat darth vader just looks awful, like he's draped in tarps.

take all the offense you want to all my comments, i have overweight friends that would agree me on every one of them.

Where do people draw the line? If fat, bearded or glasses wearing people aren't allowed to be Character X, should an Asian person be allowed? Can a white chick dress up like Storm or should there be a black Thor? Is a little person destined to play an ewok, jawa or munchkin for every single Halloween because some anal nerds on a forum say they can't be the Bat?

I say let the people do whatever they want. ANY person. Dressing up should be fun, not grounds for ridicule and discrimination.

Right i have read a lot of the comments on here and i have to agree that size is important

Im 6Ft 5", with a 48" chest and a 36" waist... not far from Prowse size ( i can shift a few pounds either way by either hitting or avoiding the gym)

but as Vader you have to be intimidating, pointless being stood next to a TK who towers you or is the same size

heres me with one of our garrison at a troop
71531_489873583627_687988627_7129774_3354687_n.jpg

size and proportion are essential to carry the character out, but at the end of the day we do it because we enjoy it, if someone does a suit and they are clearly not the right size (page one a classic example) then who are we to criticise? he clearly enjoys doing it and has put as much if not more effort into putting the suit together as i can imagine sourcing kit at that size wouldnt of been easy

every credit to him

After reading this thread I have 3 things to say:

1) I'm never ever posting anything I make on this forum. At least not while I'm wearing it.

My way around that is I will ONLY post pictures on here if I'm in costume. And thanks for trimming my post; I tend to use 500 words when 5 will suffice. :lol

I mean, there's never going to be a person who looks like Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford. The point is to have fun and be as accurate as you can with what you have.

I look exactly like Carrie Fisher.

"Retired Vader" (not gonna call him fat cuz I ain't skinny) isn't screen accurate (body suit is off, chest/shoulder armor too small). But does he need to be?

I think the true test is if a 6 year old looks at him and gets freaked out and either says "Daddy it's Darf Vader. He's mean. I don't like him" or "OH MY GOD!!! DARF VADER!!!!!"

Evidence of someone enjoying themselves dressing up as a nerd icon.

Yup. And she(?) has every right to do so.

People dress up and go to cons or post pics on the internet for attention. The more outlandish you look, the more attention you'll get. Good or bad.

BTW, I stumbled across this pic this morning after reading this thread and thought it was relevant. The site that posted it was mocking her. You have to expect that sort of thing.

This is all about context....Are you going to wear this around the comic shop or local trooping event to make kids and adults smile and point wanting pics with you or are you going for ultra screen accuracy movie prop to put on display like Gino's VERY FINE COLLECTION or wear to official sponsored events like our esteemed Cp3P0 Chris (The yes - it matters to be proportionate but fans - come on - let us just be fans)? That's the question to answer on your own and not worry what others think about cos play in public (We are ALL looked on as Geeks even those of us that are close to the official size of the characters we portray for FUN). Iwas around a member here at events years ago where he pulled off his 280 to 300 lb Sand Trooper he sculpted himself from scratch with 501st approved detail. The nature of the dirtied suit and care of interaction with public where and how you carry yourself went a long ways which in the end the public didn't care - they all went nuts and wanted pics with him - it's star wars that's all the people are thinking at the time if they are true fans otherwise they will point and snicker no matter what and size will be just one of the negative comments about the GEEKS in costume. I would love to add to my collection more screen accurate versions for display or reference but I am also happy with the ones I have acquired over the years that are close enough for trooping just to make some kids happy locally at a hospital.

Last edited:
Well there are levels. First off, beards and glasses are a definite no no. If you don't have a helmet, your face is part of the costume. These are easy fixes. If you don't wanna make the effort of shaving your beard, then go as a bearded guy or with a mask. I personally find any Darth Mauls who don't have red/yellow contacts disappointing. I always think when making Halloween costumes, "who do I like, and who can I pull off?"

Now that being said, if you're fat and you wanna go as vader to a convention, do it, but make a joke out of it. The response on the first page was briliant: LARD Vader!!! Haha. If you hang a sign on your neck you get people laughing with you not at you. And the point is to have fun and make others have fun. I don't think that guy was delusional. He knows he's fat just like body builder gal knows she isn't Carrie. If your gonna go a costume that doesn't fit you, play up the irony!

As far as race, if you live in japan, sure, be captain america. No one will notice. But if your a white guy dressing as Green lantern John stewart, expect to be called Hal Jordan even if your costume is completely accurate to JLU. Black Superman or White Blade is funny but make sure everyone knows you are in on the joke. You'll get more respect that way. (But really, if you are Obese--not just fat--for your health, please work on the body for an hour a day instead of spending five hours sewing. Plus, if you slim down, you'll have to buy less fabric).

Well there are levels. First off, beards and glasses are a definite no no. If you don't have a helmet, your face is part of the costume. These are easy fixes. If you don't wanna make the effort of shaving your beard, then go as a bearded guy or with a mask. I personally find any Darth Mauls who don't have red/yellow contacts disappointing. I always think when making Halloween costumes, "who do I like, and who can I pull off?"

Now that being said, if you're fat and you wanna go as vader to a convention, do it, but make a joke out of it. The response on the first page was briliant: LARD Vader!!! Haha. If you hang a sign on your neck you get people laughing with you not at you. And the point is to have fun and make others have fun. I don't think that guy was delusional. He knows he's fat just like body builder gal knows she isn't Carrie. If your gonna go a costume that doesn't fit you, play up the irony!

As far as race, if you live in japan, sure, be captain america. No one will notice. But if your a white guy dressing as Green lantern John stewart, expect to be called Hal Jordan even if your costume is completely accurate to JLU. Black Superman or White Blade is funny but make sure everyone knows you are in on the joke. You'll get more respect that way. (But really, if you are Obese--not just fat--for your health, please work on the body for an hour a day instead of spending five hours sewing. Plus, if you slim down, you'll have to buy less fabric).

I think the race issue is even more ridiculous than the already ridiculous body type issue. How many live action Bruce Waynes had black hair and blue eyes? Were they all of the same height and build? What's Catwoman's ethnicity and hair color: is she black with black hair, half-black with black hair, white with blonde hair, white with brown hair, or white with black hair? How can a 6'-something Aussie play a 5'3" Canadian? How many Greek--or even Greek-LOOKING--actors were in 300?

The movies pull this stuff all the time. Angelina Jolie played a black character for Wanted. There are even inconsistencies within a single franchise. If you're the spitting image of Terrence Howard you can never be a screen-accurate War Machine. If you look like a young Alec Guinness you can't be prequel Obi Wan. And mid-20s/early-30s Darth Vader apparently got taller with age and his armor grew with him.

If the movie people don't let the source-material limit them, why should you? Just have fun with it.

Last edited:
I know the anime costuming sites can be condescending to folks who don't match the body types which amuses me considering half the costumes are made of cardboard the night before the cons. I'm aiming to get a body type that fits but I'm going to enjoy costuming before I'm too old to be any characters. I'd hate to have to shave my goatee off but I will if I have to. Also my glasses are a must as I can't wear contacts.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back