Too big for Darth Vader?

I agree on the weight/height should match the character. Mark Hamill was about 5'6"-5'7" and I'm right in between there so I could play a Luke Skywalker TK if I ever wanted to finally get TK armor. Look at this guy King Leonidas Halloween Motivation - Sharenator.com
now thats dedication to playing the role just for a costume.

Anyone see news about the fat heroine movie coming out, Blubberella?

in regards to the bearded batman, that brings up another thing about "day of" Halloween costume buyers....

If you buy your costume - wash it! Nobody wears clothes straight off the rack, but they will unfold a bagged costume and put it on day of.

If it can't be washed, iron it. If it can't be ironed, pull it out of the sack and hang it up on a hanger a week before. It's clothes for goodness sake.

It's what I was reading above me "take pride in your appearance!" Why does a costume have to be any different than your normal clothes? People put on a costume and they loose all common sense.

Try your costume on early and hem those cuffs and pant legs. Decide if you need a belt, or make any adjustments that will help it look more like "you" and less like it just got unfolded out of a bag.

It's probably why more women win costume contests because they play dress up more often than men do.

I'm brand new to this site, but I've been around costuming for a few years and around fanatical nerds my whole life. I've seen people of all sizes and shapes play Vader and really who am I to tell them they shouldn't do that? I find it somewhat disconcerting that some of you are willing to bash someone because of their size....I'm sure you're the portrait of perfection. "Lard Vader" ......really? Good job demolishing someones confidence. Race shouldn't matter along with size. What is this the 1800's?

I have bigger friends who cosplay allllllll the time, they love it and have some of the best costumes I've seen. Last time I checked there wasn't a rule book on prop making and costuming...and if there is then I suggest we burn it.

I say we stop acting like bullies and support the bigger people out there.

For the new folk who resurrected this thread and wanted to chime in...welcome! Its cool to see all the differing opinions.:thumbsup

The reason for my little thread, was from a point of intellectual debate. You see, here at the RPF, members have spent countless hours dissecting costumes or props to make the closest replica possible. Exact methods, exact found parts, original sources of material. Thats the fun and is one of the basic flavors of this site.

So my question was does body type get a pass? I used 'Too Big for Vader' as a generic title. Little did I know that there would be a Large Vader pic soon to follow. I could have titled the thread 'Too tall for a Jawa?' Im sure there would have been a pic of a 6 foot Jawa. Get the pattern?

I had the opportunity to attend a Manga/Anime convention last month in St. Augustine last month by accident. It was cool watching every one having fun in their respective costumes. My only observation was that most of the costumes looked like they were store bought from one of the shops in Akihabara. But if thats the norm / culture of the Cosplay scene, GREAT! Who am I to judge another's hobby?

So the question was a legitimate one. Do we here at the RPF spend hours and hours, thousands and thousands of dollars, perfect construction techniques, only to overlook the basic frame to which the costume is to be hung on? No hatred was thinly veiled. Tubachrisxs Vader is a perfect example. The Rubies Vader is not considered screen accurate. But due to his build, it looks eye correct. Excellent as a matter of fact.

Im not going to speak for everyone here, but as a whole we generally strive for perfection in our props and costumes. From what I observed at the Manga/Anime convention last month, it appears they focus more on the social aspect of costuming. Just different cultures. Did I sit back and rip on them? No way! I grabbed a beer, bought some Ubrella Corp. stuff from vendors and crashed the rave for a few minutes. So dont be put off with some of the responses here. Take the good, ignore the bad and contribute what you can.

It's their time and their money, let them do what they please. Whether or not they look stupid is beside the point. If a guy/girl is too fat, they probably know it, and just may not have shame. Rather than "boo" them for their appearance, applaud them for having more courage than you. If I was big guy I wouldn't dress up in spandex, yet some people do it.

Yes, costuming is somewhat of an art form. More people take pride in their work than others. When I was serious about costuming I wanted to be the best at what I did. It really is all a matter of choice, so no matter how stupid one looks to you, they honestly probably don't care. Some people are open to suggestions, others aren't. If they want to take shortcuts and make a crappy product, then let them. They will probably look back upon it like a yearbook and say "Why did I do this?"

I agree also that people should take pride in their costumes. If they do, and they still look bad, oh well. Nothing anyone can do about it. Same with people's appearances outside of costuming, some people just don't care.

I'm brand new to this site, but I've been around costuming for a few years and around fanatical nerds my whole life. I've seen people of all sizes and shapes play Vader and really who am I to tell them they shouldn't do that? I find it somewhat disconcerting that some of you are willing to bash someone because of their size....I'm sure you're the portrait of perfection. "Lard Vader" ......really? Good job demolishing someones confidence. Race shouldn't matter along with size. What is this the 1800's?

I have bigger friends who cosplay allllllll the time, they love it and have some of the best costumes I've seen. Last time I checked there wasn't a rule book on prop making and costuming...and if there is then I suggest we burn it.

I say we stop acting like bullies and support the bigger people out there.

There is a disconnect here. This isn't a debate if fat people can be vaders and what not. It's about the level of passion for the hobby. There are people on this forum who carry the eye of an artist. An artist by nature is a perfectionist for their work. That is why, they are never fully content with their own work, while other others might gasp with envy. Their aim isn't is just fun, or to fullfill a fantasy. It's the challenge of making an idea into reality. Deep right? Well that is how some of us feel. It's about the full execution of it.

I am one of those people. So to see someone not execute something that doesn't work, doesn't impress me. Kudos to the effort, but you dont look like the real thing. Isn't this why we all spend time to get to that point?Why spend thousands if you will end up looking funny. And yes a fat vader is funny. Don't sugar coat this, don't give me the Ghandi speech. It's funny, because it's funny looking. Just like a midget Hulk is funny looking. But doesn't mean fat people or midgets are funny. I hope you get what I am saying here. I don't agree with making fun of anybody, but at this calibre, it's about being good at what you do.

Can we lock this thread or something? This is getting painful to read now. I am 5'6" and I love Darth Vader, I have a very athletic build, and I have no doubt if I was a foot taller, I'd have the perfect body for Vader.

This halloween when I went out to a costume party, most people praised my costume, though I did get the "Short Vader" remark from a stranger, because even with shoes, height insoles, and a helmet, I was only maybe 5' 11" and I didn't care, I knew I was too short for Vader, I knew someone might say something, but I really enjoy Vader. Now I would never troop as Vader, but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

Those "fat vader" costumes, did not look like they were but together sloppy, and if we saw the costumes not being worn, we might praise them for a handsome looking costume, but because they are "too fat" we criticize them. We are all entitled to our opinions, and if you love costuming, do it! But people will continue to judge us, with or without a costume

im an average guy and have been thinking about doing a deadpool coustume so...like any other coustume you work on you start out somewhere so for deadpool im starting out at the gym! lol im using it as my motivtion to get back into shape, on the other hand my brother is a bigger guy( he played center on the football team) and so he is thinking about doing a hulkbuster ironman which would fit his body type better. but in the end if you wanna coustume it up and it make s you happy who cares.

did you see the male costume contest winner? if there wasnt anything shady going on here(which there is NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THERE WAS), you would learn that pretty much ANYTHING goes here.

as for

fun for me, IS GETTING IT RIGHT. its not just that, its the journey getting there, with countless hours of research and fabrication to get that character ive toiled over for so long ive fallen completely in love with. my comedian costume would be a great example of months of research, and often redoing the same piece until i got it right or damn near close enough. seeing someone doing that same character in a terrible way is like they are throwing feces at all of my hard work.

another thing i want to throw into the "appearance" fire, is usually when someone leaves their beard on, or is over weight, their costume appears just as lazy and sloppy as they do.

case in point from another website i frequent with the exact quote:

look how awful that costume looks. it looks just as lazy as he was when he decided to shrug his shoulders and say he was too lazy to shave. LOL! GREAT JOB AT LOOKING LIKE YOU TAKE NO PRIDE IN YOUR APPEARANCE! here's an idea, if you dont want to commit to the character you're going to dress like, dont bother!

i work very hard on my props and my costumes. i often get my picture taken with people when i wear them, if a costume looks like its thrown together and they didnt make any effort i politely decline taking a picture with them. its not elitist, its not snobbery, its pride in my own work.

Pretty cowardly to criticize someone behind their back. Reminds me of jr. High. If someone wants to play costume then more power to them. I really don't think you have any room to talk. The best you have done is copy someone elses costumes and ideas, not really an achievement.

Screen accuracy is well and good but blanket statements about size and weight are a whole 'nother kettle...
I've seen costumers go above and beyond to replicate show outfits but been seen as somehow 'lesser' than someone who spent less time and money on their costume, just because they don't look like the actor who portrayed the character.
I'm a 5'5, 130 lb Caucasian female. The majority of shows and movies I enjoy feature mostly male characters. Does this stop me from dressing in modified versions of their costumes? Nope.
If someone like the guy in the original example can have fun and take time making their costume, can't we just say 'Nice job, great costume' instead of 'Hey Fatty, you're too big to be Darth Vader'
If you are dedicated to screen accuracy and only dressing as characters that fit your body type, that's fine for *you* but why put your restrictions onto someone who clearly doesn't have the same ones as you? Just because you are defined by screen accuracy, doesn't mean everyone else is

Last edited:
Wow, I figured new members would not blanket hate the whole board because of the words of a very small minority...one of which has been banned.

See, the RPF is a big old melting pot of personalities. Some are tolerant, some are not. It's just like out in the world. Not everyone here will look down on someone for costuming. Not even 1/3rd of the membership will. Do some members? Oh hell yes. Hell, we are all striving for screen accuracy in our replica props and have some pretty heated words over them. It doesn't mean no one gets along with anyone else.

Don't judge the whole of us by the actions of a few. Don't judge the RPF until you really get into it. Welcome to the RPF. :)

Wow, I figured new members would not blanket hate the whole board because of the words of a very small minority...one of which has been banned.

Don't judge the whole of us by the actions of a few. Don't judge the RPF until you really get into it. Welcome to the RPF. :)

My apologies to you and the RPF, Qui-Gonzalez. I really should work on thinking before I type or else I make mistakes and make sweeping blanket statements, exactly like the kind I'm criticizing.

Weight and body type is a sensitive button topic for me but I still shouldn't let that **** me off to the point where I wind up accusing everyone of views upheld by a select few.

I think art is best in it's purest unaltered original medium. The ANH Vader looks best with all it's flaws, no lights on the chest, and non-symentrical helmet. I have seen people painting a ANH vader costumes with professional automotive paint instead of brushing, this really takes away from the piece. The best stormtrooper costumes i have seen are the ones that reflect what you see in the movies, not high polished ABS with perfect symentrical armor, helmet, etc. It seems a lot of poeple want to do things better than what we saw in the movie, in the case of prop replicas over acheiving is just as bad as under acheiving.
hopefully i didn't offened anyone, i wasn't trying to.

Last edited:
I think people need to understand that no one is dissing people because of their weight.

This thread was started to gauge peoples oppinions on how much size mattered for certain characters.

I would NEVER and HAVE NEVER made fun of some one who was a bit overweight. (God knows I'm not in "shape" either!)

But if you are 400 pounds and 4ft tall trying to pull off Vader? You WILL get made fun of. Period. Wouldn't you rather know that going in?

All I know is if and when I build my 1:1 Vader... it will be PROWSE-sized not KEN-sized. (I'm 5'9)

And while I haven't seen a girl get dissed for wearing guys costume (like, EVER!)

I HAVE however seen PLENTY of guys get made fun of for wearing sailor moon outfits and the like!

You know why?

Cause it IS funny!

Most are done as a joke like the slave leia guy from this years comicon. So they want the laughs. (which I think is pure awesome!)

Besides if anyone is ever laughing at you just walk over and say this as dead serious as possible... "You are at a convention, guess your a nerd too huh?" I would say someone who would make fun of others has a fragile enough ego that saying something like that would probably be worse than anything they could say to you!

It is tough question...as political correctness says you must allow anyone to do what ever costume they want, regardless of how bad they may look in it. Its up to them to decide how they look...andi say yeah, cool. go for it.
example...japanese people are in general not very tall...but theyre 501st garrison has Vaders who are under 6 foot because thats just how it is there.

but then i look at some people in some costumes and think to myself -
'spandex is a priviledge, not a right'... something i work to myself...i will not wear certain costumes i have already made because of my shape right now...i know i will not look good in them until ive lost the weight to do them again. I dont want to look like an overstuffed sausage!

Its the same with height..there are character's id love to do, but i know id not look right as im too damn short!

I HAVE however seen PLENTY of guys get made fun of for wearing sailor moon outfits and the like!

You know why?

Cause it IS funny!

Most are done as a joke like the slave leia guy from this years comicon. So they want the laughs. (which I think is pure awesome!)

Besides if anyone is ever laughing at you just walk over and say this as dead serious as possible... "You are at a convention, guess your a nerd too huh?" I would say someone who would make fun of others has a fragile enough ego that saying something like that would probably be worse than anything they could say to you!

See this I agree with. I managed to talk one of my guy friends into dressing up at TDK Nurse Joker for Halloween two years back, despite the fact that he's 6'5 and built like a linebacker. He got hit on a lot during the night by drunk guys who thought he was a girl from the back and he enjoyed screwing with them.

If you know you don't fit the body type for a character and can walk into it thinking 'I'm not the right fit and some people might think it's funny but I still like my costume' then more power to you. I just find it irksome when other people think that they can start openly criticizing someone for taking risks they won't, because they believe they don't have the right body type for a character

Last edited:
Well I started reading the thread and now just jumped to the end to add my tuppance worth,,, I am a big guy, and I know most costumes look wrong on me so I havn't done them, I have got one or 2 I know I probably shouldn't really wear like my Jedi but I do anyway.

Basically I'm all for trying to wear something that suits your bodytype, for example I'd love to a clone trooper, but I'd end up loong more like Barf from spaceballs :lol:,,, so I havn't done it. I do however feel I do a really good Silent Bob, I got the gut, the beard and the hair,, so it works for me.

But if someone wants to do a costume and spend there money even if it's not going to suit there bodytype then that's there call, as long as there willing to accept the public can be harsh and except that then off you go,, but I do prefer it if people try to fit the charecter ;)

All in all have fun play dress up if you dare whatever your shape/size/sex etc etc.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back