Starfighter Game Cabinet

starfighter66

I have been working on another wood project and decided to start on this one as well since I had the tools out. the cabinet will sport the playable starfighter game, run mame, run linux and be the media hub for my home. the controlls will be happ controls.

100_0523.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0521.jpg

starfightermovie03.jpg

starplate.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!

Second time I've seen someone tackle this.

The first guy I saw went so far as to duplicate THE GAME that was in the movie complete with sound effects he got from people who worked on the movie!

He used to have a demo version of the game for download. Windows-only, though.

Not sure if you're using any of his files, though, or brewed your own...

I will be using the game from www.roguesynapse.com for the starfighter end and MAME for the other games. the system will also double as a multimedia hub and storage. the controls will be close to the movie version but modified to be able to play MAME.

I will be using the game from www.roguesynapse.com for the starfighter end and MAME for the other games. the system will also double as a multimedia hub and storage. the controls will be close to the movie version but modified to be able to play MAME.

I installed that game but all I get is a black and white grid on the screen. Has anyone else tried the game and had this happen? Is it made to run in Windows?

I installed that game but all I get is a black and white grid on the screen. Has anyone else tried the game and had this happen? Is it made to run in Windows?

I have had no problem running it on windows 2000, xp and vista. Have not tried it under linux using WINE though.

RogueSynapse may be the guy I saw making the previous try at a Starfighter Cabinet. That's almost definitely the game I played several years back on Windows XP.

I also have to say that RS must have one heck of an electrical billl with all those vintage videogame cabinets! It's a great collection (the guy has Discs of Tron and Star Wars!) but it must use an awful lot of electrical power I'm sure...!

Awesome sir!! Simply awesome- Let me know if you anything at all. I think the schematics and art (including your contribution) are on the site but if not, let me know. Keeping a low profile as of late but definitely not off the board.

eaviii

doc@roguesynapse.com

Just curious if you've progressed any further. Looking to (finally) start my own cabinet this summer. Of course, I've been saying that for the last 3 summers... :)

Russ

I am just waiting for the warm weather to finish the cabinet, though as far as the play field, it will be mame friendly and differ from the movie version.

My Starfighter Cabinet project moved along nicely till I had to set it aside for other work here in the shop. I will be back on it in a couple months I hope.

I had intended to offer kits, but at the moment this seems unrealistic as the actual build is very complicated and kitting it even more so. A lot of the pieces really are fitted together as you go. IE, sand and fit sand and fit.

Even though I'm lucky to have Doc's original cabinet here to help out, it's still quite difficult. Without the cabinet, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to build it from the plans on Doc's site, nice as they are, I wasn't able to resolve piece cuts from them well enough to use for the main control surfaces.

In the photo below you can see his cabinet and mine in process.

One thing I have done is created the side cabinet graphics and had them printed on the material used to wrap cars, so very nice material. If anybody needs such a thing contact me.

I haven't done the marquee or front cabinet graphics yet, but will as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is there is a discrpancy in the site drawings on the main side panels. Definitely use the pdf drawing as it has the correct side panels.

I have a lot of photos of Doc's cabinet and can take more if anybody wants to see more details.

starfighters.jpg

Coming along nicely.. Still hanging for " The Son of the Last Starfighter," though haven't heard anything for a while about it.. Would be great to see the arcade back in it..

Even though I'm lucky to have Doc's original cabinet here to help out, it's still quite difficult.
Without the cabinet, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to build it from the plans
on Doc's site, nice as they are, I wasn't able to resolve piece cuts from them well enough to
use for the main control surfaces.

I'm curious about this as well. Do you have any better pics of the control panel areas?

One thing I have done is created the side cabinet graphics and had them printed on the
material used to wrap cars, so very nice material. If anybody needs such a thing contact me.

Are you talking self adhesive vinyl, or something else?

I have a lot of photos of Doc's cabinet and can take more if anybody wants to see more details.

The light up "control panel" under the monitor, is that a seperate piece, or is it integrated into the monitor bezel area/trim?

Starfighter66 has his as a seperate piece from the bezel. In retrospect, it looks like it might be easier to make
the drilled out lighting area as a single panel, and just add the octagonal detail element onto the top.

Looks great to me!

Russ

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back