Starfighter Game Cabinet

You could cut one apart, hollow it out and remold it I think.

Have you guys IDed the fire buttons themselves?
They stick out quite a way on the movie cabinet, much farther than any arcade joystick I've seen/used.

Rebelscum said:
I ordered the switch to see how it looks and if we can possibly make a new top,
using the momentary parts inside.

I thought about that as well. I wonder if you can disassemble one of the "correct" style switches and get the parts
to work with the momentary contact version.

Russ

Have you guys IDed the fire buttons themselves?
They stick out quite a way on the movie cabinet, much farther than any arcade joystick I've seen/used.
Russ

There were only fake buttons. I'll get a photo of them, but the controller has a simple hole drilled in it, and a machined aluminum button with 1" long shaft has on the end of it four round pieces of double stick black foam, which made it possible to appear as if the button was depressed and popping back up.

Last edited:
There were only fake buttons. I'll get a photo of them, but the controller has a simple hole drilled in it, and a machined aluminum button with 1" long shaft has on the end of it four round pieces of double stick black foam, when made it possible to appear as if the button was depressed and popping back up.

:lol Garage ingenuity at it's finest! Do you have any good pictures of the "original" control sticks themselves?

Russ

Here are the controls. Made from 3/4" MDF.

Buttons are machined aluminum.

starfighter-grips.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how they EVER thought that the flight stick would be useable. Stylish, sure. Realistic... mmm... yeah... ;)

Thanks for the pics!

Russ

I don't know how they EVER thought that the flight stick would be useable. Stylish, sure. Realistic... mmm... yeah... ;)

Thanks for the pics!

Russ

Yeah, that pistol grip looks to be a piece of the cabinet trim that was roughed out on a band saw, filed on the edges and slapped on the cabinet. Nothing more than that. Even less effort in the t-grip.

I have cast the pistol grip in black urethane, which makes a much nicer piece.

Philip, have you had any luck with the updated plans?

Thanks,

Russ

I did quite a bit of work on the drawings, though they aren't finished yet. It turned out to be pretty difficult to nail the screen area stuff as a dimensioned drawing. I haven't had time to work on it in several weeks though.

i have want one of they arcade machine since i was a kid.
thank you all for the game link wish it worked on win7 :(

Any progress?

In the meantime I've gotten my Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom cabinet, plus my Atari Tempest
up and running, and I'm on my way to refurbing my Williams Robotron 2084 that's been sitting in the
garage since... oh... 2005. :)

Thanks,

Russ

Hi, I came across this thread after looking for info on making a Last Starfighter game cab. I have three sheets of 8x4 marine ply I was going to use for a bouldering wall but after a back injury last year - and meeting Lace Guest in London!! - I decided I'd try and capture my youth instead. I was about to start marking out the cabinet sides - using the Rogue Synapse specs but I see talk about 3 inches missing. Please can you tell me if I just add 3 inches to the bottom of the sides? Kind regards. Steve

Awesome! Apparently you didn't waste your summer like I did. Planned on starting this year (as every summer for the last 6 years) and haven't gotten to it yet. :)
Looking forward to seeing updates!

Did you modify the blueprints at all?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back