Cones, big cones, where can I find some?

dropshipbob

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm prepared for the jokes.:lol

I'm looking for cones, or maybe even funnels (already tried a search, didn't come up with anything I could use).

It's a pretty odd size. About 3 feet long with one opening about 4 inches wide and the other end being about 1 inch wide (or simply pointed).

Does such a thing exist?

cone.jpg

Does this need to be made of any certain material? Will anything do? Posterboard? Mylar?

It seems pretty easy to make one by rolling up a 3' X 12" piece of sheet-stock.

I'm prepared for the jokes.:lol

I'm looking for cones, or maybe even funnels (already tried a search, didn't come up with anything I could use).

It's a pretty odd size. About 3 feet long with one opening about 4 inches wide and the other end being about 1 inch wide (or simply pointed).

Does such a thing exist?

Check the autoparts store. We used to carry transmission funnels. They're very long, narrow funnels (about the dimensions you noted) used for filling the tranny cases (the fill ports tend to be at the bottom of the case).

-Fred

Granted, I haven't worked in the biz in over 8 years, but I can't imagine that much has changed

Always at least one wiseacre.:lol

To be more specific Clonesix, yes, it should be made of some sort of plastic. I thought about making cones out of styrene, but it wouldn't hold up (probably).

And to quell the couriosity, I need these to recreate a prop from DUNE.

Always at least one wiseacre.:lol

To be more specific Clonesix, yes, it should be made of some sort of plastic. I thought about making cones out of styrene, but it wouldn't hold up (probably).

And to quell the couriosity, I need these to recreate a prop from DUNE.

Anything to do with the "Harvester" ?:rolleyes

3' x 4" x 1" huh? Hmm, Off the top of my head, you might try florists and craft places. That's pretty big, (long anyway) but they might have something that tall in styrofoam you could build on. How smooth does it need to be? Is it something you'd want to use as-is, or will you be putting clay/ bondo over it?

-Sarge

I ran across those last night while doing a search. Those would be perfect, but they don't have one in the length I need.

Check the autoparts store. We used to carry transmission funnels. They're very long, narrow funnels (about the dimensions you noted) used for filling the tranny cases (the fill ports tend to be at the bottom of the case).
Do you have any info (brand name, part name, etc) that one could search for?

I know a guy who wants to build a SW-ROTJ speeder-bike, and there are long narrow funnels like this in the front.

I know a guy who wants to build a SW-ROTJ speeder-bike, and there are long narrow funnels like this in the front.

Sorry, Lars. I've been out of the biz for over 8 years now. At my age, I'm lucky I remeber the name of the stores I worked in :lol.

-Fred

Nope, I have zero info presently. I was hoping someone could drop a name, company or a certain object that I could use. I found a company on-line that makes custom cones, but I just know that won't be cheap. I'm hoping I'll stumble across a found object that will fit the bill.

Nope, I have zero info presently. I was hoping someone could drop a name, company or a certain object that I could use. I found a company on-line that makes custom cones, but I just know that won't be cheap. I'm hoping I'll stumble across a found object that will fit the bill.

Couldn't you find someone to lathe them out of wood or plastic fairly inexpensively?

They sound relatively simple and *may* (I really don't know) been how the originals were done.

I had thought of that too, and I just happen to have a father in law who is a wood worker.

The problem is that part of the cone will have to be cut in half vertically, and these are big objects.
I just can't think of a way to cut them in half safely, it's such a strange shape that most bandsaws won't handle easily.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back