John Carpenter doesn't like Rob Zombie's Halloween...

Is your son playing with your computer again?

Magic 8 ball answers your question: All signs point to NO:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/halloween

"Critics Consensus: Rob Zombie doesn't bring many new ideas"

This is in arguably incorrect.

Like it or not, credible or not, the additional 20-30 minutes of prologue DOES bring "many new ides". A bullet-point list can be provided, but I know that you know this already.

Do you like the new ideas?

Do the new ideas make it a better film?

Personal opinion...

For me, it (the prologue) does. It provides depth, intelligence, and meaning. JC didn't like it for the same reasons. My understanding is that he felt it took away from the mystique of the character. For me, the foundations of the psychosis added a gritty realism, making it more accessible, if you will. More plausible. Thus, more horrific.

Providing insight to a character's background CAN deflate the character (Jango Fett - Boba Fett).

For me, for this character, Zombie's story-telling works...

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpenter explained in that video, horror films are of their time and for audiences of the time. OP, you perhaps think Zombie’s film is better, good for you. But that’s not the case for others. Us folks who were the cinema going genre fans appreciated Carpenter’s lean film. Zombie’s film seems to layer on more and more back story and gore. If that floats your boat, great. Doesn’t make it “better.”

Watched Carpenters Halloween recently and thought it was pretty boring and just overall a bad movie. Enjoyed the hell out of Zombie's first Halloween movie though.

I can sum up the main problem with both John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) and Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) in two words: Laurie Strode.

Both films use Strode as the primary female character/hero, and follow her rather extensively. Now, if the audience is going to have to watch a single character throughout the majority of a movie you'd better make that character not only interesting enough to want to watch, but likeable as well. That way, when the villain shows up the audience has someone to root for. The problems are that Carpenter's Strode is one of the most boring characters in the history of cinema so no one really cares if Michael kills her, and Zombie's Strode is so annoying that everyone wants him to kill her.

After watching alot of the Halloween sequels this past week I tend to agree with Carpenter regarding the character's mystique. The more backstory and lore he had the less scary he became for me.

BINGO! Sometimes leaving the backstory to the imagination of the audience is FAR more scary!

- - - Updated - - -

I can sum up the main problem with both John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) and Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) in two words: Laurie Strode.... and Zombie's Strode is so annoying that everyone wants him to kill her.

LOL I couldn't agree more!

After watching alot of the Halloween sequels this past week I tend to agree with Carpenter regarding the character's mystique. The more backstory and lore he had the less scary he became for me.

Just my opinion but this is it, completely for me. Zombie's movie humanized the killer. That's okay if that's what you're into. Carpenter's was a very different movie. "The Shape" was hinted to possibly having a supernatural quality. THAT'S the movie I wanted to see. You simply could not stop him weather you try to hurt or kill him, you don't hear a peep out of him and he keeps coming at you no matter WHAT you throw at him. It leaves you wondering what has happened over the years to transform a human boy into a powerful, unfeeling, soulless, relentless monster.

Zombie's movie gave me a demented dude in a mask.

Rob Zombie... should be NEVER be allowed to make any movies. He sucks. His version of Halloween took all the was good about the original and turned it inside out. He's like the Shane Black of Predator movies.

The first one, while not on par with the original was okay. It demystified Michael Myers, which really didn't do any any good for the character, but it wasn't horrible. The second one, on the other hand? I remember thinking, during one of the more brutal killings (a beating that just seemed to go on an on) "Is this really necessary?" I don't know about his other two subsequent films, but "The Devil's Rejects" was pretty good.

I'll catch it for this I'm sure, and maybe it's because I waited until 2018 to watch the original Halloween, but to me it's Rifftrax MST3K material. It was boring and Laurie was stupid. I used to get a creepy feeling when I'd hear the Halloween music, but now I think -sings- Boring bah boring bah boring ...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back