John Wick- 5

I'd love to see a prequel about how John became who he is today, of course Reeves is too old, but a prequel from when he was young and his journey to the first film would be cool.

I would be strongly considering that if I was controlling the franchise. Reeves is in good enough shape that his current middle-aged body would not pose a problem (like with DeNiro in 'The Irishman'). He has defined facial features. There is a big file of old reference footage to draw from. He seems like an ideal candidate to be de-aged for a whole movie.

A couple years ago they de-aged PeeWee Herman for a whole movie. They did it to Sam Jackson. It's not that crazy of an idea. Especially if they don't try to spend the whole movie too far back. They could write the first act when he's pretty young and then jump forward to finish the movie just a few years before the first JW movie.

Please, no more de-aging. If they do a prequel, they should just find another actor. Though... I really do not want a prequel. It is not necessary.

Then they might as well introduce time travel and eventually reveal that above the one above the table is John Wick from the future, gone back in time to set up the table.

Please, no more de-aging. If they do a prequel, they should just find another actor. Though... I really do not want a prequel. It is not necessary.

Then they might as well introduce time travel and eventually reveal that above the one above the table is John Wick from the future, gone back in time to set up the table.

Every movie you watch has tons of CGI de-aging these days. 60yo Tom Cruise doesn't always look 45yo in the raw footage. I'm sure Keanu's face has already been touched-up in hundred of shots throughout the existing JW movies. It's only a matter of degree.

Doing a whole movie with Keanu's face pushed back to the 'Matrix' era . . . it's a moderate job by industry standards. We aren't talking about casting a body double to play the role and fabricating a whole new CGI face on him like with Harrison in Indy#5.

I'm not really chomping at the bit for a de-aged JW prequel, either. But the franchise is a cash cow and they don't seem willing to let it rest. The sequels have gone off into La-La-Land. A prequel would be a chance for them to dial the tone back. Make it a bit more grounded.

Here's another way to look at it:
The de-aged JW prequel is going to happen. Do you want them to do it now, with Keanu around 60 and still in good shape? Or should they wait another 5-10 years, exhausting every sequel idea that ChatGP can come up with, and then try it when Keanu is up near 70?

Every movie you watch has tons of CGI de-aging these days. 60yo Tom Cruise doesn't always look 45yo in the raw footage. I'm sure Keanu's face has already been touched-up in hundred of shots throughout the existing JW movies. It's only a matter of degree.

Doing a whole movie with Keanu's face pushed back to the 'Matrix' era . . . it's a moderate job by industry standards. We aren't talking about casting a body double to play the role and fabricating a whole new CGI face on him like with Harrison in Indy#5.

I'm not really chomping at the bit for a de-aged JW prequel, either. But the franchise is a cash cow and they don't seem willing to let it rest. The sequels have gone off into La-La-Land. A prequel would be a chance for them to dial the tone back. Make it a bit more grounded.

Here's another way to look at it:
The de-aged JW prequel is going to happen. Do you want them to do it now, with Keanu around 60 and still in good shape? Or should they wait another 5-10 years, exhausting every sequel idea that ChatGP can come up with, and then try it when Keanu is up near 70?
But it is a known fact that Keanu is against this type of thing and has it in every contract.

But it is a known fact that Keanu is against this type of thing and has it in every contract.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

I still think he probably gets CGI cosmetic touch-ups. It has been industry standard for 15-20 years already. It's as normal as putting makeup on the actors' faces.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

I still think he probably gets CGI cosmetic touch-ups. It has been industry standard for 15-20 years already. It's as normal as putting makeup on the actors' faces.
Sure, for touch ups, like taking out shine from light glaring off sweat. Or digitally removing a blemish or something like that. But, that is much more different than de-aging someone through computer graphics. I think that is what his contract clause is protecting him from.

What's the difference between de-aging Keanu digitally versus doing it with hair & makeup? On prinicple there isn't one. He's an actor playing roles. He could choose to play a younger role and CGI de-aging is part of the toolbox of methods they use for that.

I'm not saying he has no choice, I'm saying he could choose to do it.

Whether they alter Keanu's acting decisions, adding tears or changing the direction of his eyes or whatever . . . that's a different thing. IIRC George Lucas once changed Jake Lloyd's eye direction in a shot during 'Phantom Menace' and it had nothing to do with de-aging. That seems more like what Keanu is objecting to. I doubt he objects when he goes to the set in the morning and the hair & makeup people spend 20 minutes working over his face to make it look flattering (read: younger).

What's the difference between de-aging Keanu digitally versus doing it with hair & makeup? On prinicple there isn't one. He's an actor playing roles. He could choose to play a younger role and CGI de-aging is part of the toolbox of methods they use for that.

I'm not saying he has no choice, I'm saying he could choose to do it.

Whether they alter Keanu's acting decisions, adding tears or changing the direction of his eyes or whatever . . . that's a different thing. IIRC George Lucas once changed Jake Lloyd's eye direction in a shot during 'Phantom Menace' and it had nothing to do with de-aging. That seems more like what Keanu is objecting to. I doubt he objects when he goes to the set in the morning and the hair & makeup people spend 20 minutes working over his face to make it look flattering (read: younger).
I’m not debating or arguing that he may allow it down the road, I’m just stating what I’ve read this far about his views. Could they change? Absolutely.

A few quotes from an articles…

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

Last edited:
I watched John Wick 4, to be honest this goes even deeper in the fantasy land of violence and unbelievable things. The "armor" suit John uses is better than Robocop combined with Iron Man armor. And a certain character definitely has the Force on his side... :rolleyes:

I’m not debating or arguing that he may allow it down the road, I’m just stating what I’ve read this far about his views. Could they change? Absolutely.

A few quotes from an articles…

View attachment 1719532

View attachment 1719533

View attachment 1719534

So, I wonder when he started implemented it. I read that for Bill & Ted Face The Music, there was originally a scene that was going to involve the titular duo meeting up with Rufus on the night they first met him (we get a hint of it with a Wal-Mart commercial where they show a de-aged Bill circa 1989 with the recent Bill), but it was scrapped due to expenses.

Also, recently saw Part 4, and saw this reference to The Warriors (1979).

So, I wonder when he started implemented it. I read that for Bill & Ted Face The Music, there was originally a scene that was going to involve the titular duo meeting up with Rufus on the night they first met him (we get a hint of it with a Wal-Mart commercial where they show a de-aged Bill circa 1989 with the recent Bill), but it was scrapped due to expenses.

Also, recently saw Part 4, and saw this reference to The Warriors (1979).

I’m not sure. Maybe with the recent influx of AI usage and trend to de-age actors, he made a recent decision to have a clause added?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back