Ant Man and Wasp Helmet Paint?

Zaffelz

Good morning -
I am still in the sanding phase but I am getting close to putting some paint on 3D printed helmets. I am hoping to get any insight/experiences with replicating the paint scheme for these. I have located the excellent reference photos on here but no discussion of colors/paint. I appreciate any input.

Be excellent to each other -

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 231
So I LOVE these helmets but was intimidated by trying the chrome. I've gotten pretty good at Alclad, but after watching Antman 2 last night I finally paid attention that it's slightly glazed over. You cannot clear coat Alclad, even using Alclad clear kote it dulls it immediately.

BUT, I watched a tutorial on using varnish over alclad actually works, but hazes the chrome slightly, which is actually the best result from putting any coat on alclad.

It's a liquitex gloss varnish and the result is pretty much what I think you see on screen. Here is my Infinity Gauntlet that I used this method on. You can see on the Antman helmet, that it's not perfectly chrome, it has a slight haze to it. I am pretty sure they used this same method.
am.png8.jpg6.jpg

Painting these helmets is a bit of a pain, because both helmets actually get more worn as the movie goes on, especially Ant-Man's. When he first puts on the suit, it's practically brand new and shiny, but by the end scene in the lab, the muzzle of the helmet in particular has become very tarnished and grimy.

If you are not on a strict time crunch, I recommend allowing yourself some experimentation time. Get some different rattle cans and/or airbrush lacquers, and then see if you can find an even piece of scrap wood, or even purchase one from a store that sells lumber (many have scrap sections where you can get smaller pieces of wood for less than a dollar a piece). Prime the wood with a few coats, then mask off sections and try some different combinations to see what you like best. I did something similar with my Civil War Ant-Man helmet (link in sig) and learned a lot about what different things look like when applied, how different clear coats react to with the base paint, etc. On pieces like this, that already have significant time and money invested in them, a little research will usually save you a lot of headache.

For what it's worth, I settled on Krylon Premium Metallic Silver followed by Krylon Crystal Clear and liked what I got. If you go that route though, I strongly recommend applying the Crystal Clear as soon as the paint's allotted 15-30 minute drying time of the has expired, no handling or washing or anything.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back