Tamiya color for Aircraft question

Jimmer

I picked up a can of Tamiya Color For Aircraft Insignia White AS-20 and looked everywhere on the can and could not determine exactly what type of paint this is. I purchased it at a local hobby shop and the employee wasn't even sure.
I plan on using it as base-coat on a Bandai X-Wing. If anyone is familiar with this paint could you recommend a primer? And if anyone knows potential problems when weathering I would certainly appreciate it.
Lastly, if anyone thinks this color is a bad idea for the X-Wing I'd welcome the input.
Thanks much,
Jim

It's a solvent based acrylic and it's totally fine to use it on Bandai Kits. Most Millennium Falcon builds you'll find in this forum are made with this paint, because "AS-20 Insignia White" has been the go to paint for this ship for a long time. It's also a great color for any kind of rebel ship (including the X-Wing).

It isn't really necessary to use a primer with this kind of paint (since it's solvent based), but if you want to be safe, i'd recommend Tamiya's own primer. (Though, i've also never had issues with other primers)

You won't have any issues with weathering whatsoever. It's a tough paint.

Use Tamiya Thinner, X20a I think, with it.
I know it says acrylic and water should work.
But it just works better with their own thinner.

I spray AS-20 directly onto my Bandai X-wing kits all the time. It's a great base color for them.
I am doing the 1/72 build, so I think I'm gonna go your route and skip primer on this one. Most Bandai kits are priced reasonably enough that if a disaster ensues you aren't gonna break the bank, and Star Wars kits always open up the possibility for a crash diorama if things really go south..lol.
I did some tests on sprues with good results.
I assume acrylic sealants would work best.
Thanks again for the input, everybody.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back