Good quality beginner airbrush kit?

If noise is an issue, you can get a compressed air tank (one of those portable ones at some hardware stores meant to fill tires and go to about 120psi.). Outfit it with a desiccant air filter and regulator. Silent air and in the long run much cheaper than propellant cans. Unfortunately there are few gas stations you can go to to get free compressed air now (in my neck the woods, at least). Another problem is that they seem to run out of air at the worst time.
If noise isn't a concern, I picked up a small HDX compressor at Home Depot for cheap. It's loud, but if the tank is low the compressor automatically kicks in.

TazMan2000

I've been doing a fair bit of researching trying to find the right airbrush before I touch my PG Falcon. I currently have an Aldi Hobby Compressor and airbrush (just bought it for the compressor on clearance).

I looked at the NEO, can get one for a decent price but am concerned about the quality of the nozzle. Supposedly very easy to over tighten and ruin it.

I was tempted to get a Sparmax SP-35 as they are readily available including parts in local hobby stores at a decent price (~$90 AUD) and I've heard they perform well and are well built.

I really want one brush to rule them all though as I'm not sure how much use it's going to get (hence don't want to buy multiple airbrushes). So I'm looking for an airbrush where I can swap the nozzle/needle for multiple applications. Unfortunately, in Australia prices for anything like that are ridiculous, so I'll be importing and waiting for its arrival.

That now has it down to:
Paashe Talon TG3F
Import from USA, ~$160AUD
Pros
Good quality
Lots of options (three nozzle/needle sets 0.38, 0.25 & 0.66)
Replacement parts are well priced (even if I need to import them)
Cons
Badly packaged needles (examples of bent needles sent to reviewers which would be very expensive to rectify with international shipping)

Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1
Import from the UK, ~$150AUD
Pro

German made, supposedly very high quality
Supposed to be very good results (same needle/nozzle as much more expensive brushes)
Con
Very expensive replacement needles/nozzles (almost as much as a new airbrush)
Friction fit paint cups look pretty dodgy (might be able to tap it and use a cup from another manufacturer, but opening may be too small)
Paint Cups don't feature a lid, meaning I risk spillage

I'm leaning towards the H&S currently, but pretty worried I'll bugger up a needle at some point

Last edited:
You can adjust the needle with these and strip it completely for cleaning- though I find running thinners through it works well. Also, if you do bend the needle or break it-replacing it won't break the bank!
For storage, leave it sealed in a jar one third full of Tamiya acrylic thinners. Good to go everytime.

Buy the cheapest one you can find. Double or single it dost matter. Only clean it when you need to.
keep it in a bucket of water to stop it drying out and you will never have a problem with it.

And when it does stuff up throw it away and buy another cheap one.

Last edited:
I am not a expert and also only started airbrushing recently. I got this:
Master Airbrush Model G222 Dual-Action Airbrush Pro Set with ABD TC-20T Tank Compressor
The airbrush wasn't convincing- it is an Iwata clone.
So got the
Paasche TG-3F Double Action Gravity Feed Airbrush. Works brilliantly, You want an air tank and adjustable pressure valve.
Make sure you get the right adapters. All these airbrushes have different fittings to connect to the compressor.

Paasche H. Single action workhorse. You may nevet need another airbrush. Get a kit that comes with 1,3, and 5 tips and aircaps. You will be able then to spray fine to broad coverage, although you may nevet need anything other than the #3 tip....

Max Bryant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back