Building a Luke ANH Lightsaber

George L.

I'm pretty new at light saber construction. I currently have a full sized ANH styled R2-D2 unit operating and want a matching ANH Luke Lightsaber. I already have a MR FX model and on order the "collectible" version from MR.

o However, I've purchased a graflex 3 cell housing (actual one, I'm anal :cool)
o A parts kit off eBay to "complete" convert the graflex housing to a light saber. Hopefully it's a good copy and parts...

I'd like to add a sound module and get the brightest detachable blade I can find while at the same time keeping the saber itself as accurate as possible.

I have seen Hyperdyne's blades at CIV and are awesome... (that was my first con, had my just completed R2-D2 unit there running it around, had a blast with the fans!)

Any suggestions on where to start after I get the parts? What about the hilt "D" ring being right, buttons, etc. Any help or reference images would be appreciated! You could just point me to the right web site if any of you are fellow Luke ANH saber freaks!

Oh, I'm stuck on dialup :cry so I can't get big attachments!

Regards,

George "Chip" Luck
Central Florida
http//www.nolucksplace.com

Last edited:
Making the saber replica is pretty easy - there's tons of reference out there, and a million different people do them. Putting the sound and all that into a real Graflex is quite a step, though. Good luck.

Man, must just be posting into hyperspace... guess I'm on my own here!!!!

:cry

Thanks for nothin....

George...

---

WOW...you´re a fast shooter man :confused
Have you tried the fabulous searchfunction of the RPF?
There should be plenty of threads about the graflex based sabers.
Afaik there´s also some archived information about it.

In addition to that you should visit www.partsofsw.com
It shows the different variations of the Luke saber along with some helpful input.

You´re welcome..."for nothin´"

Markus

G'day mate, I recently built one myself. It's fun. Take it slow and don't rush.

Firstly make sure you polish your Mylar up well.
2nd Make sure you have the right amount of calc bubble on your strip -7
Lastly my suggestion is to purchase a spare end tube from someboby. I think possibly saberfreak was selling some cheap? Then when you drill the hole for your d ring you won't be destroying your original end tube.

BTW tap a thread for the screw for you bolt. It's just nicer.

Also a great tutorial is on "The Prop Zone," at this address:

http://thepropzone.jconserv.net/viewtopic.php?t=388

You may have to register but it's free.

PM me if I can help further matey:)

Regards
TAZ

PS You were a little quick on the trigger matey LOL ;)

i have a few rel graflexes and one has a blue luxeon with sound. learn more by going to thecustomsabershop.com.

its a place to get luxeon leds, parts ideas, you name it.

so...forgive the ignorance...can you retro a replica ROTJ Vader with a red blade and sound ect? That can be removed? Or should I just buy a luke ANH FX and convert it?

TAZ

Sorry guys about the one post... :wacko, guess I was just a little excited about getting this project started!

Thanks for all that replied, really appreciate it. Will take your words of wisdom and look around and gather all info I can get. Sure had to do that to build a R2 unit!

Again thanks gang, appreciate it! :)

Regards,

George "Chip" Luck

Have a little patience, Padawan.

There are many many threads in here about building a light saber. I didn't even look twice at this thread before because I have seen so many LS discussions.
Try to look in the archives (use the search feature) and you will find lots of helpful info! There is also a site called Parts of Star Wars that has a lot of it spelled out.
The Stuff from Jim Shima (Hyperdyne) is the best I've ever seen. I think that's all the info you need!
But agaiun, if you'd like to research it there is plenty here too!

Best of luck!

Sorry guys about the one post... :wacko, guess I was just a little excited about getting this project started!

Thanks for all that replied, really appreciate it. Will take your words of wisdom and look around and gather all info I can get. Sure had to do that to build a R2 unit!

Again thanks gang, appreciate it! :)

Regards,

George "Chip" Luck

You were one that got the initial shipment of the FX Luke ANH? I am still waiting on mine as shipments have been seriously delayed. There are a few places that offer this service. Another place to check out is http://www.fx-sabers.com
Very friendly and alot of info.

Thanks!

Greg

Whooo Hoooo....

Got my REAL Graflex hilt yesterday and received my LED/Grip/Tape kit today.

Graflex is in pretty darn good shape, has a few minor wear marks and a couple of light scratches, however I like weathered look :cool

I don't like the LED bubble layout, should be 7 right? Well this thing is 6 + one each cut-off on each end (almost 8 showing)... farg! Grip material seems right, but looks a little taller than my MR Luke ANH saber. Guess that will fly.

Only other problem is I don't like the included "D" ring, just does not seem right looking around at others either. (Eat another part!).

I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the proper "D" ring and LED bubble strip from another vendor(s) that I have found on the net. Your post are right, take your time and research the heck out of everything you order or get!

Regards,

George "Chip" Luck
Central Florida
http//www.nolucksplace.com[/quote]

so...forgive the ignorance...can you retro a replica ROTJ Vader with a red blade and sound ect? That can be removed? Or should I just buy a luke ANH FX and convert it?

TAZ
Taz, do you mean can you take a real graflex and put in a luxeon with sound board, and have a removeable blade? answer oh heck yes!! i have 2 of them i done already.

Since you already have the REAL Graflex, why not go the full 9 and get a real bubble lens strip from an old Exactra and some t-track from Saberfreak? Thats what I'm doing. Haven't picked up the d-ring yet.

IMG_5170.jpg

I got the same (incorrect) bubble strip from a vendor. His site showed the correct version, but he stated he was out of that type and hadn't updated his website. UGH! Ordered the correct part from Blast tech.

http://www.blast-tech.com/products_lensesBoards_LED-7.asp[/quote]

I saw that strip on the Blast Tech site, looked good. Yep, another order, or what is this about a and old Exatra? Do not know where to get that LED lens strip. T-track I assume is the rubber "T" material for the hilt? I guess I'll stick with what I have for that... I don't know Saberfreak or what he offers, yet... :rolleyes

Still have the luxeon kit from the Graflex Shop coming in. Damn nice response and service from them. Best I ever gotten from a on-line dealer, very quick with responses to your questions and very friendly to deal with.

We will see how THAT part of it goes. Again, no real big hurry... just always wanted a real Graflex saber almost as much as I did a R2 droid since I saw the original movie in 1977... 7 times in two weeks....

You think parts and research for a saber is hard, try building an R2 unit :cool, 2 years of just collecting parts, then paint, re-fit, darn door hinges, periscope kit came in, etc. I still would not trade if for the world.

Thanks again for all your input. Keep you updated...

Fellow saber freak and R2 Wrangler:

George "Chip" Luck
http://www.nolucksplace.com

I saw that strip on the Blast Tech site, looked good. Yep, another order, or what is this about a and old Exatra? Do not know where to get that LED lens strip. T-track I assume is the rubber "T" material for the hilt? I guess I'll stick with what I have for that... I don't know Saberfreak or what he offers, yet... :rolleyes

The "bubble strip" on the real prop came from an old Texas Instruments Exactra calculator. I found one on eBay, bought it and took it apart for the lens strip. Thats whats in my pic. Not a resin repro.

And the original grip material was plastic t track used on cabinets. Saberfreak, a member here, found some material thats about as close as you can get to the real deal. Thats also what is pictured in my previous post.

Personally, if I'm going to make a replica of the ANH saber, I want to use as many real parts as I can possibly acquire. Why stop at just the Graflex?

I stopped at the GRAFLEX 'cause I ran outta cash LOL

Lan- Yes, that's what I pondered. Wow! To your answer. Care to PM me some details buddy?

The bubble lens was my first mistake. For the same reasons to. Hasn't that guy updated yet? LOL

There was a German seller on Ebay who had the right d-ring BTW:)

Cheers
TAZ

Since you already have the REAL Graflex, why not go the full 9 and get a real bubble lens strip from an old Exactra and some t-track from Saberfreak? Thats what I'm doing. Haven't picked up the d-ring yet.

I'm looking for an Exactra right now...

As far a t-track, who/where is Saberfreak? I'm new to the boards, so I assume I can do a member search and email him.

George "Chip" Luck
http://www.nolucksplace.com

---

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back