Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

Well, the fail in logic comes in with the implication that the SW parks will increase attendance, long term, in a clear and noticeable way. I'm sure it will in the beginning, but it will become simply 'part of the park' in a year after opening if IX fails to deliver. Personally, i was flipping out when it was announced and my desire has gone down with nearly every update since on how it's going to be mainly ST stuff. I know not 100%, but pretty much the vast majority. Kids - whom the assumption is that why people will come - to bring their kids, doesn't really hold up because today's kids are not flipping out over this stuff the way we did in the 70's/80's or even the kids of the 90's with the prequels. That billion dollar box office is coming overwhelmingly from the established fan base. I'd say easily 80/20 or better. But...they're catering to the minority by focusing it the ST.

If you want to focus the parks on that aspect, that's their call. However, you better me making something that will bring in new fans in droves, and frankly, they aren't. I'm very interested in the numbers for 9 when it releases because damage has been done and as of now, there's not a compelling reason for 9. There's nothing that simply has to be resolved. No built in 'oh i gotta see it, i gotta know how it ends' to help sell tickets.

The FO is lame...long life the Empire!

Yes, its a massive risk to invest such large amounts in something that to all appearances seems to be on a downward slide. Such an investment would need to further increase interest in new people visiting even if the numbers are already massive.

And for those who care so much about factual and sound financial info here`s an article from a source that deals only in financial information and even contains concerns about the park situation.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/01/is-disneys-star-wars-universe-imploding.aspx

Last edited:
The OT characters & places are a previous generation's stuff just like Mickey Mouse and the Little Mermaid are. Disney isn't smart to favor the ST stuff so overwhelmingly at the parks.

The OT are old movies but OT park attractions would be just as fresh to the public as ST ones. Either way it's still a new attraction that ties into an existing movie. Have we not seen Tatooine in a while? Okay, but it's already been 3 more Star Wars movies since we saw Jakku. Staying "current" is an exhausting business.

Yes, its a massive risk to invest such large amounts in something that to all appearances seems to be on a downward slide. Such an investment would need to further increase interest in new people visiting even if the numbers are already massive.

And for those who care so much about factual and sound financial info here`s an article from a source that deals only in financial information and even contains concerns about the park situation.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/01/is-disneys-star-wars-universe-imploding.aspx

And that's the thing - the parks were concieved and announced well before they released a film a lot of fans didn't like and a good number hated. Even if you liked 8, you cannot deny the franchise has taken a big hit from it.

Sure, the Harry Potter park is still popular. Neither JK Rowling or WB or Universal has released content offending or trampling on the original characters. Star Tours has always been popular, but it was always before TLJ. I'm sure it's still popular, but if they offend again with 9, will it still hold up? I make it to one every 6-7 years at this rate. If i went and got a prequel or sequel segment, i'd be disappointed.

If you made three parks right now, one for each trilogy, do you really think there's any argument over which one would be most packed? And by a large margin? They're banking on the one that likely finishes 3rd. At least right now. Maybe 9 changes it, anything's possible. 9 could also make it so that it finished 4th in a 3 way race..We will see.

I've been to Disney World a few times. I loved all the areas frankly. But at least in this day an age, none of the areas were tied to an actual movie franchise exlcusively. SW should be more than big enough to fullfil this, I just question the overwhelming focus on the ST. The money is still in the OT crowd with the PT getting there. The OT crowd is largely who'll be taking their kids or grandkids to the park. And I don't see the ST resonating with anyone, including kids, to the point of supporting a whole park.

ZACTLY!

Assuming that the movies didn't cost any money to produce, advertise, etc.. Yeah, the raw numbers look great!

Figure in the actual cost to take it to market, pay everybody, advertise, and the percentage you get from ticket sales, the sheer drop off in sales once folks realized it was crap, the cost of making and distributing toys that you can't sell at 70% off, and suddenly, miraculously, the 4 Billion they spent to BuY Star Wars, let's you know that Disney spent a lot of money to destroy something.

But people who understand how to run a business don't seem to like TLJ and the crappy direction Disney has taken...go figure

it was stated before TFA, i believe, that they 'decided to alter the deal' with theaters and were taking a big cut. Even at 50%, that 1B off TFA, .5+ of TLJ, and nearly that off of R1. Whch was the point. I didn't forget about the theater cut and all that. They've reduced their advertising to letting their licensee's do it for them for the most part as well. So, while 2B being about 50% isn't the whol 4B...you've got all the licensing and DVD/BR sales, netflix etc, etc. If they haven't hit 4B all totaled yet, it's pretty close. You don't get to deduct the cost of the theme parks out of the net. That's a clear after the fact choice.

When the first call with investors post-sale was done, the timeline was run through and the projection was pretty accurate. The recoup of the 4.05 has already happened. The box office alone exceeds that now, and the full property value passed it a while back.

When the first call with investors post-sale was done, the timeline was run through and the projection was pretty accurate. The recoup of the 4.05 has already happened. The box office alone exceeds that now, and the full property value passed it a while back.

Then why alter their course? If everything is hunky dory we wouldn't be seeing all the damage control. I realize, alot of rymors get floated to see what will stick, but there wouldnt even be need for floating rumors if all was well.

What does recouping the purchase price have to do with performance and property reception/expectations?

If you spent $4b on something in 2012 and you have $4b back on it now, then you lost a lot. Inflation is significant after 6 years and that money could have been dumped into other money-making ventures.

The milking dry of the OT was the only sure bet Disney had in this thing and they have missed their chance to make as much out of it as possible by making poor to average movies and alienating large sections of the fan base instead of owning their own mistakes. After Ep Nein they will be going in to the unknown territory of whole new stories that arent hanging off the back of the OT that will be just as much of a gamble as any other films that are released. Unless they can catch lightening in a bottle with those new stories the days of racking in the mega cash just off the brand Star Wars are over.

The milking dry of the OT was the only sure bet Disney had in this thing and they have missed their chance to make as much out of it as possible by making poor to average movies and alienating large sections of the fan base instead of owning their own mistakes. After Ep Nein they will be going in to the unknown territory of whole new stories that arent hanging off the back of the OT that will be just as much of a gamble as any other films that are released. Unless they can catch lightening in a bottle with those new stories the days of racking in the mega cash just off the brand Star Wars are over.

I agree. Trying to set your new crew up by trashing the old is a sure sign you don't trust people will buy into them otherwise. GL said multiple times when asked about sequels that ROTJ was as far as his story went, a sequel would be 'well, what do i have luke do now?'. People would have flocked to see it though. A theoretical X, being 'what do we have Rey do now?' isn't something the fanbase is going to flock to. You've basically broken the connection to what came before and said you don't care. You can't really expect the people to follow.

People want to cite marvel and all, well, Marvel had decades of story built up already and have a definitive plan for movies. Part of the plan is staying faithful to what's come before in film and print. Doesn't mean the story stays identical from one medium to the other, but they stay faithful to characters and story. It's what keeps the fanbase engaged. That hasn't happened with star wars. Star wars has almost gone the DC route of 'how can we cash in' as opposed to how do we make something good?

If you spent $4b on something in 2012 and you have $4b back on it now, then you lost a lot. Inflation is significant after 6 years and that money could have been dumped into other money-making ventures.

6 years a lot of inflation? Really? Granted, i'm not investing 4B dollars, but you don't invest that and expect it to turn profits that fast. Especially when i cannot generate anything to make a profit with for another 3 years.(2012 purchase, 2015 TFA).

They're spending over a billion on park expansions, too. That won't turn profit for a few years either.

Haha, I realized this a few months back and I honestly can’t decide if I like TLJ more or less purely for my love of John Carpenter.

It’s EXACTLY the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like that, check these out. Johnson`s response in the second video is probably a troll as he has become one of the biggest on twitter but the content is another example of the cloud that hangs over this guy. Throw in the broom stuff from Harry Potter and its beyond a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 years a lot of inflation? Really? Granted, i'm not investing 4B dollars, but you don't invest that and expect it to turn profits that fast. Especially when i cannot generate anything to make a profit with for another 3 years.(2012 purchase, 2015 TFA).

They're spending over a billion on park expansions, too. That won't turn profit for a few years either.

I'm not saying what Disney should or shouldn't have expected to make off the SW purchase by now.

I'm just saying that making a profit requires more than recovering the $4b figure itself. I'm thinking at least $5b by now.

And making the SW purchase a "good deal" for Disney might require more than just technically making a profit, depending on how their other cash investments have been doing. They could have put that money into something else 6 years ago.

Actually, Disney *should* have already made a profit. Disney bought Star Wars with BIG PLANS. Brought in JJ. A movie a year, YUGE merchandising. They hit the starting blocks ready to go! Star Wars was supposed to be bullet proof. They messed up big time. Do you see Marvel movies performing worse over time? Do you see Marvel movies not performing well when other major films come out? 4 billion dollars...and you dont want think they wanted thst earned back after six years?!?! Bwahahaha!

A better way to calculate profit isn't to add up box office receipts, but actual profit off of each film. Recouping the costs of each film is just recouping even more expense on top of the aquisition cost.

You don't buy a SW with plans to be in the black, totally in short order. It's a long term investment. An NFL team sold over the spring for a bit over 1billion. You think the new owner plans on turning a profit in the next few years? No. It's an investment. Next year, it's worth more than he paid for it.

Same this is true with SW. They paid 4B then, if they were to try and sell it today, they'd probably be asking 7-10.

If they really wanted to turn a profit off the investment this quickly, they'd do a better job with the property. The mismanaged R1 and Solo. I'm very interested in seeing the original story for R1 before the reshoots. I think it could have been better before that, but we'll never know. Solo, no way it makes what it did as a comedy.

Judging by how Lucasfilm employees are responding to any legitimate criticism about anything, I think they're pretty content on the money they're making. Otherwise they'd be worried about ticking off the fans... which they apparently are fine with.

Judging by how Lucasfilm employees are responding to any legitimate criticism about anything, I think they're pretty content on the money they're making. Otherwise they'd be worried about ticking off the fans... which they apparently are fine with.

I don't know. Seems like corporations these days care more about making profit yearly as opposed to being ok with it going down a year or two knowing a huge pay day is coming in the next 2-3 years. LFL/Disney see 1+B for TLJ and think all is well in the business sector. Do you care that people are bitching about it if you just scored that much BO? I doubt it, it's one of the biggest ever. They almost assuredly blame Solo on the @#$% that went on prior to ditching the comedy aspect and the bad press that went along with it, coupled with being too close to TLJ.

Before they consider listening to the criticisms (frankly some are not worth listening too, but a number are), they'll have to have something like 9 come up noticeably short. There are still too many possibilities for them to blame things on as opposed to people not liking it being the real factor for them.

I don't know if the bit being tossed around about licensees looking to redo contracts is true, but if it is, that should be massively telling.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back