Does anyone make copies of their decals and Photo Etch?

whb64

As the title asks... does anyone do this? I started making copies of my decals before cutting the sheet. I am thinking about doing the same with PE parts.

A number of people scan and reprint decals- OK as long as you own the original decal sheet and it is for your own use.

Photoetch is very complicated to produce (special films and chemicals just to make a single layer) on your own, it would be easier and cheaper to just buy an additional set (plus it gives the person who spent considerable time creating it the ability to continue making product)

I've been giving thought to scanning decals, if only for the purpose of being able to replace them in 20 years or so when they start falling off

A number of people scan and reprint decals- OK as long as you own the original decal sheet and it is for your own use.

Photoetch is very complicated to produce (special films and chemicals just to make a single layer) on your own, it would be easier and cheaper to just buy an additional set (plus it gives the person who spent considerable time creating it the ability to continue making product)
Yeah this would be strictly for my own personal use.

As for the PE, I wasn't planning on making it out of metal, rather resin printing it. I just verified my printer can handle .1mm with no problem and go down to .047mm, so it should be able to print small detailed parts for when a PE part flies across the room into the unknown, which has happened to me a few times!

I have done decals. I scanned the Moebius classic Battlestar decals, cleaned them up and made the shade of red darker.

I also have just scanned a copy of the Polar Lights 1/1000 D-7 decals. I messed up the first set and scanned a set from another copy of the model I own.

Important safety tip: Micro-Sol and Micro-Set are not interchangeable.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back