ANH extended Death Star conference room scene

"Cosmic Force".

Reminds me of "The Power Cosmic" wielded by Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc.

Or "The Source", the cosmic power tapped into and used in Jack Kirby's New Gods comics. And the hero actually turning out to be the big baddie's son. And the grey planet-sized base used by the big baddie. And...

Luke is mocking the galactic attitude about him swooping in to save the day as the larger-than-life legend. Got that plain as day at my first viewing. Don't get the confusion there at all.

Same here.

He could've accomplished the same thing by calling it by its actual name: a lightsaber. Having him refer to it as a laser sword was contrived and awkward sounding. It was horrible. The last thing I wanted to think about in that theater was little Ani. And that's exactly the image the term conjured.

The Wook

I mean, I can get not wanting to be reminded of Li'l Orphan Ani and his particular vernacular, but I figured "laser sword" was meant to be merely sort of the "common" term for the weapon, as in what the average non-Jedi might also describe a lightsabre as being. As in, it's the kind of language you'd hear in a child's fairy tale (which tracks to Anakin's use of the term as a little kid). The whole point is that it's meant to be a silly description of a silly idea implying that it's silly for people to assume that Luke can singlehandedly save the day.

That's how I took it, anyway. I actually had forgotten about the use of the term in TPM, though, since I've largely purged that film from my brain.

Luke is mocking the galactic attitude about him swooping in to save the day as the larger-than-life legend. Got that plain as day at my first viewing. Don't get the confusion there at all.

No confusion, just that Luke should be calling it a lightsaber because he knows what it is. Anakin, as a kid, might not have known it was a lightsaber, just that it was a sword with a laser.

No confusion, just that Luke should be calling it a lightsaber because he knows what it is. Anakin, as a kid, might not have known it was a lightsaber, just that it was a sword with a laser.

Yeah, it was a lame attempt to mock the tone, spirit, and reverence for what came before - both out of and in-universe - and another scene that perfectly encapsulates the criticism that TLJ felt like a movie that knew it had an audience watching - but "hey!" - it's "subversive" :p

From Shattered Empire, we have the First "Luke Skywalker saves the day" moment. One wonders how many more he'll have over the next quarter-century. I, personally, have no problem seeing him get kinda bitter. Like, "I've been trying to inspire you people to stand up and do something! Not just expect me to do the heavy lifting for you over and over!" The term he used was perfect in that scene, no reaching for meta-meaning needed.

I've post it before, but I guess I should again, some pics of the prologue and first chapter from the 1976 novelization that my Mom got and read back before the movie came out.

The basic outline of the prequels, Palpatine by name, the "Dark Lord of the Sith" title, it's all there. Everyone thinks that was stuff George came up with in the 90's. It wasn't.
7c2e97f253d189fff290756451548db0.jpg
a5ef0e94dc0323dfeaa3639181b6e9f5.jpg
11e9fa4b05986c09173cec489ccc5ec4.jpg
d825029f7a5cb17b26efad2f8a522b0f.jpg

Last edited:
I've post it before, but I guess I should again, some pics of the prologue and first chapter from the 1976 novelization that my Mom got and read back before the movie came out.

Yea, it was just never spoken on screen, but the concept was there. BTW, re-reading the ADF novelization pages now just reminded me how badly written pulp both the SW and Alien novelizations are...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back