Alex Sector - M.A.S.K.

M Bison

Alex_Sector.jpg

So I have decided to tackle this project to wear to a convention in October. I need help as I don't know where to start. I was thinking maybe trying to get a hold of a damaged Royal Guard helmet from Star Wars and modifying it. Maybe go the foam route? Not real sure. I'm not very experienced in helmet builds so any help would be appreciated.

I highly approve of this. I always loved his best -- just edging out Viper and Backlash. As to approach, what's your skill set? Over in the Star Wars section, in Fierfek's Star Wars pepakura thread, should be a link to a pep Royal Guard helmet. That'd make a good starting base if you're comfortable modding something like that after stiffening. Work-cost versus material-cost. Yeah, you're dumping valuable time into it, but IMO that beats butchering a replica helmet you've plunked down upwards of a couple hundred for (what I tend to see them for out there). I've used pep patterns before as templates for sintra, and I've seen them used for cutting thin (2-3mm) craft foam in similar fashion.

If you're set up for mold-making and casting, you could take the pep build, fill it in, and then add on and cut away as needed to make the initial sculpt and go from there.

Hard to know what direction to point you without knowing what you have on hand and what you're good at, that you could get it done in that timeframe. I mean, you could always model and 3D-print it. *shrug*

Id say it depends a little on what your skills are. You could use the pep files to do a foam build as well, much quicker than paper/resin. Making it with sintra would be very similar to foam, it would be stiffer so it may be a little harder to get the curves, but it would be thinner.

Good luck!

First off, God bless you for keeping a light shining on the brilliance that is M.A.S.K. For this particular mask I would say foam is a good choice. The materials are relatively inexpensive and as long as you are patient with it you should be able to get some decent results regardless of your skill set. I'd recommend watching Evil Ted on YouTube for tips and tricks with foam props, the man is a genius with foam. Evil Ted Smith

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back