Stallone getting "Back" in shape at 71 for RAMBO V

I'd heard nothing of Ryan Gosling's involvement in the reboot. I was referring to the Tiger Shroff starring role reboot. unsure if that's still in the works or not.

I actually enjoy the so call Marvel Green Screen bull****, but I do agree it wouldn't work for a Rambo movie, be it sequel, reboot, or what have you.

I think Stallone has the chops to pull this off, I just hope they rely more on practical effects over CGI. I felt it was overused in IV.

(1) everybody in Hollywood know that stallone wanted Ryan Gosling "IF" a Reboot would be done.

(2) Stallone is able to pull this off and he will do.

I agree that for someone like me who HATE Greenscreen & CGI , it felt strange to detect some minimaliste CGI Effect in Rambo IV
I understand stallone choice for this over truly expensive explosive blood pack for 50 soldiers and the transport into jungle.
EVERYTHING is more expensive to do now (in 2008 back then & even MORE now 10 years later !)
you will NEVER see Ultra Expensive with NO CGI effect action movie like Rambo III , Never Ever Forever , It will cost too much.
its the main reason Disney & Marvel go this cheap way. creating empty shell universe (star wars and gay pride spendex heroes movies filmed in front of a green scree)
but saying CGI was "OVERUSED" in Rambo IV ....its a ridiculous statement when you compare to ANY Action movies made since 2000

The LAST movies i wanted to watch before i pass away was :

a LIVE Ghost in the shell movie : turned as the worst lemon of the year that falled down to the bottom to meet Ultraviolet
BLADE RUNNER 2049 : didnt meet my expectation , but its not a bad movie
a very last PREDATOR movie : will not meet my expection , but i will truly enjoy it over Star Wars & Marvel ones !
a very last RAMBO movie : will certainly not meet my expectation compared of the first 4 ones , but cant leave without watching a last one.

otherthan theses , i feel that i fading away and dont belong to this new generation , i will probably never ever watch any new movies aside the next George Miller one and will enjoy the classics i have in my videolibrary:

All the black & white Samurai movies (i own 250 , the better ones) All movies made by Charlie Chaplin , Hitchcock , Coppola , Stanley Kubrick , Spielberg , Mc Tiernan , Rambo , Rocky , Dance with Wolves , Triology the man with no name , Once upon a time in the West , Leon the Professional etc etc The Hollywood GOLD Era.

First Blood was a punch in the face when it was filmed , the first modern big budget action movie.
...but personally and a bunch of 7th Art aficionados truly enjoy Part II at an Higher Level with the help of James Cameron Script and agains 80% of the mass , we truly enjoy Rambo III for the Epic Scale Planification & Budget , the MOST expensive Non-CGI Action movie ever created in the history of mankind.
I liked John Rambo (IV) but not at the level of the mission and the rescue.

sounds a lot like TAKEN, girls go missing, retired man "with particular skills" goes on a mission to save missing girls, sex trafficking, retired man makes bad guys pay etc. :unsure

sounds a lot like TAKEN, girls go missing, retired man "with particular skills" goes on a mission to save missing girls, sex trafficking, retired man makes bad guys pay etc. :unsure

I totally agree with you that this kind of scenario run since the dawn of action movies , but you have to understand the geographic location where Rambo retire, just aside the mexican border with all the cartels involved that became more and more dangerous.
+ its near Rambo's Familly Ground (I hope the, where he learned his silent skills and how to shoot a bow with his navajos grandfather.

How it will involve London, Bulgaria, and the Canary Islands is beyond my comprehension...

Personally I would have HIGHLY PREFERED a simple story of the kidnapping of the neighboor daughter.
that would have been enough to trigger him making a last mission on the other side of the border with a simple navajo's familly knife & traditional bow and drop the knife and his life while she able to cross the Mexico/Arizona Border. filmed with the cinematography of Cohen's Brothers : "No Country for old men"
That would have been humble , simple & effective.

Let see the development of this last chapter , hope they will call it Rambo V : LAST BLOOD

Last edited by a moderator:
(1) everybody in Hollywood know that stallone wanted Ryan Gosling "IF" a Reboot would be done.

* I'm not in Hollywood, so I had never heard this.
(2) Stallone is able to pull this off and he will do.

** I hope so. Have to wait and see.

I agree that for someone like me who HATE Greenscreen & CGI , it felt strange to detect some minimaliste CGI Effect in Rambo IV
I understand stallone choice for this over truly expensive explosive blood pack for 50 soldiers and the transport into jungle.
EVERYTHING is more expensive to do now (in 2008 back then & even MORE now 10 years later !)

but saying CGI was "OVERUSED" in Rambo IV ....its a ridiculous statement when you compare to ANY Action movies made since 2000

** I suppose overused was the wrong term. What I meant was "Too Obvious" when it was used. CGI can be, and had been, better in many other movies that predate Rambo 4.

I'm sorry, but I disagree that practical effects are cost prohibitive compared to CGI, especially CGI done poorly. A single blood bag and squib isn't very expensive, and bought in bulk, quite affordable compared to hours upon hours of CGI. It's also better acted with practical effects, because the actors have a physical cue to react to, rather than having to assume the position and hope the CGI guys are going to add it in right. Practical effects just look better. But I do admit there is a place for CGI effects, too.

Considering the massive amount of equipment moved into the jungle to shoot the movie, an extra truckload of physical effects and props is nothing. I'd use practical effects for the Hero shots, and CGI for the background shots. A guy in the back of the crowd getting mowed down can do without practical effects, but the guy front and center, crystal clear and in focus, needs practical. Just my opinion.

Crappy CGI blood shots aren't there to save money over practical effects. They happen because CGI blood can be easily dialed up & down in post-production. More visible blood pushes a movie's rating into 'R' territory and they like to keep their options open. There is TV broadcasting to consider too.

i'm just happy to see Sly still active and acting. i'm sure money is obviously a driving factor but i like to think he's more so still going because it's something he legitimately enjoys. Rambo IV (or "John Rambo" or whatever) was an absolute blast, as unnecessary as this sequel likely is, i'm still excited and looking forward to seeing more.

IMO 'First Blood' and 'Rambo' might as well be treated as two different franchises.

FB does need respectable storytelling & realism and doesn't necessarily need Stallone.

'Rambo' just needs throwaway writing so Stallone can do his thing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back