Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 9:45 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #76

    thd9791 said: View Post
    I think that wired cast let loose the secret of what may have been in the Shared Stunt (or v3) clamp during production: a card like the ESB graflex.

    That saber was incredibly re-decorated before it's public travels. You can see the brush strokes on the windvane covering up the vintage paint job. The black on the undersides of the emitter are part of the original paint too I think.
    So for the slow crowd (me) you think that picture Seth just posted of the detailed V3 is the same item in the screenshot I just posted? Or are you just saying the cards are likely the same but not necessarily the base hilt?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    IA, USA
    Messages
    2,941
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:03 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #77

    Wasn't the Wired resin stunt listed as the one fired out of R2? That would explain why it has no nipple; it was ground down to fit inside the gag R2 when its top closed.

    Also, remembering what Tom has said about there being 7 of these things on set (by a former member on the site who was working on set for that, that day), I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't others that had the nipple ground down and others that still retained them (in the archives at Lucasfilm, I'm sure).
  3. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    IA, USA
    Messages
    2,941
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:31 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #78

    ms80444 said: View Post
    So for the slow crowd (me) you think that picture Seth just posted of the detailed V3 is the same item in the screenshot I just posted? Or are you just saying the cards are likely the same but not necessarily the base hilt?
    I think he means that the V3 resin stunt gives a clue as to how the actual V3 looked at the time of its use in RotJ for filming (at least, at a certain point). The pic of Luke hovering over Vader with it before tossing it aside is, as you assume, the V3 but I'm not sure if it's the actual V3 or a resin stunt.

    Personally, I think both the clamp and the card was added, for whatever reason, last minute on production of RotJ just prior to it being molded. For most of the V3's life as a dueling stunt, it seems like it had the clamp band missing. The current clamp band and the PCB card in it, that's seen in the resin stunt, makes me think they were sourced from whatever other stunt props they had. Not prior to RotJ did the prop carry that specific clamp band (or possibly a card). And it wasn't until well after production wrapped, that it was modified to more resemble the Hero, specifically with the replacement of the card and its repaint.

    We know by the rehearsal photo, of Hamill and Prowse on the walkway, that the V3 had that specific clamp band by that time, but not the paint re-work, and possibly the PCB. And knowing that the nipple is a separate piece, I can only assume that it was removed for this part just for rehearsing (how the emitter hasn't fallen off, I don't know).
  4. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    2,153
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:33 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #79

    That screenshot is greató it looks like the wired resin. I like this synergy! So the V3 card weíve come to know is a post-movie thing. @slothfurnace is about to get some requests!
  5. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:35 PM - Thick traces on PCBs #80

    ms80444 said: View Post
    So for the slow crowd (me) you think that picture Seth just posted of the detailed V3 is the same item in the screenshot I just posted? Or are you just saying the cards are likely the same but not necessarily the base hilt?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The screen shot u posted of Luke holding the saber is the v3. (The metal sister of the V2)

    Seth posted the large detailed picture of the resin ďr2 popperĒ saber. This saber most likely was cast off the v3, going by the holes in the clamp. The reason we question things is because the V2 and v3 had ďnipplesĒ that mechanically held the stunt blades on.

    The V2 had its stunt blade removed and used as a hero. The v3 retained the blade (except for 1 shot we have with it off including the nipple with it) and the v3 was used as a stunt blade for empire

    I believe Luke uses it to cut the end of the speeder off, right before that scene when Luke ignites the saber, he ignited the V2.. you can tell by the color on the windvane, then when he swipes the speeder, heís holding the v3

    Then we see the v3 through out the sword fighting in the throne room. When Luke walks along the cat walk, heís holding the V2...

    When Vader is stalking Luke under the stairs, look at Vaderís hands. Heís holding Lukeís V2... weird right (speculation is Vader taunts Luke to come out and Luke throws the V2 at him, and Vader picks it up)

    U can see the v3 windvane color pretty good through out the sword fighting in the throne room. Iíve posted some good screen caps of the windvane itís it weathered paint job. The emitter of the v3 at this time has a splitter paint job on the emitter like the V2

    And the booster on the v3 looks almost bare at this time with very little black spots on it

    In the picture u posted Luke is defiantly holding the v3, he turns it off. But I DONT think the saber he throws is the v3.... I think that is a resin stunt...

    With all my babbling I forgot the origin of your question... damn am I getting old now I have to come back and see what the heck Iím doing

    Edit: ok so we were talking about nipples again, one of my favorite subjects.. anyway

    So the picture Seth posted I believe they used a casting off the v3, because of the holes in the clamp. With that being said, we have a resin copy of the v3 with a circuit card in it like the graflex! And the throne room scene you posted prettt much seals the deal that that clamp card is a circuit board as well!

    Now if we saw the other side of the saber Seth posted we could 100% prove it to be the v3 because the grenade (rings) have a stepped edge in it on the v3.

    If itís a resin copy of the v3, this picture Seth posted should have the stepped edge on the other side

    My speculation, they took a picture of this side because the other side IS stepped, and this side looks better lol
  6. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    IA, USA
    Messages
    2,941
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:40 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #81

    halliwax said: View Post
    When Vader is stalking Luke under the stairs, look at Vader’s hands. He’s holding Luke’s V2... weird right (speculation is Vader taunts Luke to come out and Luke throws the V2 at him, and Vader picks it up)...
    I've read differently, and it's Vader that snatches it from Luke and Luke goes into hiding under the platform. Either way, I'm glad they changed it in the film at the end because either of those is just dumb.
  7. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 10:41 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #82

    PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I've read differently, and it's Vader that snatches it from Luke and Luke goes into hiding under the platform. Either way, I'm glad they changed it in the film at the end because either of those is just dumb.
    I heard, Luke threw it at Vader. Vader taunts him, talks about turning leia, and then Luke uses the force to pull it out of Vaderís hand and into his own

    Idk if there is any truth to any of it. But itís what Iíve heard/read

    I donít mind it either way
  8. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 26, 2017, 11:32 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #83

    PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    I've read differently, and it's Vader that snatches it from Luke and Luke goes into hiding under the platform. Either way, I'm glad they changed it in the film at the end because either of those is just dumb.
    This was my understanding. After the catwalk collapses and Luke hides, Vader allegedly picks up or force pulls Lukeís saber from the ground and there was supposed to be some sequence of Luke getting it back but it got too convoluted and they cut it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    4,479
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 12:19 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #84

    Halliwax and Poopa - very, very good explanations! I didn't know they had the V3 on Endor cool!

    Halliwax, do you have those screenshots of the V3 in the throne room with the paint job?

    I also never thought about the V3 having a clamp normally. Maybe it didn't, holy cow
  10. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 12:38 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #85

    So I *may* disagree on a few items in Halliwaxís description. But itís not a firm disagreement. First, I agree that Luke on the catwalk has a V2. However, when Lukeís stuntman is shown after Vader throws the saber, I think that guy may have a resin V2 or something along those lines - Which again goes back to my questioning if there is more than one V2. I have more on the multiple V2 idea but would rather sleep on it and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. But Iím also not positive the swinging saber at the speeder on Endor is the V3, either. Halliwax do you have something definitive on that? would love to see!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  11. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    2,153
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 1:52 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #86

    This book is going from insanely specific, to intentionally vague. It's the only way I'll make it through this!
  12. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 8:44 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #87

    thd9791 said: View Post
    Halliwax and Poopa - very, very good explanations! I didn't know they had the V3 on Endor cool!

    Halliwax, do you have those screenshots of the V3 in the throne room with the paint job?

    I also never thought about the V3 having a clamp normally. Maybe it didn't, holy cow
    I can host them tonight, Iíve been studying them since Dan announced his v3 run

    Star Wars marathon was on a weekend or so ago, while watching them u could really see the windvane and emitter good

    Iíll report back tonight
  13. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #88

    ms80444 said: View Post
    So I *may* disagree on a few items in Halliwaxís description. But itís not a firm disagreement. First, I agree that Luke on the catwalk has a V2. However, when Lukeís stuntman is shown after Vader throws the saber, I think that guy may have a resin V2 or something along those lines - Which again goes back to my questioning if there is more than one V2. I have more on the multiple V2 idea but would rather sleep on it and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. But Iím also not positive the swinging saber at the speeder on Endor is the V3, either. Halliwax do you have something definitive on that? would love to see!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The stunt man when jumping into the little computer circle thing, before the back flip has the anh stunt (aluminum tube, dressed with black tip)

    As for the back flip I never looked into what the stunt man is holding in the flip
  14. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 8:50 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #89

    ms80444 said: View Post
    So I *may* disagree on a few items in Halliwaxís description. But itís not a firm disagreement. First, I agree that Luke on the catwalk has a V2. However, when Lukeís stuntman is shown after Vader throws the saber, I think that guy may have a resin V2 or something along those lines - Which again goes back to my questioning if there is more than one V2. I have more on the multiple V2 idea but would rather sleep on it and look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. But Iím also not positive the swinging saber at the speeder on Endor is the V3, either. Halliwax do you have something definitive on that? would love to see!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Had to re read, almost 100% sure stunt man is holding V2 when falling. And I mean almost 100% positive...

    I doubt they would cast the V2 when they had Multiple casting of the v3. Why go through the hassle of setting up all the casting, when I already have a few resin v3ís around

    Fun fact ms, check out the back ground when chewie is Han are fighting in the beginning on ESB

    The 2 Hoth Rebels pass a stunt saber to one another, is it resin? Is it the V2 or v3? Itís a cool little easteregg

    Apparently they are holding it upside down and using it as some kind of tool

    Forgot if it has a nipple or not... Iíll post that tonight as well when I get home
  15. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 8:58 AM - Thick traces on PCBs #90

    halliwax said: View Post
    The stunt man when jumping into the little computer circle thing, before the back flip has the anh stunt (aluminum tube, dressed with black tip)

    As for the back flip I never looked into what the stunt man is holding in the flip
    Agreed! The jump into the computer circle is definitely that weird ANH stunt. I think the backflip is the same, but donít quote me on that.

    The one I was thinking is when Vader throws the saber at ďstunt-lukeĒ And the bridge collapses and all the sparks fly. heís got something that looks like a V2 - whether itís real or resin, Iím not sure - but Iím currently skeptical that either way itís the same item we see on the throne room chair. Like I said, I have more than this for discussion purposes, but I want to try and assemble it today in a semi-coherent fashion to be dissected.

    First is the shot of Luke still trying to tell Vader heís good, the next is a few seconds later when Vader throws his saber at stunt Luke. Look how much dark black paint is still on real Lukeís emitter compared to stunt Lukeís. The nipple on real Lukeís also looks different, but itís possible thatís an illusion.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 9:04 AM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #91

    Yeah that to me is the v2, the emitter is all banged up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 9:08 AM - Thick traces on PCBs #92

    halliwax said: View Post
    Had to re read, almost 100% sure stunt man is holding V2 when falling. And I mean almost 100% positive...

    I doubt they would cast the V2 when they had Multiple casting of the v3. Why go through the hassle of setting up all the casting, when I already have a few resin v3ís around

    Fun fact ms, check out the back ground when chewie is Han are fighting in the beginning on ESB

    The 2 Hoth Rebels pass a stunt saber to one another, is it resin? Is it the V2 or v3? Itís a cool little easteregg

    Apparently they are holding it upside down and using it as some kind of tool

    Forgot if it has a nipple or not... Iíll post that tonight as well when I get home
    Well - so youíre getting to my maybe/possibly theory - that there were castings of the V3 dressed like the V2... Iím still really, really unsure. But that was a potential working theory at the moment.

    Incidentally - *if* that were the case, it may explain why some of the stunts at Yuma, seem to have some V2 type markings and weathering patterns around the emitter and on the bodies. With all the madness on that set, Iím finding it difficult to believe the prop guys found time to bother painting those stunts. And I think the theory that some were already done for the throne room makes more sense. But Iíll say again - itís a working theory and definitely could be wrong.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ms80444; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:14 AM.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 12:36 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #93

    On a semi related note - this hilt looks so much better with a normal card in it. It may not be perfect, but anything is better than the wide band monstrosity.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. halliwax's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Messages
    9,431
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 12:39 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #94

    ms80444 said: View Post
    On a semi related note - this hilt looks so much better with a normal card in it. It may not be perfect, but anything is better than the wide band monstrosity. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b3418a923e.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím on the same boat, was never much a fan of that after production circuit board tape jobber

    Thatís a beautiful v3 btw!!
  20. RPF Premium Member thd9791's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Messages
    4,479
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 1:24 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #95

    ms80444 said: View Post
    Agreed! The jump into the computer circle is definitely that weird ANH stunt. I think the backflip is the same, but don’t quote me on that.

    The one I was thinking is when Vader throws the saber at “stunt-luke” And the bridge collapses and all the sparks fly. he’s got something that looks like a V2 - whether it’s real or resin, I’m not sure - but I’m currently skeptical that either way it’s the same item we see on the throne room chair. Like I said, I have more than this for discussion purposes, but I want to try and assemble it today in a semi-coherent fashion to be dissected.

    First is the shot of Luke still trying to tell Vader he’s good, the next is a few seconds later when Vader throws his saber at stunt Luke. Look how much dark black paint is still on real Luke’s emitter compared to stunt Luke’s. The nipple on real Luke’s also looks different, but it’s possible that’s an illusion.

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fe7ea6d85a.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...527962ec46.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's able to reflect that much light, it's definitely metal, and thus logically the V2.

    They famously didn't have much on hand when it came to lightsaber props, which was why the V2 was brought in in the first place.
  21. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    2,153
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 1:51 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #96

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stunt.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	650.3 KB 
ID:	782611

    Stunt double with a Graflex bladed-stunt.
  22. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 2:44 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #97

    So, I agree 100% there is a dented emitter V2 and thatís the one Brandon has and thatís all good. Iím 100% on board with that. But as it were, the ďdented emitter V2,Ē which we see on the throne room chair also has a chipped nipple. Also, the little piece that goes inside the nipple is appears in many cases either entirely black or partially black.

    In the shot of real Luke - heís clearly holding the dented emitter and the black mini-nipple. Stunt luke however, I personally donít see that emitter as being as damaged as the other and I donít see that the little black mini nipple in there at all. And the black mini nipple is still on Brandonís prop. The one Iím questioning - the one the stunt guy is holding - looks empty to me and I donít think the emitter is nearly as damaged. (The last picture of course is just my own V2 to Help better illustrate the hollow nipple).





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  23. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    2,153
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 2:49 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #98

    Given the nature of the stunt sequence itself, I’d say that’s a resin saber. Logic would say it’s a resin V3– maybe painted to be V2ish, but they play so fast and loose with the sabers in this movie I don’t see them taking the time to match anything exactly.
    Last edited by SethS; 3 Weeks Ago at 6:53 PM.
  24. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    152
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 2:59 PM - Thick traces on PCBs #99

    SethS said: View Post
    Given the nature of the stunt itself, Iíd say thatís a resin saber. Logic would say itís a resin V3Ė Iís day maybe painted to be V2ish, but they play so fast and loose with the sabers in this movie I donít see them taking the time to match anything exactly.
    And I agree! I think its possible itís a resin V3 painted to look like a V2. And it could explain the sail barge resin saber or any of the other many stunts at Yuma that have the V2 markings.

    Though if you really want to start scratching your head - and you think Iím a little nuts about the version where the emitter isnít as dented and doesnít have the black mini nipple - look at this photo:

    This emitter is still in good shape, The main nipple is not chipped as weíve seen in other photos and itís missing the black mini nipple. Yet it also has the cone in the back.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  25. SethS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    2,153
    3 Weeks Ago  Dec 27, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: Thick traces on PCBs #100

    I think a thing to remember is that the paint changes throughout production, it’s shedding the whole time, and likely taking damage too. Not knowing the sequence of all scenes and when they were shot doesn’t help.

Similar Threads

  1. My Luke Lightsaber PCBs (and some others')
    Darth Lars, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2015, 7:53 PM
  2. Help thick foam
    markIII, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 1, 2013, 8:17 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 10, 2007, 4:32 AM
  4. Found a Curcuit board. w/ all gold traces
    Darth_Pain, Replica Props
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 6, 2006, 11:32 PM