Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Middle Earth (aka - New Zealand)
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 7:33 PM - District 9 Assault Rifle Build - Finished! (Pic heavy) #1

Hey guys. So I'm a huge Weta fan and love the D9 guns. I got halfway through @wondersquids Arc Gen resin kit when we decided to pack up and head overseas for a while.

For a long time I've wanted the Assault Rifle and to this day kick myself sideways for not buying the last one Weta sold at Armagedon (NZ's lame version of Comicon) 8 or so years ago for $800 NZD. Which is like $35 USD! Lol. All that to say, the Assault Rifle has been a grail for me for a long time.

Currently in Canada, I have some down-time, so I managed to pick up this 3D printed kit of the Assault Rifle from a guy in Croatia. Arrived today.

The print looks pretty good and definitely the most accurate 3D print of this gun I've seen.

Will need some minor mods, including some small detail greeblies just above and back from the trigger.

There are 2 or 3 flaws in the design, but pretty easy fixes. Here you can see half a divot printed in the wrong place (easily filled) and where the bottom tube is mounted to the gun is meant to be flat.

Front upper tube is a little fatter than it's suppose to be, so might replace that.

The best part of this thing is the size, almost 100% full scale.

So before I begin, I have some decisions and I'd love your input...
    1 - Adding moving trigger and electronics. This is an obvious mod and I seriously considered it. Things like a sound board that made the right sound and maybe LEDs on the tips of the 24 pointy thingies (yes, that IS the technical term), or at least a LED in the barrel that lights up when fired. However, watching the scenes with the rifle over a few times, there really isn't any part of the gun that lights up. Just the electricity that generates then bursts out. A little hard to replicate outside the CG world. Which is probably why Weta produced a static prop as the screen used prop was most likely static too.
    2 - Adding weight. Bit of a catch 22 here. I LOVE the weight of a solid resin prop, as the Weta replica is. So I'm inclined to add weight to this thing. But then, try wield a full-size Weta D9 Rifle around for a while and see if your arms don't fall off! It's great to hold for a couple minutes, but would suck to walk around with at a convention. This being much lighter is perfect for cosplay, but as I'm not really into cosplay, it will spend most of it's time hanging on the wall. So I could go either way on this.

Feel free to share to your thoughts and opinions on both these topics, or anything else you wanna mention.

Cheers,
    T.
    Last edited by tmax; 7 Hours Ago at 9:53 AM.
    From
    The Twilight Zone
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 1:01 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #2

I was always bummed I missed out on Weta's District 9 guns, I loved the designs of these. Are they available in kit form at many places? As far as your question I would honestly skip adding lights since the originals didn't have them, they look great without them anyway with the color scheme they used. Sounds might be cool but I personally would skip that too and just make sure they have some heft to them.
  3. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 7:31 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #3

As far as weight, you could made a second set of cylinders / parts, with weight added to them, which would then be swappable with the lighter set via some sturdy connectors.
  4. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 7:38 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #4

Sweet. What're ya doin in the Great White ? Your PKD collection is pretty much the inspiration for mine lol.
    From
    Canada
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 11:41 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #5

look forward to seeing your finished work, that kit looks very detailed. It’ll make a hefty presence in the collection. Congrats. I have the Weta arc and rifle and absolutely love them.
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 8:20 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #6

Rusty85 said: View Post
    I was always bummed I missed out on Weta's District 9 guns, I loved the designs of these. Are they available in kit form at many places? As far as your question I would honestly skip adding lights since the originals didn't have them, they look great without them anyway with the color scheme they used. Sounds might be cool but I personally would skip that too and just make sure they have some heft to them.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. Not worth modding it if it doesnít actually make it a more accurate prop.

As far as availability, this is the only kit Iíve seen offered. Iíve only seen 1 other actually printed (not offered) and itís way undersized and inaccurate. Iím very happy with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 8:22 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #7

Mike J. said: View Post
    As far as weight, you could made a second set of cylinders / parts, with weight added to them, which would then be swappable with the lighter set via some sturdy connectors.
    I like your thinking. This is something I could do at a later date when I have access to the right equipment. Currently in my in-laws basement Iím pretty limited with what I can achieve.

From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 8:29 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #8

Win7ermute said: View Post
    Sweet. What're ya doin in the Great White ? Your PKD collection is pretty much the inspiration for mine lol.
    Thank you kind sir. Although Iím not sure if inspiring you deeper into a PKD addiction is a good or bad thing. Depends who you ask I guess, me or my wife!

Why we are here? To bask in your Atlantic Canadian winter of course. Sheesh! Itís snowing already. Lol.

Seriously though, here for a bit staying with my wifeís family until we move to the US (Texas) which will probably be next year after the movie I made comes out. Due for nationwide release in New Zealand in Feb next year...

https://youtu.be/Yhke8cgrarU

From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 8:35 PM - District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #9

Sewbacca said: View Post
    look forward to seeing your finished work, that kit looks very detailed. Itíll make a hefty presence in the collection. Congrats. I have the Weta arc and rifle and absolutely love them.
    Well played! I think Iíll always want the Weta versions, just coz theyíre by Weta. You go on the Weta Workshop Tour in Wellington and they have the molds of the rifle right there for you to touch and drool over. Then next to that is a Weta D9 Rifle literally chained to the workbench. The chain is there for guys like me that would surely try stuff that thing down their pants and bolt for the door yelling ďYouíll never take me alive Peter Jackson!Ē

I could outrun Peter any day

From
    Canada
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 9:23 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #10

Very cool to here you’ve got to go to the Weta workshop, must’ve been a great experience. Lol, they must’ve had some metal cutters laying around in the workshop to quickly cut the chain for a chance of s free D9

Your movie trailer looks awesome!
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 6:13 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #11

Very cool to here you’ve got to go to the Weta workshop, must’ve been a great experience. Lol, they must’ve had some metal cutters laying around in the workshop to quickly cut the chain for a chance of s free D9

Your movie trailer looks awesome!
    Thanks mate, I appreciate your compliment. :-)
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 6:20 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #12

Small update. Glued main body parts together.

I kept the main body in 2 parts for now for easier sanding.

After an hour sanding one side of the main body, I gave it 3 layers of filler primer. This was more of a test than anything, to see how well the filler primer works. But it also highlights all the parts that need work (joins, filament flaws, etc).

Will get far more progress next week.
    From
    Edmonton, CANADA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 8:09 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #13

Looks pretty damned good after that filler primer.
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 4:05 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #14

Looking spiffy despite the workspace
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 7:28 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #15

Kokanee said: View Post
    Looks pretty damned good after that filler primer.
    Thanks. Still got loads of sanding to do. No doubt one day 3D prints will be such high resolution you won't need to sand anything. Yus!

- - - Updated - - -

joberg said: View Post
    Looking spiffy despite the workspace
    Ha ha, well the table cloth makes it.
    From
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 10:12 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #16

Spent 12 hours on it today. Too tired to post pics. Update to follow...

From
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 7:27 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #17

Ok, here we go...

Quite a few parts of the 3D print needed work...

The end cylinder is too fat, or maybe the end of the rifle is too narrow. Either way the easiest fix was to mod the cylinder...

Another cylinder sits here, but the body of the rifle is the wrong shape to accommodate the cylinder...

First we make a hole...

I need to shape the part that the cylinder sits in. Next to me was an empty tub of protein with scoop...

Looks about the right size...

Washed, cut and fit in place...

Time to ice the cake...

Nice curve...

That'll work...

Next mod, the large lower cylinder is meant to sit on a flat surface on the body of the gun, but the gun is curved...

This leaves a gap which just won't do...

This time we'll recruit a yogurt container lid...

In place...

Filled and sanded...

Taking shape...

The end ignition nozzle didn't print very well, especially the rings...

Tried to tidy them up and they pretty much fell apart...

Went on a hunt for replacement parts and found a machined aluminium part the exact size! Stoked.

A few washes and a bolt...

Discovered another weak part while sanding...

Found a small part that inserted into the housing that I could glue the nib to...

Between all this, more filler/primer followed by sanding...

Did a test with the lower cylinder, no pre-sanding, just the raw print followed by filler/primer. 3 coats then sand. Another 3 coats, then sand. After 6 coats in total it was smooth enough to paint. This pick is after the first 3 coats before sanding...

The gas jets (or so I believe they are called), appear black in a lot of pics, but they are actually a very dark metallic...

Other parts painted...

The jets also have silver tips, took me a while to get this right as I'm using rattle cans. Got there on about the 23rd jet. Lol.

And this is where I am up to. Main gun body glued together. Then it fell over and broke in 3 places, so glued again. Then touched up with model putty. The repainted. Then sanded... on and on it goes...

By tonight I'll have the white coat down on the main body. Another 12 hour day...
    Last edited by tmax; 2 Weeks Ago at 7:36 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member MattgomeryBurns's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 8:12 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #18

So impressive. I love seeing these kinds of build pics.
    From
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:08 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #19

look forward to seeing your finished work, that kit looks very detailed. Itíll make a hefty presence in the collection. Congrats. I have the Weta arc and rifle and absolutely love them.
    Hey @Sewbacca can you please tell me what paint finish is on the rifle - gloss, satin or mat (flat). From what I can tell from the pics Iíve seen itís either satin or mat, but hard to be sure. Iím using satin white, semi-gloss back and gloss orange but will then clear coat the body of the rifle in satin clear. Unless itís meant to be flat?

From
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:10 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #20

MattgomeryBurns said: View Post
    So impressive. I love seeing these kinds of build pics.
    Ha ha, me too.

From
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:40 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #21

Final primer sealer...

Multiple layers of satin white...

Done for the day. I'll let it all sit for a day to let the paint cure before applying masking tape for the orange and black.

Also, hoping to get some alien "logo" stencils from a previous builder, or at least his print file. Will keep you posted.
    From
    Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 10:26 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #22

Wow your moving along fast. Looking good!
    From
    Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 10:34 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #23

tmax said: View Post
    Hey @Sewbacca can you please tell me what paint finish is on the rifle - gloss, satin or mat (flat). From what I can tell from the pics I’ve seen it’s either satin or mat, but hard to be sure. I’m using satin white, semi-gloss back and gloss orange but will then clear coat the body of the rifle in satin clear. Unless it’s meant to be flat?

For sure, ill get some closeup pics for you soon, try for late this eve if I have a moment after working. It appears mostly a satin finish, the shiniest parts are the alien goop on the small tube canisters along the shaft of the rifle. The black, white and orange finish are pretty flat with just that satin finish. Also has some metallic brushed weathering used on it.
    From
    Canada
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 1:28 AM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #24

Here you go hope these help with your build:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97DE73EE-A243-44F3-9DA9-28CC6FEF90CD.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	775258

Name:	CC06BA4B-B30B-4C3D-B65B-402387B95E61.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	775259

Name:	E490A0A8-4426-4FF2-A653-194F79647D0A.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	775260

Name:	CDBC1777-8DB9-47EC-8534-45377FEDAC07.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	775261

Name:	51B3265D-5E92-4D7F-A1E7-85EA3B265164.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	775262

Name:	971D502D-28ED-472E-975D-4156ECC12DE2.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	775263

Name:	F46A8849-C948-4384-9004-8E6A802F0A25.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	775264

Name:	01106E3A-9F2B-4036-A19F-2AD7B024D259.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	775265
    From
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 2:22 PM - Re: District 9 Assault Rifle Build (3D kit) #25

Thank you @Swebacca for the pics! Very helpful. Looks more mat than satin in these pics.

Went to check on the rifle and found the white paint had finished a lot "bumpier" than desired. I mean, I can't spend hours and hours sanding out the print lines, only to leave a rough paint finish! So, more sanding and a repaint. This time a nice wet coat to ensure a smooth finish. The grain from my iphone in these pics makes it still look a little bumpy, but trust me, it's smooth as...

Means I'll have to wait another day for it to dry again, but worth it. Besides still waiting to hear back about the alien "logos"...