MDF and glue? Scribing?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What is the best method for attached MDF to MDF? Is wood glue enough, should I use screws/glue together, or do I need to use epoxy? For some reason, in my head at least, wood glue doesn't seem like it would hold up well long term.

Also can you scribe a line into MDF?

The problem with gluing MDF is probably never going to be the glue. Most glues will hold, it's the MDF itself that will fail and allow the surface to peel away. If you can mechanically attach it together it's going to be all the better. Having said that, unless you're going to have a marching band on it you'll probably be just fine with only glue.

You can scribe MDF but it won't be as clean as with plastic. You'll almost always have a fuzzy edge, especially if you paint it and the raw edge swells. Experiment and see if you like the look or not.

-Rog

Mdf does not take screws well. Even with pilot holes, they can still strip easily and crack the edges of the mdf.

You can get mdf sealant to paint on. Once you've done that it will take paint pretty well even on bits that you've cut or sanded.

Screw and glue. Coat the screws in glue to give extra strength to the material around the threads.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Loctite 60 second glue sticks MDF like ***** to a blanket. And it's quick bonding, but allows some repositioning if you're quick!! I seal MDF with PVA glue painted on, after which you can use most paints or metallic waxes.

Ok, thanks. I might look at using something else. I was mainly looking at MDF because I can use my router to get the corners rounded off. Anyone know if you can use a regular router bit for plastic? Or would it just melt?

Anything small and spinny definitely melts plastic. A bandsaw, for instance, does pretty well because you can go slow and the blade is a large surface area. A scroll saw does not.

As far as scribing, another thing that came to mind that I've done on other materials is to spray on a bunch of filler primer and then scribe the primer, making sure not to get down into the substrate (the MDF in this case). It's worked for me in other cases so I don't see why it wouldn't for the MDF. Just depends on how deep of a line you need.

-Rog

Standard router bits will work perfectly well on acrylic and Sintra.
Mdf is easily glued using all standard woodworking adhesives and can be screwed and even nailed.
Unless the project is really large just gluing the pieces together will be perfectly okay. If you’re still concerned you can reinforce the joints by adding extra fillet pieces to the interior.
I've been using this stuff for thirty years on models, props and exhibitions and it rarely does it delaminate and it takes screws perfectly as long as you drill pilot holes first.
It doesn’t scribe well as the tool tends to drag on the fibres as you break through the surface. Much better to coat it with a high build primer as recommended by Rogviler and scribe that.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking at exactly what I want to use. I still may use MDF if it's cheaper than a comparable thickness of ABS or styrene.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back