Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

Yesterday was the first time out for my Chief Hopper cosplay, at Long Beach Comic Expo. There was a strong Stranger Things presence, a child Demogorgon, an adult Demogorgon, at least three Elevens, three Barbs, two Nancys, three Steves, and one each of Billy, Joyce, and Max. I think the number of Stranger Things cosplayers was in part due to Joe Keery making an appearance at the Con.

The whole point of my putting together a Hopper was to join all these people in celebrating the show we love, and that it did do! No weapons are allowed at LBCE so a donut had to suffice, in fact that was everyone's favourite part of the costume. My mug at various points in the day held coffee, ice mocha, water, Pepsi, and a nice West Coast IPA, a handy prop indeed.

With Nancy, who was going around handing out these Barb flyers

a0zKUJc.jpg

Here with one of the Elevens, sorry it's out of focus

IlqnUw6.jpg

My beard is grey, perfect for Dr Jones Sr and Allan Quatermain, but I had to paint it brown.

Last edited:
The cosplay gods were good to me today. I was able to find a vintage parka very, very close to Kaiju's today on eBay at a damn good price. It's made by Timber King (which I believe is either a subsidiary or similar company to United Pioneer) and the color and split hood look spot on. I'll have to inspect the pockets, zipper, and buttons more closely after I get it delivered before I determine how close it is to Hopper's. I'll be posting pictures after I recieve it later this week and start sewing the patches on. I'm very excited. This is by far the hardest part I've had to find for my costume.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen or addressed this, but it appears (in this picture, at least) that Hop has something besides his pen tucked away in his left breast pocket. What do you guys think it could be? Gum? cigs? mints? I know it doesn't really affect the overral outfit and accuracy, but I'm a stickler for these kind of details.
JimHopper.png

I hadn't noticed but now that you point it out, it can be seen in several photos.

If I had to guess I would say it's a small spiral-bound notebook. He would need something like that for police work. UPDATE: see below where they are identified as cigarettes.

Last edited:
As promised, here is the parka I got on eBay. It's a little darker than Hopper's (at least in this lighting). I'm going to take it outside in the light to see what color it really is tomorrow. The only major differences with this one and Hopper's are the sleeve zip pocket and the split hood is more of a black than a dark blue. It's a really nice coat and it should fit and look really great after I get it altered a little and sew the patches on.
IMG_2275 2.jpg IMG_2276.jpg IMG_2277.jpg IMG_2278.jpg

This is a great thread. My daughter wants to go as Eleven next Halloween, so I am thinking of putting together a Hopper costume. A few questions, if I may:

1.) Is the Stetson Sturgis the best non-animal felt option for the hat?

2.) We will be in Orlando on Halloween, where it can still be pretty warm, even at night. I’m guessing that the Flying Cross 19W6604 is my best bet for staying as cool as possible (I might have to skip the Henley)?

3.) Has anyone seen an Eleven build thread here? I did a title search for “Eleven” and got nothing. Plenty of external web sites that cover her “Elle” costume, but I always prefer to start here if I can.

Thanks!

Im doing a version of a 11 cosplay on my Stranger Things 2 thread but I haven't really started the 11 costume yet. What version of El are you doing?

My daughter says she wants S1 “Swedish cousin Elle” - pink dress, blonde wig, windbreaker, etc.

Last edited:
We will be in Orlando on Halloween, where it can still be pretty warm, even at night. I’m guessing that the Flying Cross 19W6604 is my best bet for staying as cool as possible (I might have to skip the Henley)?

I got the Flying Cross 19w6604 (which I have also seen numbered 40w6504) in Silver Tan (or Silvertan) and it's very comfortable.

We're warm here in Southern California, which is why I went with the short-sleeved Henley. I think the coolest thing to do, and still look correct, would be to cut off the collar of the Henley and sew it inside the Flying Cross shirt, or wear it like a Dickie. I'm thinking about cutting off sleeve-ends and wearing them like wristbands under the Flying Cross shirt (though onscreen you often don't see the Henley cuffs).

About the hat, the Sturgis I saw didn't have a bound brim, which you want. Overall I think the Stratoliner is just about the closest, though the brim is a tad too narrow.

Nvr7YWR.jpg

tL53eTX.jpg

My Stetson Stratoliner in Caribou after I removed the band and did the paint

rSsMBoU.jpg

Good luck!

Attachments

• tL53eTX.jpg
    tL53eTX.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 340
  • Nvr7YWR.jpg
    Nvr7YWR.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Great idea on sewing the Henley collar inside the shirt. However, am I correct in assuming that the shirt is a single-layer fabric, meaning I'd have to use stitching tape instead of needle and thread to avoid the stitchwork "showing through" on the outside?

I got the Flying Cross 19w6604 (which I have also seen numbered 40w6504) in Silver Tan (or Silvertan) and it's very comfortable.

We're warm here in Southern California, which is why I went with the short-sleeved Henley. I think the coolest thing to do, and still look correct, would be to cut off the collar of the Henley and sew it inside the Flying Cross shirt, or wear it like a Dickie. I'm thinking about cutting off sleeve-ends and wearing them like wristbands under the Flying Cross shirt (though onscreen you often don't see the Henley cuffs).

Good luck!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, which is why I'm thinking of the Dickie... or just be a bit warm! Still the Hopper cosplay is cooler and more comfortable than most.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back