Mold and cast WED clay sculpture- newbie help

Fxguy1

Hello everyone!

I’ve got a small sculpture in WED clay that I want to mold and cast, but I’m unsure of the best way to go about it.

Here’s the sculpt:
a51f38cc7cc2e4f05b84f94dab392da3.jpg

So I guess my biggest question is what material to cast it in that I can easily attach to the book, either with small screws from behind or glueing it directly to the cover.

I figure I can probably mold it with some hydro cal or ultra cal but not sure what to cast it in?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smooth-on has trial kits. I'd suggest silicone for the mold and resin for the cast. Since your is a small one you might not need to reinforce and support the mold. Quite straight forward

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Smooth-on has trial kits. I'd suggest silicone for the mold and resin for the cast. Since your is a small one you might not need to reinforce and support the mold. Quite straight forward

After I posted this last night I pulled out my copy of the Propbuilders Molding and Casting handbook and flipped through it. Stumbled upon the resin and thought the exact same thing. I had completely forgotten about resin as a possibility. I have some Brush-On 40 left over, however its Urethane Rubber, not silicone. Is there a particular reason why I would want to use the silicone over the Brush-On?

I'm still learning the thought process behind why to use a particular material in a particular situation.

Not really as lon you cast. The rule I follow is soft cast in hard mold and hard cast in soft mold. So whatever works for you is ok as long doesn't stop you from pulling out the final piece from the mold

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back