Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Brussels
    Oct 13, 2017, 1:49 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #26

Very nice work on the metal part, I'm looking forward to the next steps.
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of the wooden grips however, I think it might lower the quality of your overal result, but I might be wrong and it might work when assembled.
    keep up the good work
  2. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    Oct 13, 2017, 1:50 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #27

What are you doing for knobs?
    Oct 13, 2017, 2:11 PM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #28

Marvin3242 said: View Post
    Absolutely awesome! the amount of time and devotion that goes into these scratch builds always blows me away
    Thanks, Marvin! This definitely takes a lot of time (and patience!) - that rectangular hole took at least 3 hours to file to the right shape; I'm dreading the other two above where the glass eye will be.

eethan said: View Post
    Very nice work on the metal part, I'm looking forward to the next steps.
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of the wooden grips however, I think it might lower the quality of your overal result, but I might be wrong and it might work when assembled.
    keep up the good work
    Well, I did a quick mock-up the other day, and it didn't look too bad - although my judgement may have been clouded slightly by my excitement at holding a real metal lightsaber.

propmainiac said: View Post
    What are you doing for knobs?
    At the moment, I'm not too sure. I've been scouring local hardware/DIY shops for anything that might look good but so far I've found nothing. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
    Last edited by The14thDr; Oct 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM.
    Oct 14, 2017, 9:38 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #29

Using the same method as before, I added the two rectangular holes above where the glass eye will be.
  5. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    Oct 14, 2017, 10:16 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #30

I've found that part to be the most challenging. Nice job so far. Take your time don't rush it.
  6. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 14, 2017, 1:01 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #31

This is turning out great.. Color me interested

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Oct 14, 2017, 5:07 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #32

You got me also interested, for grips, you can buy black pvc sheet an work it as you worked the wood, or better, but a bit more work, buy T profile aluminum bars and cut to size, if you work the wood, filing and sanding the prepainted pieces can result really good, durability could be a concern thats why I recomend aluminum.
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Oct 14, 2017, 5:13 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #33

Sorry...I forgot to mention, that saber is looking really good. I made one some years ago, you can check this post there is also the shoulder puller plans.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238694

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=236024
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Oct 14, 2017, 5:24 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #34

Oct 14, 2017, 5:35 PM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #35

I've found that part to be the most challenging. Nice job so far. Take your time don't rush it.
    Hey, thanks propmaniac! Donít worry, I want to make as accurate as possible, so thereís no chance of me rushing this (otherwise I could run the risk of ruining the prop completely)

PropReplicator2 said: View Post
    This is turning out great.. Color me interested
    Thanks!

Hey, @Fabian 71! Iím pretty happy with the grips as they are, but if I ever need to replace them I will definitely look into those aluminium t-sections (I didnít even know they existed before today, so thanks!) Thank you as well for the link to your shoulder puller thread, until now I was at a complete loss for how Iíd replicate that detail. Your lightsaber looks great, I only hope mine will turn out just as good.
    Last edited by The14thDr; Oct 15, 2017 at 3:20 AM.
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Oct 14, 2017, 5:49 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #36

Take this ....Could save you some time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamp definitivo de enserio pero de enserio cuidado!!!!.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	766098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emmiter clamp.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	766099
  12. The good-looking one;) RPF Premium Member PropReplicator2's Avatar
    From
    Abilene,TX
    Oct 14, 2017, 6:12 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #37

The14thDr said: View Post
    Hey, thanks propmaniac! Donít worry, I want to make as accurate as possible, so thereís no chance of me rushing this (otherwise I could run the risk of ruining the prop completely)

Thanks! Today I sanded the bottom of the grips so they fitted the curve of the lightsaber. After that I couldnít resist a quick mock-up of my work so far.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...59d63b4c0c.jpg

Hey, @Fabian 71! Iím pretty happy with the grips as they are, but if I ever need to replace them I will definitely look into those aluminium t-sections (I didnít even know they existed before today, so thanks!) Thank you as well for the link to your shoulder puller thread, until now I was at a complete loss for how Iíd replicate that detail. Your lightsaber looks great, I only hope mine will turn out just as good.
    One day you could also attempt molding and casting those grips and make your some rubber, or resin ones for your future projects...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Oct 14, 2017, 7:51 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #38

Be really careful when bending the tabs for the emiter clamp with aluminum, I donīt know what alu grade you are using but take in account that Aluminum brakes easily, it is not like iron, brass or even steel, it cracks if the bendings are not perfectly polished and the bending radius must not be too small. The same for the Graflex clamp bendings.
    Oct 15, 2017, 3:18 AM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #39

Thanks for the heads-up, @Fabian 71. Iíll be sure to bear that in mind. And thank you for sharing those templates as well - they will definitely make building the clamp much easier!
    @PropReplicator2: Iím still weighing up my options for upgrades to the grips, so thatís another method to consider. It will certainly speed things up for my upcoming Vader lightsaber build..... oops, did I say that out loud?
    Oct 15, 2017, 4:34 PM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #40

Yesterday I sanded a curve into the bottom of the grips, and I couldnít resist a quick mock-up of the lightsaber so far.

Let me know what you think.
  16. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    Oct 15, 2017, 5:28 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #41

Looking good!
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Oct 16, 2017, 6:36 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #42

Looking good!
    Indeed. Although, may I humbly suggest something? Maybe the top edge of the grips need a little more sanding to remove the wood grain, and coat them with Plasti-dip.Other than that...awesome. I hope mine turns out as well.
    Oct 16, 2017, 6:43 AM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #43

Looking good!
    Thanks!

Tan Djarka said: View Post
    Indeed. Although, may I humbly suggest something? Maybe the top edge of the grips need a little more sanding to remove the wood grain, and coat them with Plasti-dip.Other than that...awesome. I hope mine turns out as well.
    Of course. The wood grain wasnít as visible before I painted the grips, so I think that the paint must have accentuated it and made it stand out more. I will add this to the list of ďfinishing touchesĒ.
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 11, 2017, 5:01 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #44

For weeks Iíve been searching for the perfect item to use as a base for the red button piece (of course, buying a ready-made one would have saved me a lot of trouble, but I prefer to make as much as I can myself - it makes the end result so much more satisfying.)

No matter where I looked, however, I couldnít find anything that looked good. In the end I settled on a piece of household junk that happened to be the perfect diameter, trimmed to the correct height and painted silver, with a cup washer and a small acrylic disk glued to the top.

Let me know what you think.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 11, 2017, 10:58 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #45

Hey @The14thDr ! Nice job on the button! For a bunch of found parts, it turned out pretty close. The real Red Button has a different bevel on the surround, that I realize you'll have a hard time duplicating with 100% accuracy this way, but I think if the red plunger sat down a little bit more I think it would look even better.

Any attempts on the Clamp yet?
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 11, 2017, 11:13 AM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #46

Hey @Ridire Firean! Thanks! If I sand roughly 1-2mm off the top of the red piece it should give the impression that it is sat a little further down.

And funny you should mention the clamp, my dad and I have just spent the past couple of hours trying to recreate it, and it looks great! (if I may say so myself ) We just need to add a bolt so that it can be clamped onto the lightsaber, then Iíll be sure to post some photos.
  22. RPF Premium Member propmainiac's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 11, 2017, 3:42 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #47

Awesome red button. What did you use as the base?
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 11, 2017, 5:43 PM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #48

Awesome red button. What did you use as the base?
    A toothpaste cap (the kind with a flip top). The 20mm diameter was perfect for this piece, so all I had to do was trim it to 7mm tall and add the other two pieces.
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #49

What brand of tooth paste, man. What brand?!?!

But seriously... That looks awesome. The thought has occasionally crossed my mind, but I never really looked into it. I checked my current tube of toothpaste, but the cap is tapered, so it's a no go.

Actually, another option I've used in the past is a on/off knob for a halogen torchiere lamp. Some places have replacement models, and in silver/chrome.
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 12:03 PM - ANH Skywalker Lightsaber Scratchbuild (metal - PIC HEAVY!) #50

Thanks! I donít know whether youíve seen any of my other builds, but I mostly work on a zero-budget (normally just cardboard and other household items) so I guess I have an eye for turning pieces of random junk into okay-ish replicas.

P.S. For anyone who is wondering, I can say for sure that ďColgate Triple ActionĒ toothpaste has the non-tapered cap.
    Last edited by The14thDr; 4 Weeks Ago at 4:36 PM.