Darkwing Duck build

devinsdrake

Hey there, started my DW build for Halloween a few days ago!
Here are some photos so far.

I started by making a basic poster board structure of my head with large spaces for my eyes. Sadly, I didn't take any photos.

Most of the colored parts as of now are just thin eva placeholders to get the shape of the actual head and to get the eyes positioned where I want them.

I started building out the cheeks and brought the brow forward, away from my natural head shape.
unnamed-7.jpg

right cheek sans build out structure
unnamed-8.jpg

Side profile. Still no bottom jaw! I may raise the top of the head a little still.
unnamed-9.jpg

I do think I have the eyes finalized though.
In the cartoon they are sometimes white and sometimes a light blue. I feathered a bit of blue on the edges and stuck with a white in the center.

The eyes are made of thin, clear, rigid plastic. I drew out the shapes, and left an extra .5" around the edge when I cut them out. Sandwiched the eye between two pieces off thin hardwood and used a drill to take out the pupils. The wood left a nice clean cut and took away the risk of tearing the plastic.
Then I flipped the plastic over and painted the back sides. This leaves a nice glassy surface for the front. I may or may not add black netting for the eye holes - we'll see
unnamed-10.jpg

Anyways, more progress to come.

I'll eventually papermache eyebrows and cover some stuff in pva glue.
I've started working on the hat and feet also.

Stay tuned!

I used to love DW! I am actually working on the smoke/grappling gun kit right now!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I saw this in the "What are you working on for Halloween" thread and I LOVE IT!!! Brilliant idea and now I REALLY want to attempt it myself although I'm not sure I possess the same skill set as you. Can't wait to see this build continue. Darkwing Duck was one of my favorite cartoons back in the day! Let's Get Dangerous!

-Ash

Nice idea. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished costume. I've thought about attempting Gizmo Duck in the past, sans the wheel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back