Where to get custom-printed fabrics for Yondu costume? (Foil printed? Gloss?)

Ein

Sr Member
So, hyper-specific question. I've been noodling around the idea of doing a Yondu costume from GOTG, but it is abundantly obvious that the costume designers from Marvel love love love to add textures to every surface of every inch of every outfit.

The fabric swatches in particular I'm looking at appear to be a red base with some kind of dark purple foil, I'm assuming heat-pressed on top.

These are samples of the actual screen-used material:

Here's a look at how it appears on the costume:

It's clear the O-shapes are some sort of reflective material. I was assuming maybe a foil print? It's not a hard pattern to recreate in terms of simple geometry, and I did a quick test pattern up in photoshop:

Now, in so far as custom fabric shops go, I've looked at the things I already know about like Spoonflower to get fabric by the yard. The best they can do is basically print this texture on there, but it will look flat and two-dimensional, and the O-shapes will not have the gloss or reflective quality I'm looking for. So what other options are available here? I have very little in terms of fabric equipment, or I guess I'd be considering trying to do some silk-screening with gloss inks. Where do you guys go to get these kind of special fabrics made?

For Vol 1, they used clear gloss inks with a little bit of pearl-glitter additive over dark maroon velvet as far as I can tell. I think they used the same fabric paints on both Star Lord's main jacket and Yondu's shirt.

The Vol 2 paint seems a bit different. I haven't examined it in detail yet from the little sample I got, but my first impression was that it was a solid color and not transparent and that they didn't use the exact same base fabric. (Could very well be wrong on that though- as again, I haven't scrutinized it yet.)

I still have the large aluminum frame from printing Star Lord fabric and I might re-purpose it to do Yondu's shirt. (One thing I'm not looking forward to is screen-printing onto velvet, because it will be very hard to control the stability of the print.)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back