Martian EVA Space Suit Build

Farrells Props

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So...... I think we can all agree..... The EVA suit from The Martian is absolutely gorgeous. I've seen a screen used one in person and they are so detailed!!!!!! I'll post updates of my progress on here. :)
the-martian-spacesuits.jpgwe-spoke-with-the-costume-designer-for-the-martian-to-see-just-how-realistic-those-fashionable-s.jpgwiredmartian.jpg1bc21f24b80632b098942887bc7fd1f1.jpgmartian-spacesuit-3.jpg2a2938c699af8d0d940d12bc151f1c28--mark-watney-suit-fashion.jpgthe-martian-space-suit.png

I also finished up these Machined Aluminum Connectors a couple weeks ago on my lathe out of aluminum. There are many different versions on the screen used props so I picked the ones I had the most pictures of. Still have to anodize it though. :)
yygf.pngIMG_5926.JPG

I've started on the armour of the suit. I started off by making a base out of cereal-box cardboard. I plan to make a masters and mold and cast resin versions. I used a hole punch for the screw Holes which is the perfect size for the no.6 Spanner Head Screws.
mrt20108544384.jpg

On the screen used suit, the armour plates have an interesting hex pattern/texture.
hexpattern.pngmreva5463784.jpg
The originals were 3D printed, finished, molded, and cast in a very durable resin. I believe the hex texture may have been a part of the 3-D print, For my build I scoured many different sites for inexpensive hex reflective tape as I knew it may have the hex pattern as a texture. I found a rubberized hex textured fabric that Joann's Fabrics carries, item number: 15212343 . Sadly, they don't ship it to Canada so I had to find an alternative. I considered hand cutting the lines if I couldn't find anything. I finally found some highway reflective tape made by 3M that had the texture I wanted.
3M-Reflective-Safety-2X10-Silver-White-Warning-Conspicuity-_1.jpg
Once the tape came in the mail, I got to work patterning and cutting out the shapes. I had to be sure to make sure the hexagons were facing the right way.
mrt20109.jpgmrt20110.jpg
Once they were applied, I attached thin craft foam to the back of he armour plate to make it thicker and allow me to countersink where the screws will eventually rest. Then I gave it a coat of primer to unify all the different parts.
mrt20111.jpg
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far. It still needs some more finishing but I think once that's done it'll be ready for molding, casting, and hopefully finishing!
IMG_2298.jpgIMG_2299.jpg
More to come!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back