Tantive IV and Death Star panel lights

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was just watching Moonraker a bit ago and in the Venice laboratory scene I remembered that some of the same round lights were used in that set design as are used all over the Tantive IV and Death Star on various panels. These guys:

tantive_iv_lights.JPG

Harry Lange did the art direction/set decoration for both films and these lights must have been a favorite of his. They are all over:

Moonraker-254.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-184.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-373.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-8225.jpg

Does anyone know the original sourcing for these lights? Make and model? They were obviously mid- to late-70s vintage but I wonder how long they were in production and if they can still be found anywhere. I'd love to have one or two...

Dan

This is great - thanks much! I just hated not knowing where these things came from and I knew someone here would know. :)

Dan

Were they really only used on one particular brand of furnace ? They seem like such a generic 70's type indicator light. Since furnace companies aren't generally in the business of making lighting you would think they just sourced them from a lighting company and these would be used on other electronics.

Anyway, I'm sure much smarter people than me have done inordinate amounts of research on this, just seems weird.

Yeah, I had the same thought - they'd have had to find and strip a lot of surplus furnaces to decorate the Star Wars sets! I'm sure you're correct that these were common light fixtures at the time and Wild Barfield just sourced something common. But I'm just glad to know something more than I knew before. Unsolved mysteries are like an unscratched itch and this place is great for scratching... :)

Dan

Pretty sure the Star Wars sets and studios were the same as the james bond studios. So likely the prop and set decorators re used them. They most likely had a large supply of surplus that got used and re used in different films.

- - - Updated - - -

So many other props and costumes were re used in other movies around that time. It makes sense

Hi 3DI,

I have been searching for these specific panel lights for years. They were all over movie sets in the 60s, 70s and 80s and then all of the sudden they just vanished! "I" have yet to see ANY show up on Ebay in the past 5 years. A few people have found 1 or 2 but nothing substantial. That doesn't mean they aren't out there. The Barfield furnace panel lights are the ones that have a photo associated with them but I'm sure there were many other industrial uses for them. Which is why its so odd that they just vanished.

My feeling is there is one guy who is sitting on thousands of them just waiting for the right time to reveal his horde. ;)

The Blue Realm replicas are AMAZING! They did a fantastic job. I would suggest using their replicas for all your panel light needs / requirements.

Thanks! Yes, the Blue Realm replicas looks great and I do plan to buy some. I may have to make a Death Star panel to hang on the wall just for the fun of it.

Been watching your Falcon cockpit build - amazing and so well done!

Dan

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back